P1000m5 heater

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am also planning on running a vent to the back seat if possible through the engine compartment and coming out on top of the oil change cover. That will at least give my kids a little heat when they are riding along and it can be shut when I’m using it by myself. I don’t think it should interfere with the box tilt. Anyone else have experience with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BWAF
S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also just from experience when cutting the radiator hoses stay as far away from the angles as possible. My mistake cost me about $15 the hose and about two hours of time. Don’t make the same mistake I did. A five minute job pretty much shut me down.

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry if this sounds like overkill to you southern boys & girls. Minnesota winters are a b@tch And I’m looking forward to getting the family out for a few cruises in the white stuff...As well as pushing snow, dear hunting, and hauling wood in heated comfort. Maybe Honda will put me in a commercial!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had this in my eBay cart just Incase my Powerball ticket hit. It didn’t.... Looks like it could survive a nuke attack. Alumilite Armor. 3c233fb6bd4ea80a49b64f6e28b7f9d3

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had this in my eBay cart just Incase my Powerball ticket hit. It didn’t.... Looks like it could survive a nuke attack. Alumilite Armor.View attachment 91100

Hey @Kilo427 you still have yours for sale?

Kilo may take a while to respond since he will be out but I think he had a NI(Open Box) setup.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
On another note when I took the seat off there was an inch of sand under the driver side seat. Never noticed it when I was checking the oil. I used some black foam to seal it up and then glued some reflective insulation down. I don’t think sand and water getting in there would be helpful to the heater.

Can you post a pic of the summit heater your using and your install please. Using my imagination of what all your talking about is overloading my brain! Lol. Im in going to do a heater soon but visual ideas work best. Thanks

Reactions: Cal and BWAF
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you don’t want post thermostat heat, and want heat quicker, the oem Honda heater ties into the engine oil cooler coolant lines. Kinda kill 2 bird with one stone, warm your passengers up, and take some of the heat out of the oil that’s cooling down the clutches. That’s what i did with my aftermarket heater, the oem cooler lines are 3/4” I.d.

Fyi, the OEM cooler lines on the engine are 1/2" ID. The heater core on the Honda kit is 3/4" ID. I went to install mine yesterday and the fittings I bought didn't fit. The new ones will be in tomorrow. Hopefully install Wednesday and I'll post pictures.

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed my heater today and it will be perfect when we install our enclosure. I put 1/2" x 5/8" barbs in the line between the water pump and oil cooler and turned the line on the water pump 90 degrees after I cut it. I then installed ball valves on the 5/8" lines that feed the heater. This will allow me to remove the heater in the spring and install a bypass in the line without losing coolant. I may have to add a small piece of hose and duct off the top to the windshield during the winter, but I'll do that when needed. I'm impressed with the heat it puts off.

20181103 151420 20181103 145338

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I installed my heater today and it will be perfect when we install our enclosure. I put 1/2" x 5/8" barbs in the line between the water pump and oil cooler and turned the line on the water pump 90 degrees after I cut it. I then installed ball valves on the 5/8" lines that feed the heater. This will allow me to remove the heater in the spring and install a bypass in the line without losing coolant. I may have to add a small piece of hose and duct off the top to the windshield during the winter, but I'll do that when needed. I'm impressed with the heat it puts off.

View attachment 92711 View attachment 92712
Nice. What kind of heater you got? Can u post a link?

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought it 4 years ago from northern tool for a box truck I had at the time. It's almost $300.00 currently on ebay with shipping. I couldn't figure out how to link it. I posted the model number in a picture on the first page of this thread. The Summit heater is probably the same, or close enough. It's a thermostat 17,500btu.

Reactions: BWAF and Remington
H

HondaTech

Do you guys think the Honda heater isn't that great because of the location of the water splice or is it just weak, too expensive?

I figure the easiest place to hook in was where they spliced, between the oil cooler and the water pump.

Reactions: Remington and BWAF
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you guys think the Honda heater isn't that great because of the location of the water splice or is it just weak, too expensive?

I figure the easiest place to hook in was where they spliced, between the oil cooler and the water pump.

I spliced into the same location and it works well and I lost very little coolant.

My concerns would be permanently mounting it under the seat with the mud and water we frequently encounter. It's also very expensive for what it is.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

I Do not own one. I’m in the market for a heater. I’ll tell you why I’m steering away from the honda heater...I have 2 friends that have the honda heater and they both say the same 2 things #1 not quite powerful enough just luke warm heat, dosnt really warm the cab. # 2 way too expensive the the disappointment of the heat it provides. That made me want to explore other options.

Reactions: Firemedic530
S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I Do not own one. I’m in the market for a heater. I’ll tell you why I’m steering away from the honda heater...I have 2 friends that have the honda heater and they both say the same 2 things #1 not quite powerful enough and # 2 way too expensive the the disappointment of the heat it provides. That made me want to explore other options.

I went with the summit racing heater and love it. I put it under the driver seat after spray roaming around to seal it up. It has a 3 speed fan, and is 26000 btu’s for around 100 dollars. Upi makes a heater, but it is only 1 speed and 14000 btus. I would however download the upi instructions to use as your plan and order a couple of the upi radiator hose aluminum Y’s (expensive but worth it). I put 3 vents coming out in front of the seat (1 through the drivers compartment and 2 through the engine. I am planning on running 1 through the tunnel to mount above my switch plate as a defrost( I am going to lose my extra 12v outlet and voltmeter spot). I am also going to try to run one back around the engine and mount a vent to the plastic oil change cover. My only wish is that it was set up for 2 in vent hose and not 3. I had a heck of a time working through the engine compartment with the 3 in hose. I am going to attempt to adapt to 2 inch for my final two routes. All but the upi y’s are on summits site. They have vent kits too. I’m deer hunting today and left it out last night. 22 degrees this am. I let it warm up for 15 minutes. The heater melted the frost off the windshield and I had to turn it down when I got in. I just have a soft cab with a glass windsheid. I will post som pics when I have it done because it doesn’t look pretty right now. Glad I did it this way. We have a family of 5 and I didn’t want to lose floor space.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I went with the summit racing heater and love it. I put it under the driver seat after spray roaming around to seal it up. It has a 3 speed fan, and is 26000 btu’s for around 100 dollars. Upi makes a heater, but it is only 1 speed and 14000 btus. I would however download the upi instructions to use as your plan and order a couple of the upi radiator hose aluminum Y’s (expensive but worth it). I put 3 vents coming out in front of the seat (1 through the drivers compartment and 2 through the engine. I am planning on running 1 through the tunnel to mount above my switch plate as a defrost( I am going to lose my extra 12v outlet and voltmeter spot). I am also going to try to run one back around the engine and mount a vent to the plastic oil change cover. My only wish is that it was set up for 2 in vent hose and not 3. I had a heck of a time working through the engine compartment with the 3 in hose. I am going to attempt to adapt to 2 inch for my final two routes. All but the upi y’s are on summits site. They have vent kits too. I’m deer hunting today and left it out last night. 22 degrees this am. I let it warm up for 15 minutes. The heater melted the frost off the windshield and I had to turn it down when I got in. I just have a soft cab with a glass windsheid. I will post som pics when I have it done because it doesn’t look pretty right now. Glad I did it this way. We have a family of 5 and I didn’t want to lose floor space.

That’s awesome man! I have soft doors, soft mid panel and a hard coat windshield as well. Can you post a link, part number or item number to the summit version you have please?
It was cold up at my cabin this weekend, I was deer hunting as well. Good luck to you.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!