P1000 i4WD not engaging

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took my new P1K-5 LE out for it's maiden voyage, and thought I'd gently try out all the modes. I put it in i4WD on dirt/gravel roads, and traveled about 12 miles round trip, and the dash indicator never changed from 2 lock (never showed i4WD was engaged). Anything I can check, it's a ways back to the dealer, and if I can fix it myself, that would be great.

2021 P1K-5 LE with 16 miles.

Thanks for any help or advice.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Its probably engaging and disengaging,
you need to adjust the shift cables.
Your problem is a common adjustment.
See this video link below.
A small adjustment at a time will bring your dash settings back in line.

What he said. Its a pain in the ass to get it fine tuned.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Theres a great you tube video that shows how its done.
I have done it numerous times. Get to the starting point shown and make small 1/2 turn adustments on one nut at a time. EVERYONE IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT! You may have to tweek yours a little

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s a GREAT Video! It not only tells how to adjust the rear differential locking system, but more importantly WHY! For me it’s much better to understand why, I can usually figure out how, if I know why….. I’m not sure if that will help with my i4WD mode or not, but I’m going to make sure this part is right, before I go off on some tangent……. Very good information!

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The video is indeed super detailed, but..... does that affect the front Diff?
seems like the focus on that video was turf and 2wd to the rear, no mention on the front.

Yeah, I think you're right.....

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you sure that it's not going in and out of 4wd or just not indicating it on the dash. It wont drive any different or sound distinctly different when in I4wd.
Do you feel resistance in the shifter when you pushed it up into I4wd? If not, I think there is a seperate cable to the front. I'll look tonight.

When my LE was new, my indicator was all wonky, but I could tell turf, 2wd and 4wd were working, just not indicating.
After adjusting a few times to a sweet spot, all the indicators work fine, in and out.
Well, that's a possibility, I adjusted the cable going to the front differential to give it "More throw" in the engage direction, didn't seem to make any difference, so moved it back to where it was.

But no, I don't feel any resistance when moving the lever to i4WD.......

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, no resistance then the shift as you push into 4wd, then adjuster on the front differential.
Dealer prep ? How far away is your dealer?
about 40 miles, I did adjust it for more throw, still didn't get any resistance.....

C

CaptRehab

Is this primarily happening with the -5? Is the -3 seeing the same. I'm waiting on my 2021 now.

Thanks

Reactions: TexasJackKin
TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jack,
With that I private messaged you and Honda Tech, a resource member here, who is an actual Honda Service Tech.
He'll have some insight.
Thanks for the help! I just got back from a ride, and the i4WD seems to be working, but NO indication on the dash. Not even a flicker, that I noticed. While I was making a 6 or 9 point U turn, I noticed the left from wheel slip about 1/8 turn, which makes me think it's working, but again no dash indication....... Just adding this for details for the real Honda wrenches!

C

CaptRehab

I dont think it's a problem or predominant to any Honda SXS model. I think it's a Dealer mis - setup issue.
Mine is a baby compared to other Hondasxs.com member's mileage, but it runs flawlessly.
Buy and enjoy with no regrets.
Thanks for the fast reply. I have been waiting a month for mine and I keep hearing the issues with the DCT and the adjustments. Kind of getting some cold feet, but I do love the Honda's

Reactions: TexasJackKin
TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just bumping this hoping, someone recognizes the symptoms, and says oh yeah, I had that and all I had to do was ___________ .

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
TJK, I'm thinking it might be best to call the dealer and see if you can get an appointment where they'll get right on it to fix it while you wait. That way you hopefully won't have to make two trips.

When I pick up mine, I plan on taking a couple of spray cans of silicone to get the showroom floor good and slick to put the i4WD through it's paces!

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Maybe a real wrench might say check the 40 Amp Fuse/ relay under the hood for I4wd. The location is your owners manual.
And if the hill start assist works and is lighting up on the dash.
Nope, that's not it..... I'm a fairly competent mechanic (Licensed Aircraft and power-plant A&P mechanic, retired machinist/Tool and Die maker) but I freely admit I have very little (NO) experience working on these things, I just hate to bring it back to the dealer if it's something simple......

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Not much help. Just want to add the following info for information purpose.
------------------

The i4wd (front diff system) will not come ON if the diff sensor does not recognize it being in 4x4.

Now. 4x4 on the Pioneer is fully manual. So it can be in 4x4 without the dash (computer) recognizing it. As you mentioned the wheel spinning during the 9pt u-turn.

If hill assist is working. Then so is the i4wd (system). It's just not working the i4wd for the front diff control because it thinks it's still in 2x4.

So with that limited info. I would look at the front diff sensors and or wires.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!