Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Half the heat is lost on the way to the vents. It runs under the floorboards and by the time the air comes out the dash its luke warm at best. A relative had one. I would shoot the heat out right under the seat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Half the heat is lost on the way to the vents. It runs under the floorboards and by the time the air comes out the dash its luke warm at best. A relative had one. I would shoot the heat out right under the seat. There are four ports. Two of them come out the front of the engine compartment below the seat and the other to travel through the tunnel up to where most people mount a switch plate. You can close the vents.I’m planning on cutting my switch plate in half so that I can have the vents above. I’ll put a voltmeter somewhere else and I really don’t have any use for three cigarette adapters.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking the tubing was quite thin for how far that air has to travel. I have A roll of insulation and was thinking of wrapping the tubing the travel through the tunnel in that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eltobgi and BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the tip. I was thinking the tubing was quite thin for how far that air has to travel. I have A roll of insulation and was thinking of wrapping the tubing the travel through the tunnel in that.

Just get some heat proof tubing and wrap it around the headers! HA!

Reactions: BWAF and Skjerv40
S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just get some heat proof tubing and wrap it around the headers! HA!

The first thing I did when the weather started to get cold was takeoff that cabin comfort piece of rubber. Warmed it up in there about 10°.

Reactions: Eltobgi and BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The first thing I did when the weather started to get cold was takeoff that cabin comfort piece of rubber. Warmed it up in there about 10°.

That's where I'm headed.

Reactions: BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

What kind of insulation? Foam is the only option. Fiberglass will get waterlogged and become a mess.

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What kind of insulation? Foam is the only option. Fiberglass will get waterlogged and become a mess.

One of these is where I think I’m going to start.
087607a7b9359b19930e2c791ad73d7c

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I turned my bilge fan around today and have it ducted into the footwell, it helps on the moderate days. I am wondering if any one knows the ID of the radiator hoses? I know @Delton had asked a while back. I have a heater box I bought for a previous box truck and I plan on installing it in the footwell. It will eliminate the foot space for my center seat during the winter, but we typically only use that for a 3yo in a car seat anyways. It plumbs into the coolant system and has a radiator and 2 speed fan. I will post a couple pictures tomorrow.

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
If you have the soft top on the 5 seater. Sew a flap above the back window area to close off that opening. Use snaps on the roll bar so you can “ open it up from the roll bar area when towing”. Also snap the front of the top above the windshield. I have towed mine many miles with no adverse affects

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Looks like a well thought out design, wouldn't work for me, I've got a switch panel where there defrost vents are.
Yeah, but Smitty.......

From his link: “We bring in each machine and customize a heater that fits ONLY that machine”.

Reactions: Eltobgi
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I turned my bilge fan around today and have it ducted into the footwell, it helps on the moderate days. I am wondering if any one knows the ID of the radiator hoses? I know @Delton had asked a while back. I have a heater box I bought for a previous box truck and I plan on installing it in the footwell. It will eliminate the foot space for my center seat during the winter, but we typically only use that for a 3yo in a car seat anyways. It plumbs into the coolant system and has a radiator and 2 speed fan. I will post a couple pictures tomorrow.
Connection at radiator is 1". 27mm at the largest part of barb.
Personally i wouldnt waste my money on a Honda heater. Go to Jegs or Summit and do search for "racecar heater". Several good options for under 150 including 3spd fan.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you don’t want post thermostat heat, and want heat quicker, the oem Honda heater ties into the engine oil cooler coolant lines. Kinda kill 2 bird with one stone, warm your passengers up, and take some of the heat out of the oil that’s cooling down the clutches. That’s what i did with my aftermarket heater, the oem cooler lines are 3/4” I.d.

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the heater I already have. It might fit under the seat like the Honda kit, but I don't mind it in cab. I'm not going to install until we actually get cold here. My intention is to install T's in the cooler lines and have a ball valve between the T and this heater so I can remove it easily for the majority of our riding. We're also planning on buying the CEC enclosure for this winter. My bilge fan does a decent job for heat on our 50 degree days.

20181014 174239 20181014 174315

Reactions: Remington
S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve decided to go with a summit heater I had sitting on a shelf. I am using the upi manual as a guide. I ordered the Summit defrost and vent kits. It’s 28000 BTUs versus 16,000. Also three speed fan versus one. I think I might be able to run 4 vents out under the seat using the Y adapters from the kit I bought. Two in the middle of high and then one down by the feet on both the driver side and passenger side. I am also able to split the defroster duct. These defrosters actually go up into the dash and I think I should be able to maneuver them around wiring and the shifter.. Think I can put two in ...but one for sure. I got a good deal on the UPI kit and will probably just list it on eBay. I think I’m going to use the aluminum radiator hose y’s from it And possibly the radiator hose. I live in northern Minnesota where it gets down to about 40 below in the winter and can use all the heat I can get. Soft cab with quite of bit of DIY door and other gap sealing. I also had pretty good success Filling the factory doors with spray foam. I don’t think the UPI Heater is a bad option at all. It seems like high-quality and would be very good for taking the chill off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Firemedic530
S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On another note when I took the seat off there was an inch of sand under the driver side seat. Never noticed it when I was checking the oil. I used some black foam to seal it up and then glued some reflective insulation down. I don’t think sand and water getting in there would be helpful to the heater.

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK another post to take it vantage of all your valuable insight. I’m planning on mounting defrost vents to the top of my dash. I believe I found two spots that it will work. They are between the shifter and the ignition and above the glove compartment. I have attached a picture of the kit I’m using and I think in its current state it’s going to need quite a bit of fabrication. The vents will probably have to be shortened and because of the angle of the – I am planning on cutting the vents to match that angle. I will be losing the screw holes on the bands so I’m going to have to be creative on how to attach them below the dash so that the cover is flush. I’m wondering if anyone has any other Dash mounts that might be better or if someone has done a similar fabrication?E346a6f711d2f1b90096374f5aceafca

Reactions: BWAF

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!