BOX1

Talon Honda Talon 1000 First Ride Review - Sand Hollow Utah.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also was told the steering rack is the same in the Talons as the Pioneers!!!!!
You were told wrong.
Different part numbers.
The steering racks are even different between an X and R Talon.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I will have to look. That is what I was told
@Hondasxs recently started a thread with links to the Talon parts fiche.
The Pioneer 1000 uses bolts thru the body of the rack and into the frame.
The Talon appears to use studs in a vertical arrangement with nuts to fasten to frame.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You were told wrong.
Different part numbers.
The steering racks are even different between an X and R Talon.
Wonder which ones faster and if the faster one would fit a P1? And is it faster than a P1 rack?

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I drove my new Talon X this weekend for the first time. Put 125 miles on it in mostly rough choppy rock trails with a healthy dose of steep loose rock climbs and some gravel roads. I found the suspension to be uncomfortably stiff, even in the softest mode... on par with the stiff suspension of my 2018 RZR Trail when riding over the very rough rocky trails. My wife is way less than impressed with the Talon’s ride and even said she’d prefer to ride in the RZR. That’s not a good thing. There are a few other things about the Talon that probably weren’t obvious during your test ride. The overly sensitive throttle response makes slow technical riding very difficult to do smoothly, and, at least on my Talon, the whaling transmission noise is nearly unbearable at 30 mph or above and obnoxious below 30 mph. I’m learning that the noisy transmission my be an indication of low sub-trans fluid, but I won’t know until tonight when I get a chance to check it. If that is the case and adding fluid takes care of the issue it just may help keep the Talon in my garage, but then I’d have to wonder how Honda is managing to send some of these machines out the door without proper critical fluid levels! If it isn’t low and the noise continues, I’m afraid the Talon will be gone. It’s too bad too, because I was really looking forward to loving the Talon.

Reactions: monaco
J

JTW

I drove my new Talon X this weekend for the first time. Put 125 miles on it in mostly rough choppy rock trails with a healthy dose of steep loose rock climbs and some gravel roads. I found the suspension to be uncomfortably stiff, even in the softest mode... on par with the stiff suspension of my 2018 RZR Trail when riding over the very rough rocky trails. My wife is way less than impressed with the Talon’s ride and even said she’d prefer to ride in the RZR. That’s not a good thing. There are a few other things about the Talon that probably weren’t obvious during your test ride. The overly sensitive throttle response makes slow technical riding very difficult to do smoothly, and, at least on my Talon, the whaling transmission noise is nearly unbearable at 30 mph or above and obnoxious below 30 mph. I’m learning that the noisy transmission my be an indication of low sub-trans fluid, but I won’t know until tonight when I get a chance to check it. If that is the case and adding fluid takes care of the issue it just may help keep the Talon in my garage, but then I’d have to wonder how Honda is managing to send some of these machines out the door without proper critical fluid levels! If it isn’t low and the noise continues, I’m afraid the Talon will be gone. It’s too bad too, because I was really looking forward to loving the Talon.
I’ll give you $2500 for that piece of s*** talon!!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

I had the exact same complaints (except the sub trans noise).
  1. The suspension will settle in and soften up in about 500 miles. The more rough/fast terrain you travel, the quicker it will settle. The springs are a little too big because Honda had to size them for a full load but they get much better after some mileage.
  2. You will get used to the throttle very quickly. First of all, make sure it is adjusted per specs (mine had way too much play in it). Then you will adapt and not notice it at all.
  3. The sub transmission is most likely low. Fill it up and try again. Make sure you document the miles and amount you added for warranty purposes.
  4. If you still don't like it after 500 miles, I will give you $3,500 :)

J

JTW

I had the exact same complaints (except the sub trans noise).
  1. The suspension will settle in and soften up in about 500 miles. The more rough/fast terrain you travel, the quicker it will settle. The springs are a little too big because Honda had to size them for a full load but they get much better after some mileage.
  2. You will get used to the throttle very quickly. First of all, make sure it is adjusted per specs (mine had way too much play in it). Then you will adapt and not notice it at all.
  3. The sub transmission is most likely low. Fill it up and try again. Make sure you document the miles and amount you added for warranty purposes.
  4. If you still don't like it after 500 miles, I will give you $3,500 :)
I’ll do $3,600

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Talk about low balling him.
I'd take the garbage off his hands for $4,000.00 cash

Reactions: JTW and PaulF
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!