P1000 FYI, Honda responce to heat problem

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Today I also called Honda, cant remember the gentleman's name I spoke too but he said they were aware of the problem. What seems disheartening is...... he informed me they were working on or trying to find a fix and they had nothing currently. He said I would be contacted by a case manager withing 48 hours.

Okay, completely off topic but I just decoded your screen name.

So 1967 Super Sport what? Camaro, Chevelle, Nova, Impala?

My Dad used to have a 1967 Malibu L79 that he ordered from the factory that he used to win a LOT of heads up drag races in. ;)

George201074

George201074

Jun 6, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No I hate being hot. I put it in and took the doors off the same night. My insulating jobs a bit hillbilly. I used a thin r16 foil coated insulation that comes in a roll. I'll add photos if I can figure out how
I get that and I'm not happy with it being at the dealer either. But, I don't have any trips planned in the next few weeks so if I can get a fix with info to share, so be it. I truly hope that whatever comes of this time at the dealer gives you and others something to bring to your respective dealers to push them in the right direction.

Also, as I understand it, Honda is going to tell the dealer what needs to be done. When I dropped it off, the dealer didn't seem too excited about having a machine he couldn't touch until he got direction/parts from Honda.

Here is my perspective on this machine: I spent, what I consider, a lot of money on a toy/tool. I am not very mechanical and I don't have a lot of free time so I am not going to be the one to tinker with solutions in my garage. I'm also not going solve their problem by removing an accessory or doors or anything else that is made for the machine. I understand that heat will happen because it has a motor and I am not looking for this to be like a jeep or other refined vehicle. But what I am looking for is the ability to utilize the middle seat without my passenger's undergarments melting to my seat.
So I guess this is the fine tuning portion of their R &D process; let's hope they get it right.
That's all fine but turn the ac off in your car when it's 90 you will sweat. Your sitting on an 80 hp motor in these things. A sharp knife and insulation is a 10 minute fix. The heat will be awesome come fall winter and spring. I will agree the heat is excessive but for 20 bucks it's m
I get that and I'm not happy with it being at the dealer either. But, I don't have any trips planned in the next few weeks so if I can get a fix with info to share, so be it. I truly hope that whatever comes of this time at the dealer gives you and others something to bring to your respective dealers to push them in the right direction.

Also, as I understand it, Honda is going to tell the dealer what needs to be done. When I dropped it off, the dealer didn't seem too excited about having a machine he couldn't touch until he got direction/parts from Honda.

Here is my perspective on this machine: I spent, what I consider, a lot of money on a toy/tool. I am not very mechanical and I don't have a lot of free time so I am not going to be the one to tinker with solutions in my garage. I'm also not going solve their problem by removing an accessory or doors or anything else that is made for the machine. I understand that heat will happen because it has a motor and I am not looking for this to be like a jeep or other refined vehicle. But what I am looking for is the ability to utilize the middle seat without my passenger's undergarments melting to my seat.
So I guess this is the fine tuning portion of their R &D process; let's hope they get it right.
Taking the doors off is 8 bolts. socket and maybe 5 minutes. Plus one less thing to rattle. Your busy? Hire me I'll gladly take your money to work on a toy. All the info you need is on this forum. Tools required tho.

1467845137695 1105876084

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
That's all fine but turn the ac off in your car when it's 90 you will sweat. Your sitting on an 80 hp motor in these things. A sharp knife and insulation is a 10 minute fix. The heat will be awesome come fall winter and spring. I will agree the heat is excessive but for 20 bucks it's m

Taking the doors off is 8 bolts. socket and maybe 5 minutes. Plus one less thing to rattle. Your busy? Hire me I'll gladly take your money to work on a toy. All the info you need is on this forum. Tools required tho.

View attachment 17923
I meant no disrespect at all and I hope you didn't take it as such. The point I was trying to make was that I want the machine to function as it was designed. I need the doors for my kids but I also can't have them riding in the hot seat. I have a bunch of sound proofing/insulation from when I had my Yamaha Viking but I fear that if I trap too much heat I will cause issues that Honda won't fix. I'm assuming the Honda fix will be similar to yours but we will see.

George201074

George201074

Jun 6, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I meant no disrespect at all and I hope you didn't take it as such. The point I was trying to make was that I want the machine to function as it was designed. I need the doors for my kids but I also can't have them riding in the hot seat. I have a bunch of sound proofing/insulation from when I had my Yamaha Viking but I fear that if I trap too much heat I will cause issues that Honda won't fix. I'm assuming the Honda fix will be similar to yours but we will see.
It's liquid cooled radiator in front. Keep it clean and your fine. I'm not offended at all. The doors off does help alot tho. But I am in and out often at times no kids. I really don't like the doors heat or not in my situation.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We shouldn't have to be removing doors to stay moderately comfortable. That's what you do with a 10yr old 1500 dollar rig, not an 18K top level sxs. I like my doors on even if I didn't have a 6yr old. Hopefully somebody will get the new fix installed soon cause we are all anxious to see it.

Reactions: educ8tedguess
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 17923

8 bolts to take the doors off? I looked at mine, it looks like 4 Jesus clips and pull the bolts....

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
We shouldn't have to be removing doors to stay moderately comfortable. That's what you do with a 10yr old 1500 dollar rig, not an 18K top level sxs. I like my doors on even if I didn't have a 6yr old. Hopefully somebody will get the new fix installed soon cause we are all anxious to see it.
My thoughts exactly.

Reactions: drfubar
advertisement
pgiannetto65

pgiannetto65

Dec 19, 2015
I talked to my dealer yesterday about the heat problem and the fix Honda has for it. They knew nothing about it so they called their rep. He told them there was a fix and I needed to bring my Honda into dealer and open a claim with Honda tech line. He said it's more of a prototype fix and are looking for feedback as to how well it works. I will be bringing in my pioneer today to dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hondasxs
George201074

George201074

Jun 6, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
8 bolts to take the doors off? I looked at mine, it looks like 4 Jesus clips and pull the bolts....
I took the hinges off so wouldn't bump my legs on them. But yea the pins would be easy as well.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What I am interested in is the fact that whether Honda is offering a manufacturer solution to the heat issue as related by so many here. Again, my insulation/blower combo makes things manageable, but a manufacturer fix is what we are talking about. Seems like at least 6 days ago someone mentioned that Honda acknowledged the problem and has indeed come up with a solution but we still have no idea what-so-ever what it entails except that the machine has to go into the dealer and it may take upwards of 3 hours labor. Someone should be able to tell us something soon.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Unless Honda's "fix" involves a blower, which it doesn't, you all are going to be sorely disappointed... my recommendation is that you spend the $20 and an hour of your time to install the bilge blower, and move on with your life. you'll spend more time and money carting it back and forth to the dealer to get the "manufacturer" fix, and you're still not going to be satisfied.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's already Thursday and no one has been able to even find out what Honda's prototype fix is. I wish they would email it to Hillary then the whole world could know. How are we supposed to be able to speculate if it is a secret?

PCB67SS

PCB67SS

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2015
Panama City Beach
I personally believe whole heartily Team Honda is working around the clock to come up with a fix, they are a very diversified company and will work through this. The silence during this process is to be expected as they do not want to push something out to all us owners that would be perceived as a band aid fix. I still stand by my decision to buy a Honda, based off of a long history of producing quality products and striving to make their customers happy and repeat buyers.
This is my first ever side by side so I don't know if this is just a common trait across the board with all manufactures or not, but then again I'm glad that I have Honda standing in my corner.

Reactions: educ8tedguess
ibleedjohndeeregreen

ibleedjohndeeregreen

Jun 21, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Unless Honda's "fix" involves a blower, which it doesn't, you all are going to be sorely disappointed... my recommendation is that you spend the $20 and an hour of your time to install the bilge blower, and move on with your life. you'll spend more time and money carting it back and forth to the dealer to get the "manufacturer" fix, and you're still not going to be satisfied.

I have installed the blower and the insulation under the seat. Heat is still unbearable while driving more than 20 minutes @ 10mph or slower. I have owned gators, artic cats, pioneer 700. Never had a heat issue before I bought the 1000-5 deluxe.

H

HondaTech

The "fix" i mentioned a few pages back is a large rubber mat that covers the whole under side of the front seat and some weatherstripping (sorta like the windshields). The customer I mentioned before hasn't brought his in yet but I hope to have some pictures to post soon of what it looks like installed.

ibleedjohndeeregreen

ibleedjohndeeregreen

Jun 21, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The "fix" i mentioned a few pages back is a large rubber mat that covers the whole under side of the front seat and some weatherstripping (sorta like the windshields). The customer I mentioned before hasn't brought his in yet but I hope to have some pictures to post soon of what it looks like installed.

Thanks for the info Honda Texh! Any idea if they are addressing the heat coming from the dash as well?

Reactions: Jbird
advertisement