P1000 Header / Exhaust assembly

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Im planning to get my headers ceramic coated - I have to ship them to the city since no one around here does it professionally. So - a couple questions...

Is the exhaust pipe a single piece all the way from the muffler or do the two headers slip out at the "Y" ? The service manual has it labelled as one unit but it looks to me like they might come apart. I guess I'll find out soon enough but I prefer to know what size I'm shipping before I take it all apart.

Do I need OEM replacement gaskets or would I find generic exhaust pipe gasket and muffler gaskets on-line or at the auto parts store?

Steve3432

Steve3432

Feb 17, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ghost... The headers have a flange on the end of them.. Then what I call a flare connects the muffler to the head pipe so it's actually 2 pieces .. The flange/flare connection is also a flexible one with the spring type bolt connection. it has a gasket that u will simply take out and put back in later ..... As far as the headers I'm not for sure I haven't fooled with them yet . Hope that helps you out

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Thanks - here's another picture.
The whole pipe looks like one piece on the diagram but it looked to me like it might come apart at the Y - near the muffler hanger (part #11).
I think I have a bigger part to ship than I planned.
IMG 2734 copy

Steve3432

Steve3432

Feb 17, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lol maybe so ...I took my factory exhaust off and put a new one on I'm almost 100 % sure the headers are one solid peice welded together and I know from the flange back the muffler is one peice and very heavy for a muffler lol

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
What muffler did you put on.
How do you like it?

Steve3432

Steve3432

Feb 17, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lol well long story short I put an hmf exhaust on my Honda rincon 2 years ago and it was night and day difference from throttle response to just running period but was way to loud .. so I decided to take it off the rincon and see what it did for my p1k .. It has a really good sound to it .. the last two rides I've had a lot of people ask what it was and my friend may actually be trading his terex 4 in on a pioneer soon just because of the way the pioneer sounds lol it won't see the stock system again

Reactions: ghost
S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
Lol well long story short I put an hmf exhaust on my Honda rincon 2 years ago and it was night and day difference from throttle response to just running period but was way to loud .. so I decided to take it off the rincon and see what it did for my p1k .. It has a really good sound to it .. the last two rides I've had a lot of people ask what it was and my friend may actually be trading his terex 4 in on a pioneer soon just because of the way the pioneer sounds lol it won't see the stock system again

notes.... on the rincon you would need a power commander to offset the flow of the HMF. since the 1000 has a narrowband O2 sensor it can deal with the exhaust some.

BTW for anyone looking to fiddle with the exhaust, that dang muffler has 7 hook points.... you could just about tow a trailer with it.

Jody

Jody

Jan 12, 2016
Manitoba
Sound clip or short vid?

advertisement
Steve3432

Steve3432

Feb 17, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sound clip or short vid?
Hey Jody I don't have one at the moment. I'll be back home Thursday from work and I'll get one for you or their is another post of someone that did a custom awhile back. That's where I got the idea just ran a different muffler

Jody

Jody

Jan 12, 2016
Manitoba
Hey Jody I don't have one at the moment. I'll be back home Thursday from work and I'll get one for you or their is another post of someone that did a custom awhile back. That's where I got the idea just ran a different muffler
sounds good. I'll what for the end of the week. thanks

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I ordered a stock headpipe yesterday to send off and have ceramic coated. Hoping that and some heat wrap tone down the heat a bit

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I ordered a stock headpipe yesterday to send off and have ceramic coated. Hoping that and some heat wrap tone down the heat a bit

Cool, will you coat it inside and out? The outside coating should help with rust if you wrap it.

I'll be watching this.

Sent from my iPad 7G

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool, will you coat it inside and out? The outside coating should help with rust if you wrap it.

I'll be watching this.

Sent from my iPad 7G
I was under the impression that it was stainless. For some reason I thought Honda had used SS exhaust components for several years now. Is that correct or is it just some components that are SS?

Waylan

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was under the impression that it was stainless. For some reason I thought Honda had used SS exhaust components for several years now. Is that correct or is it just some components that are SS?

Waylan

I'm not sure but I hope it's stainless.

@CashMoney, Either way, are you just coating the inside or both?

Sent from my iPad 7G

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I'm not sure but I hope it's stainless.

@CashMoney, Either way, are you just coating the inside or both?

Sent from my iPad 7G
I was going to coat inside and out if they can do that at whatever place I pick to do it. It's in at my honda dealer I just haven't had a chance to go pick it up. I'm curious too to see if its stainless or not. The one on my rig meow looks like it might be. But even stainless can rust depending on what alloy it is. It just usually holds up WAY better than regular steel

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I was going to coat inside and out if they can do that at whatever place I pick to do it. It's in at my honda dealer I just haven't had a chance to go pick it up. I'm curious too to see if its stainless or not. The one on my rig meow looks like it might be. But even stainless can rust depending on what alloy it is. It just usually holds up WAY better than regular steel
"Meow" - your cat must be walking in the keyboard.

I talked to the 2 most reputable ceramic coating shops in the area. They both said it's virtually impossible to get a decent coating on the inside that wont chip away. They both said they tried and could not get a coating that would stay intact under use. Apparently the coatings need to be applied a certain way to a specific thickness to be effective. Also, its difficult to get the interior of the pipe properly prepped.

Maybe some sophisticated equipment could get the job done but nothing like that around here.

So before you give money to a guy who says he'll coat the inside, I would ask some questions.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
"Meow" - your cat must be walking in the keyboard.

I talked to the 2 most reputable ceramic coating shops in the area. They both said it's virtually impossible to get a decent coating on the inside that wont chip away. They both said they tried and could not get a coating that would stay intact under use. Apparently the coatings need to be applied a certain way to a specific thickness to be effective. Also, its difficult to get the interior of the pipe properly prepped.

Maybe some sophisticated equipment could get the job done but nothing like that around here.

So before you give money to a guy who says he'll coat the inside, I would ask some questions.
Haha haven't you ever seen Super Troopers?

That sounds right about the inside of the pipe. I think I remember something about that last time I had one done. I was probably going to send it off to that jet hot coatings place

Reactions: ghost