P1000 I.D.ing & avoiding a 2016 early build date?

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A local dealership has a brand new 2016 P1000-3 base model (olive green) near me for a really great advertised price. Due to some of the pictures, I believe that they've had this one awhile. In the background it looks like a spring or summer setting. So, I assume they've had this one since early/mid 2016.

My concern is that I've read some of the early build models of the P1000 had clutch issues, which were rectified later in the 2016 model year. Is this something to be concerned over? If so, is there a way to identify the build date of the machine when I go look at it? Would anyone know what the specific time was when Honda improved the clutches? Either way, I'd prefer to avoid one of the earliest machines of a new model.

I hate to sound paranoid, but I'd like to avoid a machine that has potential avoidable flaws. I'd really like to just purchase a 2017 model, but this one is priced really good. On top of that I'd still get the $500.00 accessory credit!

Reactions: sharp
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
A local dealership has a brand new 2016 P1000-3 base model (olive green) near me for a really great advertised price. Due to some of the pictures, I believe that they've had this one awhile. In the background it looks like a spring or summer setting. So, I assume they've had this one since early/mid 2016.

My concern is that I've read some of the early build models of the P1000 had clutch issues, which were rectified later in the 2016 model year. Is this something to be concerned over? If so, is there a way to identify the build date of the machine when I go look at it? Would anyone know what the specific time was when Honda improved the clutches? Either way, I'd prefer to avoid one of the earliest machines of a new model.

I hate to sound paranoid, but I'd like to avoid a machine that has potential avoidable flaws. I'd really like to just purchase a 2017 model, but this one is priced really good. On top of that I'd still get the $500.00 accessory credit!
It's on the frame when it was made.

Reactions: JTW
lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look in the passenger wheel well and see what's on the sticker. Not certain, but believe that "MODEL" is the month and year of mfg. This tag is from my P1K and the build sheet for it has a production number of 10172016.
Pic1 jpg29623

Reactions: Plumber32 and JTW
rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Any specific build dates or production series that were known to have flaws?

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any specific build dates or production series that were known to have flaws?
Not that I'm aware of. I haven't read anything that leads me to believe there was an issue with early production units that was later rectified. There's a poll on this forum and last I checked, there were only ~10 or 12 that called out clutch problems.

Last edited:
rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Okay, I thought I had read that there was a bad "batch" that had weak clutches. When you think about it, Honda should have found any weak clutch problems during testing. Shouldn't be anything to worry about I suppose.

Reactions: sharp
J

Jshell3

Okay, I thought I had read that there was a bad "batch" that had weak clutches. When you think about it, Honda should have found any weak clutch problems during testing. Shouldn't be anything to worry about I suppose.
Everything I've read, Honda hasn't changed anything in the clutches.
I dont think it matters which P1k you get, or when it was made.
I've got a 2017, and I've got no better/worse odds of a clutch issue than that olive one.
(From what I've read)...

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Everything I've read, Honda hasn't changed anything in the clutches.
I dont think it matters which P1k you get, or when it was made.
I've got a 2017, and I've got no better/worse odds of a clutch issue than that olive one.
(From what I've read)...

Yes Honda hasn't changed anything as of yet. Doesn't seem to matter on build date there is a small number that will have problems. I wouldn't let it factor in to buying one honestly. There is something coming down the pipeline and Honda is working on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes Honda hasn't changed anything as of yet. Doesn't seem to matter on build date there is a small number that will have problems. I wouldn't let it factor in to buying one honestly. There is something coming down the pipeline and Honda is working on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honda's pipeline is full of sludge and is stopped up!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
What have you heard? Any rumor(s)?

Lots of rumors lol. They are aware there's a problem and was told a new clutch is already developed and are working on a couple other areas of the system. Really can't say too much else and like a few others patiently waiting.

Reactions: popeye and sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!