2. Talon X
Reactions: BWAF
P

PineTree

Sep 9, 2015
Andover, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Skjerv40 did you have much room left over after you mounted the heater under the Drivers Seat?

JEGS has 2 kits:
28K BTU with 260 CFM & 2 vents. The size is 6.5" Tall by 9.5" Wide. $202.51
JEGS 70601K: Heater and Duct Kit | JEGS

40K BTU with 300 CFM & 3 vents. The size is 7" Tall by 16" Wide. $234.03
JEGS 70602K: Heater and Duct Kit | JEGS

I have the Honda Soft doors and they don't seal the best, so I'm thinking the 40K BTU would be nice. But I'm not sure if I can fit it under the seat OR if 40K BTU would be too much. I'm going to measure when I get home, but didn't know if you could remember how big the area is.

For an extra $30, the extra 12K BTU is tempting.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Buy a heated vest and wire your Honda for it... It keeps my fat ass more than warm on the coldest days. It's a lot cheaper and you can take it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: PineTree
S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Skjerv40 did you have much room left over after you mounted the heater under the Drivers Seat?

JEGS has 2 kits:
28K BTU with 260 CFM & 2 vents. The size is 6.5" Tall by 9.5" Wide. $202.51
JEGS 70601K: Heater and Duct Kit | JEGS

40K BTU with 300 CFM & 3 vents. The size is 7" Tall by 16" Wide. $234.03
JEGS 70602K: Heater and Duct Kit | JEGS

I have the Honda Soft doors and they don't seal the best, so I'm thinking the 40K BTU would be nice. But I'm not sure if I can fit it under the seat OR if 40K BTU would be too much. I'm going to measure when I get home, but didn't know if you could remember how big the area is.

For an extra $30, the extra 12K BTU is tempting.

There was plenty of room in there especially vertically but the tricky thing is to find enough space for both your heater hoses and the vent tubing to work their way out. Mine works really well but it takes a long time to warm up the anti-freeze. I’m dealing with some near zero temperatures right now and I don’t know if those extra BTUs are going to matter if there’s not enough heat in the coolant. I’m no engine expert but that smaller than a truck exposed aluminum Engine probably is not creating the heat that a big truck engine would. Correct me if I’m wrong and I’m hope I’m making sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Fl-Cracker

Fl-Cracker

Nov 19, 2018
Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The first thing I did when the weather started to get cold was takeoff that cabin comfort piece of rubber. Warmed it up in there about 10°.

Sounds good I’ll have to give it a try

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I just saw the dimensions. No way that bigger one fits.

That’s what I was thinking when I seen it.
The smaller one is like the summit just comes with some hoses

O

OleRed

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mounted the maradyne heater under the hood. gates makes some molded hose to help with routing. a put a defrost vent pointing down at passenger feet with one outlet and with a ‘Y’ ran one hose to each cup holder from the other outlet...modified the cup holders to accept the $15 vents from vintage air.

P

PineTree

Sep 9, 2015
Andover, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There was plenty of room in there especially vertically but the tricky thing is to find enough space for both your heater hoses and the vent tubing to work their way out. Mine works really well but it takes a long time to warm up the anti-freeze. I’m dealing with some near zero temperatures right now and I don’t know if those extra BTUs are going to matter if there’s not enough heat in the coolant. I’m no engine expert but that smaller than a truck exposed aluminum Engine probably is not creating the heat that a big truck engine would. Correct me if I’m wrong and I’m hope I’m making sense.

Yes, makes sense. Have you thought about putting a piece of cardboard or something to lower airflow through the radiator to help it warm up quicker? If its that cold out, I wouldn't think you would have to worry about it over heating the engine, but it might help with cab heat.

P

PineTree

Sep 9, 2015
Andover, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just saw the dimensions. No way that bigger one fits.

I didn't figure it would, especially after looking at mine and measuring dims. I going to order the 28K while they still have the Cyber week discount sale going.
Thanks for your help and advice!!

advertisement
R

RRD

Jun 18, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am planning to do an install of the Summit heater. What is the correct size of the UPI "Y"s that I need?
Is it 1" to 5/8"?

O

OleRed

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1/2" ID hose is stock on the honda for the coolant lines coming from oil cooler to the pump.

R

RRD

Jun 18, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can not find the "Y"s needed to splice the lines on the UPI website. Does anyone have a lead for the fittings needed?

O

OleRed

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have an auto parts store near by they typically have a Gates tackle box full of misc coolant hose fittings. You can get a T fitting out of there. I live in a fairly small town and even my hardware store had them. You can go from 1/2" up to 5/8" then T your lines from the 5/8" (that way you don't have to find a 1/2" x 5/8 x5/8) and install shut off valves in the 5/8" line.

Reactions: Remington
S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am planning to do an install of the Summit heater. What is the correct size of the UPI "Y"s that I need?
Is it 1" to 5/8"?

Yes.

tumbleweed

tumbleweed

Aug 6, 2017
North Platte, Nebraska
Ownership

1. Talon X
This is the heater I already have. It might fit under the seat like the Honda kit, but I don't mind it in cab. I'm not going to install until we actually get cold here. My intention is to install T's in the cooler lines and have a ball valve between the T and this heater so I can remove it easily for the majority of our riding. We're also planning on buying the CEC enclosure for this winter. My bilge fan does a decent job for heat on our 50 degree days.

View attachment 90562 View attachment 90563
Have you purchased the CEC cab enclosure yet? I purchased one last fall and was used for one trip to South Dakota then traded for a Honda Talon this spring. It is like new less instructions and snaps installed on the Pioneer. If interested let me know'

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you purchased the CEC cab enclosure yet? I purchased one last fall and was used for one trip to South Dakota then traded for a Honda Talon this spring. It is like new less instructions and snaps installed on the Pioneer. If interested let me know'
I did buy it last year. Sorry.

It should be easy to sell on here though.
I hope to buy a Talon once the P1K5 is paid off. We will be keeping the pioneer though. Hopefully they release a live valve 2 seater soon.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!