P1000 FYI, Honda responce to heat problem

M

misterkit

Jun 30, 2016
ny
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Has anyone heard anything solid from Honda?

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone heard anything solid from Honda?
Hi misterkit!
I call American Honda every few weeks to get updates. I speak to a customer service supervisor by the name of Randy. Nice fellow, but, either they don't tell him much or he just won't say anything definite. Since I always get the same basic story "Honda is aware of the heat issue and they are working on a solution", I asked him, when you say that, do you mean Honda is aware of the issue and they are working on a solution for the NEW models or are they gonna fix the 2016 models? He replied no, no they are working on a solution for the 2016s and 17s. He also added that I would be "very happy" with it. I said "I'm gonna be very happy with the fix? He said yes and that he didn't know anything for sure but based that comment on his experience with honda addressing past issues. Bottom line is, I've been hearing this for a long time but it appears they will fix the heat issue some day. Just hope they do before I decide to sell it!

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I got a 3 & 5 year old grandsons they can't even ride with me due to the heat. I would sell mine now if someone would buy it. No need to spend $17,000 and can't even ride my grandsons. Honda made a junker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tehknics

Tehknics

May 26, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got a 3 & 5 year old grandsons they can't even ride with me due to the heat. I would sell mine now if someone would buy it. No need to spend $17,000 and can't even ride my grandsons. Honda made a junker.

I have both my 3yr and 5yr old boys in the back seat and they haven't ever mentioned the heat. Is that where your grandkids are having a hard time? I've got my 18mo boy in the front in a carseat and we can definitely feel the heat pumping out behind it, but being in a carseat keeps it off of him.

Reactions: GPR1500SC
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have both my 3yr and 5yr old boys in the back seat and they haven't ever mentioned the heat. Is that where your grandkids are having a hard time? I've got my 18mo boy in the front in a carseat and we can definitely feel the heat pumping out behind it, but being in a carseat keeps it off of him.

What's the average speed for your riding styles?

I ride 10-20mph and have not had anyone complain about the heat on trails.

Tehknics

Tehknics

May 26, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What's the average speed for your riding styles?

I ride 10-20mph and have not had anyone complain about the heat on trails.
Pretty much the same as you. I might hit 30 when the boys are asking to go fast, but it's only for a sec or two. Probably 20 average with kiddos to be safe. Nothing technical.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
My front & rear seats are both very hot. I have the deluxe 5 seater. I believe everyone that has one knows the seat is very hot

Reactions: AZhunter
advertisement
Tehknics

Tehknics

May 26, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My front & rear seats are both very hot. I have the deluxe 5 seater. I believe everyone that has one knows the seat is very hot

2017 1000-5 Deluxe here as well. Have only read about the rear being hot. I'll have to check it the next time we go out. The front middle is definitely hot.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Ok but for comparison to see if it has to do with riding speeds how fast do you go? Are you creeping around in first gear or do you stay in 2nd, 3rd and maybe even 4th?

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I would say my top speed with my grandsons is 3rd gear. I would think with a $17k dollar machine I should be able to crawl in first gear without any heat issues.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would say my top speed with my grandsons is 3rd gear. I would think with a $17k dollar machine I should be able to crawl in first gear without any heat issues.

I'll ride mine around tomorrow about lunch... heat index should be around 100-105, like it was today so it should get pretty warm. I'll take my IR Temp to it and see how warm it gets. I'll upload a video. Wish I still had my buddies FLIR camera I borrowed.

I have the full skids so there's little airflow.
It gets warm but to me no warmer than my 700 did. Steam is my only real worry with my kid in the middle seat. I noticed in 150 miles in TN that if I was moving it stayed pretty cool, but if I stayed in LOW 1st and 2nd a lot it got warmer.

Maybe it's perception, 100degrees doesn't bother me. Especially in Phoenix where 106F/3% humidity is only 93HIndex. It was a typical summer day 91F/66% humidity 106 HIndex here today.

My dad can't take the heat anymore at his age it really bothers him, my father in law can't either but he grew up in Vermont.

That 17k machine isn't intended to creep around in 1st gear all day. It can do it but from personal experience it needs some airflow to cool off a bit. The 700-4 would be much better suited to that kind of use. Less motor and power, in a similar amount of space, therefore less heat.

I use mine for working around our 20acres as I did with the 700 and the 700 was a much better creeper. The 1000-5 is much more fun for me, 90% fun and 10% work. The 700-4 was 75% work and 25% fun.

I used the 700 to skid 356 whole pine trees.
Yes I counted every last one of them.

01907efb28f35578b5b9b658e0cfc9fc

I use the 1000-5 to carry mulch, a 40gal sprayer, pull a drag harrow to smooth the driveway, and trail ride. Much lighter duty use.

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Yes my $17k rig is designed to creep. It's has a low and high range. I got a sprayer for mine also for spraying fence rows. Grab your butt your going to burn your butt up. Lol. I have had more SXS than most. I had one of the first Honda big reds. No heat. Great auto trans. I have spend well over $100k on SXS. I also ways bought 2 of each every time one for me one for my son. Now that he is grown he buys his own. But I told him and I will tell friends do not by the Honda pioneer to many flaws and Honda knows about the flaws and nothing has been done. I'm in Mississippi. We got up around 100 degrees with 80/90 percent humidity. But regardless heat should not rise up from the seats. Never had a heat issue with any Polaris SXS. Not knocking Honda. I just bought 2 Honda groms and a crf250l. And just got my grandson a crf50. No need to hide it the pioneer is junk.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok but for comparison to see if it has to do with riding speeds how fast do you go? Are you creeping around in first gear or do you stay in 2nd, 3rd and maybe even 4th?

When creeping around in 1st/2nd gear in Low range in hilly woods it wasn't too bad in the front seats but the back seat was miserable according to my wife. She told me to take her home before I went any further. She said the heat around the No Step bump was terrible doing that. She had red places on her feet where it was starting to burn her but she was wearing flip flops. At higher speeds out in the fields, she said it was bearable but she didn't want to ride anymore in the back seat unless I could figure out a way to cool it off.

I didn't find the front seat heat to be bad at all. I did notice it but it wasn't uncomfortable or anything.

I have seen on FB where people said getting a Power Commander and richening up the fuel/air mixture helped a lot with heat since the factory machine is supposed to be running really lean. I know this works on the Wolverine which is running really lean according to their forums.

I should be surprised that no one from Honda noticed this during testing but I don't think Honda really tested this the way people are using them. Slow driving/hills/mud/water. I think they focused most of their testing on more sport oriented driving (without water) and light yard work.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes my $17k rig is designed to creep. It's has a low and high range. I got a sprayer for mine also for spraying fence rows. Grab your butt your going to burn your butt up. Lol. I have had more SXS than most. I had one of the first Honda big reds. No heat. Great auto trans. I have spend well over $100k on SXS. I also ways bought 2 of each every time one for me one for my son. Now that he is grown he buys his own. But I told him and I will tell friends do not by the Honda pioneer to many flaws and Honda knows about the flaws and nothing has been done. I'm in Mississippi. We got up around 100 degrees with 80/90 percent humidity. But regardless heat should not rise up from the seats. Never had a heat issue with any Polaris SXS. Not knocking Honda. I just bought 2 Honda groms and a crf250l. And just got my grandson a crf50. No need to hide it the pioneer is junk.

I doubt your humidity estimates
C797c60b6befa059b9f27ba0c160f764

90a3ab002b3e53930704526c87b4d050

I can ride half a day in shorts and I only turn the fan on to move steam out the back. It gets warm but I can leave my bare hand on any of the plastic.

If the machines and climates are the same, the variable must riding style.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Mistress

P1000m5 - The Mistress

Took pics after riding. There is a hot SPOT in the rear passenger footwell but if your moving it cools off DRASTICALLY by 50 degrees and @70 with the fan.

The rest of the footwell is under 110, even sitting idling for 15 mins and the left rear footwell is under 110 in its entirety.

The Muffler cover doesn't get over 115.

Front footwell doesn't get over 100, none of the seats get over 100.

Reactions: adnoh
ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda of America, It is past time to stand tall and make it right with your customers. I can live with the front heat do to my many $$ invested for heat shielding and fans but back seats are useless in hot weather. Please cut me a check for the difference between a 1000-3 and a 1000-5. I will watch for it in the mail.

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Well said!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!