P1000 Honda needs to get their act together

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lucas 85-140. Especially running that in higher temp
So as far as anyone knows, there are no friction modifiers or other additives to make diffs lock/unlock smoother in the Honda oil? I haven't read up on how these diffs lock and I'm assuming it's not anything like an automotive locker like my G80 on my Chevrolet. If you run regular gear oil without any friction modifiers in a G80 you'll get all sorts of grinding noises while turning a corner. And a huge "bang" if you spin a tire.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So as far as anyone knows, there are no friction modifiers or other additives to make diffs lock/unlock smoother in the Honda oil? I haven't read up on how these diffs lock and I'm assuming it's not anything like an automotive locker like my G80 on my Chevrolet. If you run regular gear oil without any friction modifiers in a G80 you'll get all sorts of grinding noises while turning a corner. And a huge "bang" if you spin a tire.
Wouldnt thinks so. ive had no issues and haven't heard of any. Def quieter. I know my Dana 80 will get noisy without too but it's limited slip

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had to add a friction modifier to a limited slip dif due to the clutch plates. it would chatter when I started from a stop and was turning at the same time. Changed oil and added the friction modifier and problem was gone. I did not know it was ever added to a dif without clutch plates.

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had to add a friction modifier to a limited slip dif due to the clutch plates. it would chatter when I started from a stop and was turning at the same time. Changed oil and added the friction modifier and problem was gone. I did not know it was ever added to a dif without clutch plates.
Yeah. When I hit about 60,000 miles, my truck would chatter while turning from a stop. Turns out that the friction modifiers broke down after a few years. I replaced it with the same OEM GM diff fluid with the friction modifiers already in it. Oddly, I have 125,000 miles on this diff fluid and no chatter yet. Maybe the wear from the break-in period contaminated the fluid from the factory? Anyhow... I think I'm gonna go with the Lucas in my Honda. Thanks!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand

Will not need it. The G80 is an Eaton Gov-Lok that uses friction plates like a limited slip along with fly weights.

The differential locks in the Honda use a dog clutch (sliding gear) arrangement that works like a tractor locking diff (or ARB or elocker). In the case of the Honda, it is actually closer to the cable actuated lockers that Toyota used in Land Cruisers everywhere but North America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Will not need it. The G80 is an Eaton Gov-Lok that uses friction plates like a limited slip along with fly weights.

The differential locks in the Honda use a dog clutch (sliding gear) arrangement that works like a tractor locking diff (or ARB or elocker). In the case of the Honda, it is actually closer to the cable actuated lockers that Toyota used in Land Cruisers everywhere but North America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the kind of info I was looking for. Lucas 85W-140 it wil be for me! Thanks!!

Reactions: elkaholic
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!