P500 Going to buy a p 500 and have questions

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I use the manual mode on 2017 mostly on tight trails, and like that it still does downshift automatically when slowing down in either mode. Don’t think the 2016 does that. A related thread. P500 - 2017 vs 2016. From a 2017 owner. The 2017 has a lighter green only used for that year. Its a little tank. If thinking about OEM accesories, check out HondaPartsKing for prices so you can be an informed negotiator with dealer..maybe throw something in the deal or at least the first maintenance service. Good luck, either P500 choice is a good one.
Thank you for the great info. I will for sure take a look at the accessories as I know I need to load it up with quite a few things.

Rob

Reactions: Bastardchild
R

RickMaynard

May 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Got everything set up the way I want with tires and switches for the lights and winch. Already a blast and these things are like tanks. Will climb anything!

Before the ride.

View attachment 72827

After the ride

View attachment 72828

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would invest in some straps that are more heavy duty for piece of mind. My straps are 1900# useful load and I use 3 of them for my P1000. It’s a bit of overkill but I never worry about them breaking. Just friendly advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Thank you for the great info. I will for sure take a look at the accessories as I know I need to load it up with quite a few things.

Rob
Hi all,

I went to my local dealer last weekend. The wife was semi willing to go since I just sold off my Suzuki Samurai

We looked at the 500, 700 and 1000. My wife's comments were pretty predictable: "I like this one, it has a cup holder.(p500)" "This thing cost as much as a car! (1000 LE)" and " How about this little one, it's a lot cheaper." So, even though I thought she would like the larger 700, she will was pretty much OK with the P500.

Not a single person came to help us while we were there climbing in the different models for 30+ minutes. I figured I would be swarmed by the sales guys when you pull up in a new Rover.

For those that have been in other 50" vehicles like the Kawasaki Brute and others, how would you say the ride is? Any others I should be looking at? I need it for general activities around the house: pushing snow, pulling down trees out of the way, moving dirt, mulch, logs … and of course a slow trail ride to watch the sunset.

I am very limited to 54" max on the width. So even with some bigger tires on the P500 I should be fine.

Thanks,

Rob

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hi all,

I went to my local dealer last weekend. The wife was semi willing to go since I just sold off my Suzuki Samurai
CIMG0009_zps7a43bc22.jpg
CIMG0009_zps7a43bc22.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We looked at the 500, 700 and 1000. My wife's comments were pretty predictable: "I like this one, it has a cup holder.(p500)" "This thing cost as much as a car! (1000 LE)" and " How about this little one, it's a lot cheaper." So, even though I thought she would like the larger 700, she will was pretty much OK with the P500.

Not a single person came to help us while we were there climbing in the different models for 30+ minutes. I figured I would be swarmed by the sales guys when you pull up in a new Rover.

For those that have been in other 50" vehicles like the Kawasaki Brute and others, how would you say the ride is? Any others I should be looking at? I need it for general activities around the house: pushing snow, pulling down trees out of the way, moving dirt, mulch, logs … and of course a slow trail ride to watch the sunset.

I am very limited to 54" max on the width. So even with some bigger tires on the P500 I should be fine.

Thanks,

Rob

The ride sucks but it's the smallest sxs on the market. You'll get a better ride from the other 50" machines but they won't fit it some of the tight spots that this one will...and they're not a Honda.

Reactions: Gassygordo
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@crewcabrob , For your pulling chores, seems like the low gears and clutch gear transmission on the P500 would work best. Had a polaris atv with plow and it took a toll on the belt drive. Not familar with the type drive on the others, but for low speed work and trails, the P500 serves me well as I like to be engaged as a driver and enjoy the paddle shifting. Just my thoughts (still owning a P500, 420 Rancher, Polaris 250, Polaris 400). Have not used the Polaris since getting the Hondas. Wife likes the power steering addition on the P500. Saw you recently joined, so if you test drive a P500 with auto, they shift hard off show room floor, but many post here on an easy adjustment to make it better, don’t let that deter you too much. JMO

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
For your pulling chores, seems like the low gears and clutch gear transmission on the P500 would work best. Had a polaris atv with plow and it took a toll on the belt drive. Not familar with the type drive on the others, but for low speed work and trails, the P500 serves me well as I like to be engaged as a driver and enjoy the paddle shifting. Just my thoughts (still owning a P500, 420 Rancher, Polaris 250, Polaris 400). Have not used the Polaris since getting the Hondas. Wife likes the power steering addition on the P500. Saw you recently joined, so if you test drive a P500 with auto, they shift hard off show room floor, but many post here on an easy adjustment to make it better, don’t let that deter you too much.

Thank you for the tip. There is a left over 16 at my dealer, so I may end up with that one if a deal can be made. I explained the shifting to the wife, and I am sure with just a few quick drives, she will have the process down.

Looks like this little beast is going to cost me a fair amount of money up front: P500, winch, windshield, rear cargo box from Strongmade, blade, wheels/tires, top... Bet I have way more than $12k into it quickly.

Thanks,

Rob

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
The ride sucks but it's the smallest sxs on the market. You'll get a better ride from the other 50" machines but they won't fit it some of the tight spots that this one will...and they're not a Honda.
I've read that people with larger tires and removing the rear sway bar, seems to help the ride a lot. Any other tips other than low PSI in the tires and then of course new shocks?

Rob

G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
Hi all,

Thanks,

Rob
HEY, I sold my 87 Samurai to buy my P5!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I've read that people with larger tires and removing the rear sway bar, seems to help the ride a lot. Any other tips other than low PSI in the tires and then of course new shocks?

Rob

I agree with this 100%, I think the tires were the best upgrade. A little larger....heavier tire helps tame the short gearing......smooths it out. I also removed the away bar but did it early on so I can't say how much it improved the ride. That said I've never been in a situation that made me second guess taking it off.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi all,

Thanks,

Rob

Take your wife for a ride through some bumpy terrain and she will change her tune. It's good that you are coming from a Samurai...it'll prepare you, but realistically, if you're limited to 54", you have no choice but a 50" machine. Not sure what a Kawasaki Brute is...unless you're talking about the BruteForce, but its hard to compare ATV's to SxS's...

Can't really comment on 50" vs 50", but the longer wheelbase of the others will make for a better ride while causing it to get hung up in the middle. Life is a compromise...

You grew up in Moab but moved to NB? No offense to NB....but WTF?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Take your wife for a ride through some bumpy terrain and she will change her tune. It's good that you are coming from a Samurai...it'll prepare you, but realistically, if you're limited to 54", you have no choice but a 50" machine. Not sure what a Kawasaki Brute is...unless you're talking about the BruteForce, but its hard to compare ATV's to SxS's...

Can't really comment on 50" vs 50", but the longer wheelbase of the others will make for a better ride while causing it to get hung up in the middle. Life is a compromise...

You grew up in Moab but moved to NB? No offense to NB....but WTF?
Yeah, its a long story on the Moab move. I was born in California and have been slowly making my way across the country. I'm pretty sure my wife won't be happy until I'm buried in Florida. We go there three times a year now to vacation.

My wife rode in my Samurai 3 times in the entire time I had it. She has a blown out knee, so getting in was a struggle. Then the ride was an issue and the noise. It had a stock exhaust, but the Sami was a tin can with no insulation.

I'm trying to keep the sxs small and inexpensive. So, I'm not really looking at other brands right now. I've had good luck with Honda ATVs.

I appreciate the info guys!

Rob

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah, its a long story on the Moab move. I was born in California and have been slowly making my way across the country. I'm pretty sure my wife won't be happy until I'm buried in Florida. We go there three times a year now to vacation.

My wife rode in my Samurai 3 times in the entire time I had it. She has a blown out knee, so getting in was a struggle. Then the ride was an issue and the noise. It had a stock exhaust, but the Sami was a tin can with no insulation.

I'm trying to keep the sxs small and inexpensive. So, I'm not really looking at other brands right now. I've had good luck with Honda ATVs.

I appreciate the info guys!

Rob
Have you already bought it? Don't, it will cost you a lot of money for accessories and you will jump at any excuse to drive plumb across the states to ride some where new, HA!

Reactions: 500oneer
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
No I haven't bought it yet. Our house on the acreage is still being built, we don't really need it until closer to completion. But yes, I assume this will end up costing between $12k-$14k all in.
Rob

Reactions: Chooglin
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
P500 seat is easy in and out. Took neighbor to ride after his knee replacement, no problems. Some sporty sxs with bucket seats might be harder.

H

Husker1

Oct 24, 2017
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 500
No I haven't bought it yet. Our house on the acreage is still being built, we don't really need it until closer to completion. But yes, I assume this will end up costing between $12k-$14k all in.
Rob
Rob if your in Omaha-ask for Kody at Dillion’s and get them to give you a discount for extras . I live in Omaha pm me if you have any questions or just need to bs. Terry.

Last edited:
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks for your suggestion. I sent you a PM. I live in Elkhorn so Dillon's is right down Maple from me.

Rob

H

Husker1

Oct 24, 2017
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for your suggestion. I sent you a PM. I live in Elkhorn so Dillon's is right down Maple from me.

Rob
Just had a good experience with him. His podium is right by the SXS on the lower level. Tell him I sent you. Terry

S

SchockSquad

May 14, 2018
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 500
Glad to see there's a few more P500's in the area, or soon to be. I'm about 6 blocks south of Dillon's. I got mine a few months ago across the river at Edwards. Thought about that 2016, but went with the auto transmission. Been working on accessories ever since.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!