Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe before winter. But if the Torque Locker makes it better then how could the 4wd/diff not be better too because you have a choice. I-4wd is not supposed to slip as per a bunch of people and Honda. Just my daughter made it slip on a simple hill, makes me wonder how some others don’t notice it.
We notice it. But once you learn to not drive the talon like the Pioneer you'll do better. It's a different animal and designed to hammer down. Good tires and momentum. It shines going fast and handling and blasting an obstacle. Not crawl.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
OK, you guys win. Not sure what you're looking for, an apology front Honda maybe? I'm done w this.
Not trying to win. Trying to give best representation of the systems. Op asked between the two. Some of the i-4wd guys just went straight to it does better at everything. IMHO both have positives and both have negatives. Like anything I guess.
With Pioneer someone has a choice, and that’s a positive, the OP was asking because he’s got that choice to make, smart looking ahead of time.
Think about if you got on to a Yamaha site or something and everyone just said the more expensive system works better then the other option on everything, that may upset you down the road.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The i 4wd on the honda operates just like the BLD sytem on jeep wranglers It is totally brake based and works very effectively. As with the jeep, adding a LSD to the equation serves to make it a little faster acting and a little more robust.
In the most severe of situations the locker affords superior traction at the moment you need it.
Only when locked(and needed) is the locker better performing, all other times the i4wd will do just fine.
I saw someone asked about tracks and i4wd.....the front brakes would not like you very much.

Reactions: mlynch001
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

ODAMO Wrote:​

>Only when locked(and needed) is the locker better performing, all other times the i4wd will do just fine.<

I agree, 90% of the time i4WD will work fine, it is that 10% where there is no substitute for the Locker. The one inevitable downside is brake pad wear. I wonder if anyone has ever installed a Regular PIONEER locker on an i4WD machine?

Reactions: StewB
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

ODAMO Wrote:​

>Only when locked(and needed) is the locker better performing, all other times the i4wd will do just fine.<

I agree, 90% of the time i4WD will work fine, it is that 10% where there is no substitute for the Locker. The one inevitable downside is brake pad wear. I wonder if anyone has ever installed a Regular PIONEER locker on an i4WD machine?
Agreed. When it's my time I will be getting the locker

advertisement
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the fact that when I lock it its locked and 4 pulling till I unlock it, not when it intelligent thinks it should ! But there a again i am pretty simple thinker.

That's okay . . . unless, of course, you are simply wrong.

The simple truth is there are advantages and disadvantages to both systems.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The i 4wd on the honda operates just like the BLD sytem on jeep wranglers It is totally brake based and works very effectively. As with the jeep, adding a LSD to the equation serves to make it a little faster acting and a little more robust.
In the most severe of situations the locker affords superior traction at the moment you need it.
Only when locked(and needed) is the locker better performing, all other times the i4wd will do just fine.
I saw someone asked about tracks and i4wd.....the front brakes would not like you very much.
Everyone knows my thoughts about I-4wd but I’m not sure anything would come into play with tracks on them. Local friend has like 7k on tracks (locker machine) but tells me it’s not too often he’s in lock even. There’s so much traction there he says it’s normally unnecessary. huge portion of time he runs in 2wd with them on and just goes to 4wd when feels needed.
I think you’d have to have a lot more power/gearing for the I-4wd to even work if somehow you did need the extra grip but from what I know there shouldn’t be need

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Has anyone swaped out the I-4WD with a Locker? or is there a option to have a E Locker installed?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Should have had i4wd for 4wd and locked for locked. Needed a lot beefier front end parts to do that though. Penny pushers will not do that.
You know I don’t necessarily love the I4wd but…honestly though on dirt roads hauling ass and out at the dunes it was spectacular. For a couple things it is better then lock by far. My opinion is still I4wd with a lock option would kill everything

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
You know I don’t necessarily love the I4wd but…honestly though on dirt roads hauling ass and out at the dunes it was spectacular. For a couple things it is better then lock by far. My opinion is still I4wd with a lock option would kill everything
Yep like I said. I4wd for 4wd and lock when absolutely needed. I would have one if that was an option. I4wd sucks most in the rocks. Saw too many vids.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!