P1000 How does clutch slipping "start"?

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The last 2 times I have ridden, right after I crank it up and start driving down the yard, if I let off the gas, the machine will keep pulling unless I press the brakes. It will continue to "cruise" along as though the clutches are not disengaging. It will do this for the first 4-5 min that I am riding. It did not do this before I hit the 300 mile mark.

It has always had clutch chatter/shudder when I first start climbing a hill. Now it is starting to do it on flat ground starting off. Not as bad as on a hill but noticeable.

As as slipping test, I took it out on the blacktop road on a straight away and in high range and in manual mode, every time I hit 4000 RPMs I would shift.

1st to 2nd immediate RPM drop
2nd to 3rd immediate RPM drop
3rd to 4th RPM would sometimes jump 1-2 bars then drop (as though spinning up slightly before engaging)
4th to 5th RPM immediate drop
5th to 6th RPM same as 3rd to 4th but more often

This didn't happen on every "pass" but it did happen 2 or 3 times in the 10 or so passes that I made. I had made a pass in Auto to start with and thought I noticed it which is why I changed to manual to make sure that I was controlling the change and not seeing things. It was not to the amount I have seen others who have filmed clutch problems have RPM changes, but it is different than when I first got it. I checked all that out when I first got the machine.

It seemed to get better as the machine ran longer.

Have other who have had clutch problems noticed anything similar? Is the clutch problem progressive or does it just happen all at once?

Am I now on the road to a clutch replacement?:confused:

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The last 2 times I have ridden, right after I crank it up and start driving down the yard, if I let off the gas, the machine will keep pulling unless I press the brakes. It will continue to "cruise" along as though the clutches are not disengaging. It will do this for the first 4-5 min that I am riding. It did not do this before I hit the 300 mile mark.

It has always had clutch chatter/shudder when I first start climbing a hill. Now it is starting to do it on flat ground starting off. Not as bad as on a hill but noticeable.

As as slipping test, I took it out on the blacktop road on a straight away and in high range and in manual mode, every time I hit 4000 RPMs I would shift.

1st to 2nd immediate RPM drop
2nd to 3rd immediate RPM drop
3rd to 4th RPM would sometimes jump 1-2 bars then drop (as though spinning up slightly before engaging)
4th to 5th RPM immediate drop
5th to 6th RPM same as 3rd to 4th but more often

This didn't happen on every "pass" but it did happen 2 or 3 times in the 10 or so passes that I made. I had made a pass in Auto to start with and thought I noticed it which is why I changed to manual to make sure that I was controlling the change and not seeing things. It was not to the amount I have seen others who have filmed clutch problems have RPM changes, but it is different than when I first got it. I checked all that out when I first got the machine.

It seemed to get better as the machine ran longer.

Have other who have had clutch problems noticed anything similar? Is the clutch problem progressive or does it just happen all at once?

Am I now on the road to a clutch replacement?:confused:
Are you letting it warm up to operating temp?

Reactions: Plumber32
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Are you letting it warm up to operating temp?

Not full operating temp.

I usually crank it up and let it sit for a minute while I make sure that I am not going to hit anything and then back out of the garage and go.

I don't let it sit for 5 or 10 min before I use it, if that is what you mean.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Both of ours will pull itself when it's just started up. Also, I notice some shifts lazier than others but I don't worry about too much. I'll worry about it when it won't pull itself around. Until then, I'll keep enjoying it.

Btw, all my miles are hard earned. Just enjoy and HAMMER DOWN!

CP: This group looked for anything rough and had a great time. It wasn't all about who was the best or correct line just some good ol boys with a beer and a 4wd.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
As to the warming up, I treat it like I do my automobiles. I don't apply a large amount of throttle or "hammer down" as Joey says until it is warmed up. Actually, I can't say I have ever actually done that at all.:p

My normal use is to crank it, back out of the garage, drive around the west side of the property (which is flat) until I get to the fence and then I turn down the hill and let the engine braking keep me from zooming off into the lake and then drive round the edge of the lake around 4-5 MPH looking for signs of muskrat activity and then I go back up the hill stopping to pick up all the sticks that have fallen out of the hickory tree.

The only reason I noticed the clutch not releasing was that some ahole threw a beer bottle into my yard and I let off the gas to stop and pick it up right after I started down the west side and it kept going.:eek:

So I checked it again today and noticed it did it again along with the shuddering when starting.

I just figured the way my luck has been the last 10 months or so, especially since the rear bumper and the underseat storage I purchased is arriving tomorrow....:rolleyes:

I am glad that Joey's machine seems to do the same thing, his seems impervious to clutch damage.:D

J

JTW

It sounds more like you shift linkage could need adjusting. The cable will stretch over time. That maybe while you're just noticing it. Mine does or did it too... I'm guessing it won't be so gung-ho now thatbtge clutches are burnt up.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!