Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well the blower results are in. Did Pete tell a big one? Heck no he didn't! (Not that I doubted him in the least lol). Some people don't believe seat of the pants testing so I brought along my temp gun. First I left blowers off and made the 2 mile blacktop section (50mph) and approx 1.5 mile fast sand/rock trail ranging from 15-30mph. Didn't push engine but didn't baby it either. Pulled over and shot the middle plastic section between seats. This was reading (it was around 9:15am).
IMG 20160713 092238968 480x853

We rode for around 3 hours and the difference was amazing. I'm not talking just noticeable, I'm talking blatantly obvious. Even splashing through puddles was comfortable. I could still smell the steam and it did get slightly warmer for a few seconds, but it didn't roast me alive like before with just the heat shielding. So on the way to trailer I took another reading. There's a steep, very rocky hill that is around a mile long (Joey can probably estimate better but it's long). Low range and running max speed around 6mph. It was around 1:20pm and 87 degrees. Reading is below
IMG 20160713 123259153 HDR 480x853

I find that pretty amazing and all for 34 bucks lol. Needless to say I'm a happy camper. I consider my heat problem solved. Thanks @PioneerPete and others that convinced me to do this. Obviously I highly recommend lol

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Is this test with bayouownbeer heat shield and does this include insulation to the underside of the center plastic panel?

MAV

MAV

Dec 18, 2015
OHIO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well the blower results are in. Did Pete tell a big one? Heck no he didn't! (Not that I doubted him in the least lol). Some people don't believe seat of the pants testing so I brought along my temp gun. First I left blowers off and made the 2 mile blacktop section (50mph) and approx 1.5 mile fast sand/rock trail ranging from 15-30mph. Didn't push engine but didn't baby it either. Pulled over and shot the middle plastic section between seats. This was reading (it was around 9:15am).
View attachment 18246
We rode for around 3 hours and the difference was amazing. I'm not talking just noticeable, I'm talking blatantly obvious. Even splashing through puddles was comfortable. I could still smell the steam and it did get slightly warmer for a few seconds, but it didn't roast me alive like before with just the heat shielding. So on the way to trailer I took another reading. There's a steep, very rocky hill that is around a mile long (Joey can probably estimate better but it's long). Low range and running max speed around 6mph. It was around 1:20pm and 87 degrees. Reading is below
View attachment 18247
I find that pretty amazing and all for 34 bucks lol. Needless to say I'm a happy camper. I consider my heat problem solved. Thanks @PioneerPete and others that convinced me to do this. Obviously I highly recommend lol
What all are you guys getting for 34 bucks? I'm looking and all I can find is one for 30.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8D0IC/?tag=sxsweb24-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I also spoke with Honda and they are sending the heat fix to the dealer for my dad's P1000-5. The guy didn't know much and couldn't tell me anything else. I sure wish some would give feedback and post pics to see what it really is.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is what I used... notice the 3" is "water resistant" and the 4" is not... it will be interesting to see which one lasts longer.
Amazon.com : Attwood Blower H20 Resist (White, 3-Inch) : Boat Blowers : Sports & Outdoors
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BMATFK/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Reactions: MAV
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 18246
View attachment 18247

LOL, thanks for the validation @Delton! But I have to say, that first temp looks a little low... there is definitely more than a 10 or 12 degree delta between blower and no blower under the same riding conditions. I know when I was creeping along before adding the blowers, that temp was more like 130 or 140. After adding the blowers, went back to the same trails at the same speeds with higher ambient temps, and never noticed the heat. The blowers had to have dropped the temp by 20 or 30 degrees.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LOL, thanks for the validation @Delton! But I have to say, that first temp looks a little low... there is definitely more than a 10 or 12 degree delta between blower and no blower under the same riding conditions. I know when I was creeping along before adding the blowers, that temp was more like 130 or 140. After adding the blowers, went back to the same trails at the same speeds with higher ambient temps, and never noticed the heat. The blowers had to have dropped the temp by 20 or 30 degrees.

His first reading was early in the morning and the second was hours later when ambient was 87f.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
His first reading was early in the morning and the second was hours later when ambient was 87f.
Exactly. There was a good 10-12 degree difference in outside temp. I admit it wasn't an apples to apples test, but with the outside temp difference, plus easy riding versus grueling conditions....and there was still that much difference with the gun. That's saying alot.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
advertisement
whayden2003

whayden2003

Mar 3, 2016
Slaughter,LA
Dropped it off at the dealership. The fix looks to me like it's just going to replacement the left mat under the seat with a full width one and tuck under the plastic between the lower seat and upper seat. Some rubber gaskets. I'll post pics Saturday of it installed. Looks like y'all could still use the blowers and the seat insulation some of y'all have already with this part.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
that sound good but what about the heat coming from the dash. Does the kit do something about the radiator heat.

ride long its fun perry

whayden2003

whayden2003

Mar 3, 2016
Slaughter,LA
Nothing for the dash heat. What I didn't like was he comment " the kit is designed to divert the heat from straight up to the back. Does this mean that the boys in the back are just going to get roasted now.

whayden2003

whayden2003

Mar 3, 2016
Slaughter,LA
I'm just getting the heat shield put on cause they want to. The heat is something that can be fixed. I'm not giving up this fine machine cause it gets a little hot.

Reactions: Hallboy88
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
that sound good but what about the heat coming from the dash. Does the kit do something about the radiator heat.

ride long its fun perry

I actually find the dash heat to be more annoying that the seat/back heat.

The Can Am Defender has some overlapping rubber flat sheets that were attached to the back of the dash, I couldn't tell how but I did stick my finger in between them and the heat was similar to the Pioneer just the flats were stopping it from getting into the cab. The Defender slot openings and gates were smaller than the Pioneer but I believe that it could still be done.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Dropped it off at the dealership. The fix looks to me like it's just going to replacement the left mat under the seat with a full width one and tuck under the plastic between the lower seat and upper seat. Some rubber gaskets. I'll post pics Saturday of it installed. Looks like y'all could still use the blowers and the seat insulation some of y'all have already with this part.

Please take some pics if you can. Looking at the parts and the quote on time it would take to install, I was wondering if it was attached underneath the back of the bed/underneath the back seat passengers feet. I was wondering if adding something like something like Dynamat hood liner under that and then add more under the seat along with some strips of it attached to the underside of the dash next to the shift levers would get rid of a very large percentage of the heat.

Right now, it is tolerable to me, however, I haven't ever crossed any water and gotten the butt steaming that others have gotten. However, I wouldn't mind it if it was cooler.

I will find out more this weekend as we are planning on trying out the flip up seats in the back. My wife may complain if she is going to be on a rotisserie.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exactly. There was a good 10-12 degree difference in outside temp. I admit it wasn't an apples to apples test, but with the outside temp difference, plus easy riding versus grueling conditions....and there was still that much difference with the gun. That's saying alot.
I demand a recount!lol

advertisement