P1000 How do you secure the second battery?

D

duratime

Jan 26, 2022
Monterey,CA
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
I have a 2022 P1000-5 and I'm going to add a second battery but not sure how to secure it. Any thoughts? Also, does any know the size of the battery wires used in the kit? I'm going to have to make some custom ones to fit my situation I think. Thanks in advance.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The search bar for "secure battery" brought up MANY posts
and so did "second battery wire size"
Sometimes you have to try different wording, but our search bar works very well.
When you do it, post up your walkthrough with pictures and links to parts used. That way it can help someone else.
Have a good day

D

duratime

Jan 26, 2022
Monterey,CA
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
The search bar for "secure battery" brought up MANY posts
and so did "second battery wire size"
Sometimes you have to try different wording, but our search bar works very well.
When you do it, post up your walkthrough with pictures and links to parts used. That way it can help someone else.
Have a good day
Thanks! You are correct, I need to work on my search game. I simply searched "Battery" and read for a bit, but never got to what I needed and was running out of time to get something delivered by Friday to work on it over the weekend. I kind of gave up on the idea of completing the whole project this weekend anyhow. I'm just going to work on installing the battery and go from there. As of now, I don't even know what I need until I get that part done. I saw some good ideas on the search link that you provided to get at least the battery secured. Thanks again.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used a cam buckle lashing strap (nylon strap with cinching buckle). Cut the strap in two, used hot melt glue to glue the straps to the sides of the battery well.

Before doing this, I tested a scrap of nylon belt for shear strength glued to a scrap of plastic. I also prepped the plastic by cleaning with denatured alcohol. Simple, adjustable for different battery size later.

20210717 165232

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've also seen some aftermarket Talon mounts that are secured with wide Velcro but I prefer something mechanical so I used two 1/4" threaded rods running down to the battery tray itself. I know, Talon, but maybe a usable idea will spring from this.

This is the whole assembly, showing the two centered tabs for the hold down rods.

Rear rod in place, waiting for the battery -

Battery in place sitting on two layers of inner tube to damp vibration -

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Will probably be flamed for this, but my battery is not secured at all.
Just sitting all happy down in the hole.
Around the farm here, I'm not jumping or riding bumpy roads.
Eventually I'll get it secured.......or not. haha :)
Have a good day

You'll be just fine . . . so long as you never have an accident or roll over. If that were to happen, the unsecure battery could conceivably cause a fire. I don't think I'd go with the "or not. haha" choice.

advertisement
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
A little hard to describe, but I cut two 1" x 1/8" slots at the bottom of the battery well (where the sides met the bottom). I then took a piece of Velcro that was a few feet long and 3/4" wide, fed it (from the inside) through one slot, around the bottom of the battery well, and back up into the battery well through the other slot. Dropped the battery in the well, wrapped the two ends of the Velcro around the sides of the battery, across the top and secured them together on top. It's NOT going anywhere, but it's super easy to just pull the Velcro apart at the top if you need to lift the battery out.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2022 P1000-5 and I'm going to add a second battery but not sure how to secure it. Any thoughts? Also, does any know the size of the battery wires used in the kit? I'm going to have to make some custom ones to fit my situation I think. Thanks in advance.
Where are you planning on putting the second battery?

Reactions: ChadD
D

duratime

Jan 26, 2022
Monterey,CA
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
Where are you planning on putting the second battery?
I'm going to put it in that cavity under the hood (where most people mount them). I think I have it figured out. I'm going to use a lashing strap. I'm going to melt two holes in the strap, drill two corresponding holes on the side of the cavity and use the plastic style rivets that hold on the various plastic parts on the Honda to hold the strap in place. Since the battery fits so tight in that space, the rivets should not have any room to back out, so they should secure it for the most part. I'm probably going to wedge it too with some foam on the side to limit any movement as much possible. I'm expecting the extra cable and connectors today since for my setup, I'm going to have to make or modify the wires. I plan on mounting an Auxbeam controller on top of the battery too. That will be hopefully negate needing a stinger or relay. I'll use one of the factory switched to turn the Auxbeam on, so there should be no parasitic loss when not in use and still allow it to be used with the key off. The Auxbeam switch plate fits perfect on the 2022. I test fit it the other day.

PXL 20221008 210408880

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I'm going to put it in that cavity under the hood (where most people mount them). I think I have it figured out. I'm going to use a lashing strap. I'm going to melt two holes in the strap, drill two corresponding holes on the side of the cavity and use the plastic style rivets that hold on the various plastic parts on the Honda to hold the strap in place. Since the battery fits so tight in that space, the rivets should not have any room to back out, so they should secure it for the most part. I'm probably going to wedge it too with some foam on the side to limit any movement as much possible. I'm expecting the extra cable and connectors today since for my setup, I'm going to have to make or modify the wires. I plan on mounting an Auxbeam controller on top of the battery too. That will be hopefully negate needing a stinger or relay. I'll use one of the factory switched to turn the Auxbeam on, so there should be no parasitic loss when not in use and still allow it to be used with the key off. The Auxbeam switch plate fits perfect on the 2022. I test fit it the other day.
You have not mentioned an isolator. It's cheap insurance, especially if you forget to turn off the dash switch that powers the Auxbeam controller.

Reactions: ChadD and CID
D

duratime

Jan 26, 2022
Monterey,CA
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
You have not mentioned an isolator. It's cheap insurance, especially if you forget to turn off the dash switch that powers the Auxbeam controller.
I'm sorry, I bought the kit from the store that includes the isolator and cables and meter and such.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yes, I use it for the electric gates on my property. It's self powered and probably overpriced, but it does the job and looks ok and stupid simple to install.
Cool. I just keep the standard GDO in the glovebox, but might look for one of those.

After all, most of what I do looks ok but is stupid ... simple. 🤣

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!