P1000 i4wd vs lockers

D

davidbrickey

Dec 1, 2021
Parrish, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I recently sold my 2020 Talon R. The i4wd worked great when it was stock, but then I slapped a set of 35's and then a set of 40s on it, and the i4wd became terrible. I know it's not what it was designed for, but it fought me constantly. I never did the delete, just unplugged the sensors on the front diff to bypass it, and it was a whole new machine.

In my opinion, it depends what your end goal with the machine is. keep it stock or near stock, and it's wonderful.

M

MountainHighMoto

Jan 5, 2021
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Having listened to this debate for quite some time, and having driven both i4wd and diff lock, could we say that it can be best summed up by saying.....

-i4wd..... is a great system for the average Joe. It works really well in the majority of situations with anyone driving it, especially those that might not be considered off-road experts. It requires less driver input to accomplish almost the same thing, while leaving it in i4wd, without needing to know when to lock and unlock diffs etc. In other words it will allow a less experienced driver who is not attempting the most gnarly technical obstacles, to be a better driver, and to effortlessly and safely navigate anything they want to tackle and probably more. This will better suit a machine that is going to be driven by different people (wife, kids, buddies)and will tackle 90% of all trails and obstacles with ease.

-Diff lock..... on the other hand is probably better suited for the guy with lots of off-road experience, who understands the difference in how the systems work. Not only does it cost less, but there are less expensive parts to break, and this person is more likely to be pushing their machine to its limits. This set-up is going to work better with more extreme modifications, lifts, larger tires etc. This system is the proven, and a more reliable way to go for the guy who wants the best rock crawling, gnarly hill climbing, extreme terrain rig.

-my-2-cents

D

duratime

Jan 26, 2022
Monterey,CA
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
It seems that the best answer would be for Honda to make it a no sacrifice option. i-4wd with a locking switch that keeps it locked. I think that would really make i-4wd a premium feature. Does anyone make an electronic locker for that Honda diff?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Having listened to this debate for quite some time, and having driven both i4wd and diff lock, could we say that it can be best summed up by saying.....

-i4wd..... is a great system for the average Joe. It works really well in the majority of situations with anyone driving it, especially those that might not be considered off-road experts. It requires less driver input to accomplish almost the same thing, while leaving it in i4wd, without needing to know when to lock and unlock diffs etc. In other words it will allow a less experienced driver who is not attempting the most gnarly technical obstacles, to be a better driver, and to effortlessly and safely navigate anything they want to tackle and probably more. This will better suit a machine that is going to be driven by different people (wife, kids, buddies)and will tackle 90% of all trails and obstacles with ease.

-Diff lock..... on the other hand is probably better suited for the guy with lots of off-road experience, who understands the difference in how the systems work. Not only does it cost less, but there are less expensive parts to break, and this person is more likely to be pushing their machine to its limits. This set-up is going to work better with more extreme modifications, lifts, larger tires etc. This system is the proven, and a more reliable way to go for the guy who wants the best rock crawling, gnarly hill climbing, extreme terrain rig.

-my-2-cents
Well stated! I fall into the third paragraph category. I was looking at a shoot out between three Sport Utility S x S's brands for a few minutes at work, killing five minutes before my first appointment. There are some very nice drive mode options out there, I think a couple had the Turf and Diff lock both on the dash, one had the Diff lock on the dash. All three were rubber band, one had a combination clutch for taking off then the rubber band took over. All three had 14 inches of travel front and rear, nice buggies. But I need a tractor before I buy another S x S. Besides I've got my P1 Deluxe working pretty good for the nasty gnarly stuff.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It seems that the best answer would be for Honda to make it a no sacrifice option. i-4wd with a locking switch that keeps it locked. I think that would really make i-4wd a premium feature. Does anyone make an electronic locker for that Honda diff?
With the competition heating up Honda will fix there mistakes eventually, hopefully before I can afford another one.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
🤔......why you deleting shít CP? 😂😂😂
Cause @Tigermark drug me in here knowing it’d be a s*** show eventually, and I’m trying to get out. Just don’t like misinformation so it tends to get me going.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No. And yes I think that would be ultimate 4wd. Have I-4wd with a locker. Been saying that since it came out. No one would argue that.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Can you keep you i-4wd functions normal functions?
What?
If they just added an electronic diff lock there wouldn’t have to be any changes to the I-4wd because it wouldn’t slip a tire so there’d be no computer intervention.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
Has anyone said how the torque locker performs in a talon? I know it turned the little p500 into a beast and I’m sure it would probably do great in a talon also but I’m no mechanic by no means.
I put one it mine, not cause I thought it really needed it, the i4wd has never let me down but have first hand experience of what happens if one of the pieces in that complex systems fails. :oops:

As to how it performs...... it makes the "i" part of the i4wd irrelevant. If you've driven a P5 with a TL you already know how it's going to react in the Talon.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
advertisement