lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
An accurate visual representation of this 5 year debate.....

Lebeuf - Locker
Cogburn- I-4WD
Mattie - P500 guys

"This is like women talking " 😆
So let me see if I got this straight.
Your sayin the guys that don't like i-4wd are the ones that mount sheep?
(That's what the clip said, it's not me)

Last edited:
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Good Night NTC, I don't give a dam tonight! HA!
E22D7942 AA73 490A ACA5 4AD165B075DF

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So let me see if I got this straight.
Your sayin the guys that don't like i-4wd are the ones that mount sheep?
(That's what the clip said, it's not me)
If the ewe fits.........

And drink dirty water from a hoof print. So they say....

I believed it the first 25 times I heard it. 😆

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
I really like the talon and if I had one I’d just put a torque locker in it and it be good to go
This^^^^ along with an override switch is what I did. Now I'm engaging/disengaging the front driveshaft clutch without any computer assistance/interference. I can also flip the i4wd switch if I want but it doesn't do anything, except add some juice to the power steering. I don't really understand the debate about this anymore, TL came up with a solution if you don't like it for less than a cost of a windshield. 🤦‍♂️

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This^^^^ along with an override switch is what I did. Now I'm engaging/disengaging the front driveshaft clutch without any computer assistance/interference. I can also flip the i4wd switch if I want but it doesn't do anything, except add some juice to the power steering. I don't really understand the debate about this anymore, TL came up with a solution if you don't like it for less than a cost of a windshield. 🤦‍♂️
And that’s what a few more will be doing probably myself included. But now for someone that doesn’t mind the overall ability of the I-4wd you’ve already deleted it. For other reasons then stated but still. If there’s any hiccup in the system you’re coming back through the woods in 2wd by default. You’ve fixed that.
With factory diff lock was that an issue? Let’s say Honda offered two versions like they do Pioneer, and you had to do it again. Would you buy the more expensive and more complicated I-4wd or would you buy the mechanical 4wd with the additional diff lock feature?

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
I agree with that 906

advertisement
J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
And that’s what a few more will be doing probably myself included. But now for someone that doesn’t mind the overall ability of the I-4wd you’ve already deleted it. For other reasons then stated but still. If there’s any hiccup in the system you’re coming back through the woods in 2wd by default. You’ve fixed that.
With factory diff lock was that an issue? Let’s say Honda offered two versions like they do Pioneer, and you had to do it again. Would you buy the more expensive and more complicated I-4wd or would you buy the mechanical 4wd with the additional diff lock feature?
I’d buy the 2nd one you listed

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
I’ll be honest with ya CP if the talon had a front locker when I bought the krx I would have went with the talon. I really like the looks of the talon and that it doesn’t have a rubber band. But as of now I’m satisfied with the krx.

DHS_Officer

DHS_Officer

Jan 14, 2021
Orange County Cal
Ownership

1. Talon X
I've already had to pull a Talon out of my woods. The Talon flat out would not climb hills as good as my locked p1000. I did not know the Talon had the same i4wd system as the p1000 but that explains why it wouldn't. It was on factory tires and I have 28" Maxxis on mine so we assumed that was the issue. I guess it could be driver error but all you really need to do is pin it and go straight up. The Talon would lose momentum about half way up and ended up breaking something after trying multiple times.
Ill go with driver error. Its just not feasible that it would be an IFWD issue. If the tires are on the ground, they are getting power just as with a locker. The difference is if they lose traction, the computer slows the tire down, this may account for the "power loss" feeling. I have never actually lost power or momentum. Just like any vehicle with a transmission, sometimes you need to downshift...

D

duratime

Jan 26, 2022
Monterey,CA
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
Well, a little search and I found and read all of this TORQ Locker for Talon . and I have come to a conclusion on what system is going to be best for me. Since my Pioneer will be used mainly for a ranch/work vehicle, with much lower speeds and maybe more abusive slow speed demands, I'm staying with my original order for a Deluxe model with manual front diff. While I can see the advantages of i4wd for high speed fire roads (and similar), I don't really see any advantage for me since mine will be in Turf mode 90% of the time.

advertisement