mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey y'all! Haven't been on here in awhile, but I need some help..

I called my local dealer & snagged a new battery as mine was not holding a charge very well..
What I didn't notice is the battery I got had pos & neg reversed. (I know... inspect what you expect.. my bad) once the rubber sleeve is on the battery, ya can't see the markings on the battery itself.
I hooked the bugger up backwards.
I now have the correct battery & I gotz nuthin. Absolutely nothing..
I checked the obvious fuses & they're good.
what did I screw up??

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Inside the fuse box with all the 10 to 20 Amp fuses is a 50 Amp main fuse block all under hood behind air intake cover / deflector. That would be my best guess. I managed to blow one 6 years ago adding a second battery and accessories.

See below.

Screenshot 20220130 003236 Drive

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Use a voltmeter or simple test lamp to check fuses.

Place the black (-) lead firmly on a good chassis ground. Then touch the red (+) lead on each side of the fuse in question. You should see 12 volts on each side.

If you read 12 volts on one side of the fuse but not the other - the fuse has blown.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hopefully, the ECU and other electronic stuff that is powered up when the ignition is on, has reverse polarity protection. In which case a blown fuse could be the end of your problem. If they don't, sadly things may get more ugly.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yea, I see that one. Can't get a good enough look at it to see if it's blown, but it makes sense. Both my batteries are charged, but no juice comes thru.
I'll take it out and look at it closer.
Note the 40 Amp EPS fuse is not in line behind the 50 Amp like every other fuse. So it may be blown as well. Pretty sure the 50 Amp protects every else just in case a short or oops like you did happens. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Note the 40 Amp EPS fuse is not in line behind the 50 Amp like every other fuse. So it may be blown as well. Pretty sure the 50 Amp protects every else just in case a short or oops like you did happens. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
is this fuse in one of the two little black boxes between the battery and the fuse box?

advertisement
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
According to the harness pic I uploaded,
You may have blown the following fuses.
50a main
30a mtr +b
40a fsr +b
40a eps

Follow the 4 solid red wires from battery in image. All 4 should blow to protect remainder of machine.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
According to the harness pic I uploaded,
You may have blown the following fuses.
50a main
30a mtr +b
40a fsr +b
40a eps

Follow the 4 solid red wires from battery in image. All 4 should blow to protect remainder of machine.
Thanks man! I have not checked for power yet.. had just enough time to install the correct battery last night & realize I had further issues. I glanced at a couple fuses in the panel... the one labeled "start" is still good, I didn't see the 30a mtr +b in there.. I'll look at it a bit closer tonite after work.
As always, you guys are a ton of help! Thank you!!

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, as usual, less time than I thought I'd have tonite.. went over to the kids house for dinner, so all I had the time to do is check the 50a fuse in the fusebox, and it seems to be good.
Guess I'll check the eps and i4wd fuses next.. however, they appear to be in line in FRONT of the fuse box, and if one of them is blown, I would think I wouldn't have juice to the fusebox... but again, electrical s*** is not my forte'.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rayger143 is correct if you are checking for voltage on each side of the fuse to ground, or if you are putting the probes on each side of the fuse with power on (zero good / 12 volts would be an open fuse - bad).

Edit to add, voltage checks are also good for "tracing", aside from the fuses, to see if you have 12 volts were it's supposed to be. E.g., if you have 12 volts on the input of a device, and the device isn't working as expected, the device itself is suspect - can't do that with an ohm meter :).

I recommend leaving power off and using the ohms function of the meter. Slide switch to ON, turn dial so the "dot" is straight down at 6 o'clock "200". This will use the meter's battery to see if the fuse is short or open. Test the meter by touching the leads to indicate a short. This is what you should see if the fuse is good when you put a meter lead on each side of the fuse. Note that most automotive blade type fuses have a little hole on each side of the top so you can access the blade on each side of the fuse element.

Last edited:
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Rayger143 is correct if you are checking for voltage on each side of the fuse to ground, or if you are putting the probes on each side of the fuse with power on (zero good / 12 volts would be an open fuse - bad).

Edit to add, voltage checks are also good for "tracing", aside from the fuses, to see if you have 12 volts were it's supposed to be. E.g., if you have 12 volts on the input of a device, and the device isn't working as expected, the device itself is suspect - can't do that with an ohm meter :).

I recommend leaving power off and using the ohms function of the meter. Slide switch to ON, turn dial so the "dot" is straight down at 6 o'clock "200". This will use the meter's battery to see if the fuse is short or open. Test the meter by touching the leads to indicate a short. This is what you should see if the fuse is good when you put a meter lead on each side of the fuse. Note that most automotive blade type fuses have a little hole on each side of the top so you can access the blade on each side of the fuse element.
Okay... did the ohms test. Leads together shows .3-.4. Touch each side of the main 50a fuse, & nothing. Zip. Battery is still hooked up if that makes a difference... so, fuse is toast?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay... did the ohms test. Leads together shows .3-.4. Touch each side of the main 50a fuse, & nothing. Zip. Battery is still hooked up if that makes a difference... so, fuse is toast?
correct, most meters will give an audible tone when touching probes together.

remove the 2 10mm bolts and grab the fuse in hand, you should be able to see if it is blown.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!