CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Polaris was made in America and many bought them for that reason. They've been very careful not letting their buyers know that most are now made elsewhere. I've always bought Japanese toys (Yamaha motorcycles and snowmobiles) because of their reliability. I only had to look at SxSs for a short time to learn how unreliable most are - when Honda came out with the Talon, it was an easy decision, Japanese reliability and NOT belt driven. The Auto, Manual and Sport modes give me all the control I might need. I think the poo poo numbers will start falling with the introduction of Honda and now the Kawi sport machines.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Polaris was made in America and many bought them for that reason. They've been very careful not letting their buyers know that most are now made elsewhere.

Totally agree with this. My theory on Polaris' market dominance:

1. See above
2. They took a page from the modern car industry. Comfort and ergonomics. As said before, their machines always ride like you're on a cloud. The fit and finish on their newest high end machines is very good (at least while it's in the showroom). A friend just took delivery of a 2020 General yesterday. Dash mounted Rockford Fosgate receiver, awesome speakers, super comfy seats, beautiful paint, LED headlights with cool looking daytime accent lights, factory installed winch, roof, automotive style doors that could easily be converted to full doors that would actually SEAL..... the list goes on.

All those bells and whistles move machines. Period. The uninformed consumer doesn't ask about how long wheel bearings and ball joints and axles and belts and all the other mechanical parts will last.

Just like new car consumers, they will trade in for the fancy new model that will come out in a year or two. I see so many high end polaris and canam machines that are a year or 2 or 3 old with 400 or 500 miles on them.

I never ever ever get into conversation with polaris owners about the quality difference. Once in a while they comment on some part they just replaced that failed prematurely and ask me if I've had to do that, and the answer is always no. They have faster machines and that's all that matters I guess.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Totally agree with this. My theory on Polaris' market dominance:

1. See above
2. They took a page from the modern car industry. Comfort and ergonomics. As said before, their machines always ride like you're on a cloud. The fit and finish on their newest high end machines is very good (at least while it's in the showroom). A friend just took delivery of a 2020 General yesterday. Dash mounted Rockford Fosgate receiver, awesome speakers, super comfy seats, beautiful paint, LED headlights with cool looking daytime accent lights, factory installed winch, roof, automotive style doors that could easily be converted to full doors that would actually SEAL..... the list goes on.

All those bells and whistles move machines. Period. The uninformed consumer doesn't ask about how long wheel bearings and ball joints and axles and belts and all the other mechanical parts will last.

Just like new car consumers, they will trade in for the fancy new model that will come out in a year or two. I see so many high end polaris and canam machines that are a year or 2 or 3 old with 400 or 500 miles on them.

I never ever ever get into conversation with polaris owners about the quality difference. Once in a while they comment on some part they just replaced that failed prematurely and ask me if I've had to do that, and the answer is always no. They have faster machines and that's all that matters I guess.
Wouldn’t it be nice to have the best of both in one machine.....😎

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda was a little late to the sxs party there struggling to get there share back the p 500 and p1000 have started to really take off but its gonna take time

Reactions: Backwoods
C

CamoP500

Aug 8, 2020
Lake Vermilion
Ownership

1. 500
Well I've owned ATC/ATVs since the first ATC 90 came out in the late 70s? I rode the heck out of my ATC 90, 110, and 200. Then a Yamaha 225 DXL (shaft drive!) Then I went to the dark side with Polaris sportsman 4 wheelers. Ride nice, ground clearance, true AWD, bells whistles etc. That was about 20 years ago. 2 years ago I bought a Polaris 570 X2 (4 wheeler with big box on the back that has a flip up seat for a second passenger). Again all the bells and whistles including power steering. I put 900 miles on that X2 and put over a $1 a mile of parts into it - and thats with all my own labor to replace the parts. My dad has a Sportsman 570. He has 1500 miles on it and also has a $1 a mile of parts into it. Voltage regulators, stator plates, front axles, starter motors and the list goes on. We just use ours for hunting. No hard core riding. At some point you get sick of the constant break downs. 3 friends with Rangers. All 3 have had endless clutch issues. One just picked his up from the dealer for the 5th time yesterday and was told that all the noise AND BELT EATING is just normal and he'd have to live with it. Not what you want to hear on a $15,000 machine. A couple of weeks ago when I put the second voltage regulator in my Polaris X2 in 400 miles I said that's it, done wrenching on it. Its going DFR and I'm getting something that says Honda on it. Got great money - sellers market - and found the last P500 available in MN and bought it. The dealership where I got it also sells Can AM and Polaris. I know the salesman well and he said personally he wouldn't buy a Polaris, but they are easy to sell. If you want stone cold reliable you do not want a Polaris. If you want the go-fast bells and whistles machine its the go to ride.

S

Sportshot

Aug 24, 2013
I purchased a 2021 Polaris Ranger XP1000 in January and so far have had a very positive experience. I liked that it had more useable space for me and the storage under the dash was good. I think Polaris gets a bad rap sometimes. I can say that I have read a lot of information here and on the Polaris forums and it actually seems that Honda has more issues even though they sell far fewer machines. To each his own.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I purchased a 2021 Polaris Ranger XP1000 in January and so far have had a very positive experience. I liked that it had more useable space for me and the storage under the dash was good. I think Polaris gets a bad rap sometimes. I can say that I have read a lot of information here and on the Polaris forums and it actually seems that Honda has more issues even though they sell far fewer machines. To each his own.
Those 1K's are nice for sure.
I sometimes wonder what I'm missing. Talons and (to a lessor degree) P1k's are making in roads for sure, but it's generally a constant string of RZR's out here. And they look to be having plenty of fun...
Last weekend was only the 2nd time I've done across a broken polaris. He thought the clutch had blown. The other one was being towed maybe a year ago.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
My first hand experience with both brands proves (to me) that there is, in fact, a huge difference in quality. Especially when it comes to components like wheel bearings, tie rod ends, brakes, ball joints.

But Polaris wins hands down when it comes to pretty colors and graphics, comfortable seats, and lots of cool things that really don't matter to me if i'm broke down in the woods.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My first hand experience with both brands proves (to me) that there is, in fact, a huge difference in quality. Especially when it comes to components like wheel bearings, tie rod ends, brakes, ball joints.

But Polaris wins hands down when it comes to pretty colors and graphics, comfortable seats, and lots of cool things that really don't matter to me if i'm broke down in the woods.

Exactly my position. I value reliability above all.
I agree.
I guess my question would be why can't we have both?
Does polaris know something about comfortable seats and suspension and "cool things" that Honda doesn't?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Why would you feel the need to come on a honda forum and state that? Thats like rolling up in Harlem and calling everyone a ni$$er. Just be happy with your machine.

Last edited:
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I agree.
I guess my question would be why can't we have both?
Does polaris know something about comfortable seats and suspension and "cool things" that Honda doesn't?
Wish I could 'like' that comment 10x's! Honda has decided you can't afford it. So there. Yamaha has realized we can, and will- see RMAX 1000, or 850 Wolverine

C

CamoP500

Aug 8, 2020
Lake Vermilion
Ownership

1. 500
No reason Honda can’t do both other than it seems Japanese utv atv engineers don’t seem to put a lot of emphasis on creature comforts. They didn’t put IRS in their atv until 10 years after it was being used in other brands. I have nothing against people owning Polaris. I have a 2004 sportsman and a 1996 snowmobile and both have been good rigs. My experience with newer Polaris products hasn’t been as good and neither has it been for the group I associate with. But to each his own.

S

Sportshot

Aug 24, 2013
Why would you feel the need to come on a honda forum and state that? Thats like rolling up in Harlem and calling everyone a ni$$er. Just be happy with your machine.
I’m not trying to piss anyone off. I’m sorry you feel that way.

I joined all manufacturers forums to get the owners views on what their ownership experience has been. Blind brand faith is something I try to avoid. To each his own. If you believe Honda is the best thing out there you have a right to your opinion.

Polaris, Honda and all manufacturers have had issues with their equipment. What a manufacturer does to address those issues is important. I truly thought I’d buy a Honda but I have no regrets so far with the Polaris.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m not trying to piss anyone off. I’m sorry you feel that way.

I joined all manufacturers forums to get the owners views on what their ownership experience has been. Blind brand faith is something I try to avoid. To each his own. If you believe Honda is the best thing out there you have a right to your opinion.

Polaris, Honda and all manufacturers have had issues with their equipment. What a manufacturer does to address those issues is important. I truly thought I’d buy a Honda but I have no regrets so far with the Polaris.
I never said I believed honda is the best. Show me where I said that? I was just talking about how ballsy you are for talking down a honda on honda forum. Enjoy your machine.
JUNK ASS HONDAS!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!