Intake cfm

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does anyone have a chart of actual engine cfm from a dyno pull?. My calculations point to about 130ish. A honda published specification would be ideal

Reactions: Biteme
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Going to go with a intake pre cleaner like a donaldson top spin to get away from having to clean and oil the uni i am currently using as a prefilter. Calculations are good, but i am hoping to be successful in identifying some real world numbers to back it up.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Going to go with a intake pre cleaner like a donaldson top spin to get away from having to clean and oil the uni i am currently using as a prefilter. Calculations are good, but i am hoping to be successful in identifying some real world numbers to back it up.
Cleaning the Uni does sucketh, that's fer shur. But it sure is efficient.

Stock filter at 1137 miles -
I 2fqCwcL L

Uni at 1066. :oops:
I KRxxBDV XL

New it looked like this -
I gXGK7GX L

Reactions: Lil_Steve and IDIOT
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I fully agree with both of your points, but i am thinking that if i can size a precleaner precisely enough i can do an install and forget it. The problem arises in that compared to an industrial engine, we run such a wide range of rpm that the sizing question becomes more pointed. While S&b overcomes this little issue by stabilizing the airflow with a fan, the money just makes no sense to me. I can buy a lot of filters for their price. Your filter setup looks identical to mine and at 11000 miles it has worked flawlessly. I dont ever remove the factory filter just to look at it because i dont believe anyone can accurately judge filter condition by looking at it and every time these air boxes are opened the possibility of contamination is there. I installed a $25 filter minder and service as indicated. By the way, i followed yours and lilsteve posts on the fuel tank filler and did the same. Good thinking and inquisitive minds = good results. Good job guys

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I fully agree with both of your points, but i am thinking that if i can size a precleaner precisely enough i can do an install and forget it. The problem arises in that compared to an industrial engine, we run such a wide range of rpm that the sizing question becomes more pointed. While S&b overcomes this little issue by stabilizing the airflow with a fan, the money just makes no sense to me. I can buy a lot of filters for their price. Your filter setup looks identical to mine and at 11000 miles it has worked flawlessly. I dont ever remove the factory filter just to look at it because i dont believe anyone can accurately judge filter condition by looking at it and every time these air boxes are opened the possibility of contamination is there. I installed a $25 filter minder and service as indicated. By the way, i followed yours and lilsteve posts on the fuel tank filler and did the same. Good thinking and inquisitive minds = good results. Good job guys
It's how we got men on the moon, robots on Mars and Voyager leaving the Solar System. And those guys didn't even have the internet to share ideas. Thanks for letting us know the idea worked. 👍 Did you see that I extended my gas tank vent because I was occasionally getting a fuel smell in the cab? I posted pics in the Bigger Gas Tank thread where we discussed removing the inner fuel tank filler tube. @Lil_Steve

Reactions: Lil_Steve
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Saw the writeup on the vent, but given that i am old, fat and just plain lazy i will probably wait on this untill the fire breathing dragon that guards my check book complains. I dont expect it will take long.😇

• Haha
Reactions: Iowamike and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Saw the writeup on the vent, but given that i am old, fat and just plain lazy i will probably wait on this untill the fire breathing dragon that guards my check book complains. I dont expect it will take long.😇
The only time I smelled fuel was with a full tank on steep, rocky descents so you may never have the problem.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R

You think an S&B is expensive but the Donaldson Top Spins are not?

I'm using one of these as a prefilter with an outerwear style cover. Cheap and easy. If the outer cover gets to dirty, reach over and pull it off and continue on. Is it really that difficult to clean and oil a filter once and a while?

20200823 151745

Reactions: Montecresto
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Deiselequipment.com lists the top spin h002437 at $62.47.
Can you assist in answering the question in the original post?

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I’ve been running a system like this on my talon for a couple months. Trying to get comparison to stock to show the effectiveness of the precleaner. It works! I just have to prove it works better than stock. Built custom tubing with anchors to replace the factory plastic intake. Pretty sure I can build and sell an install kit for half of a S&B system.

• Love
Reactions: CID and Montecresto
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hey Dan, do you have a materials list for this set up? Thanks
If you want Dan's info on the Donaldson topspin, you should quote his post so he'll get an Alert (you quoted me). If you want the info for HondaBob's snorkel idea it's in post #18 of the thread linked in my sig below.

Reactions: Lil_Steve
TerPat

TerPat

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2020
New Mexico
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does anyone have a chart of actual engine cfm from a dyno pull?. My calculations point to about 130ish. A honda published specification would be ideal
I have Enginaire (or Engineaire not sure of spelling) 3" composit precleaner 75 - 250 cfm. I think my calculations were similar to yours. $85 on Amazon. Does the job.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hey Dan, do you have a materials list for this set up? Thanks
Nothing special here. I took the resonator out, drilled a 3 inch hole in the plastic and purchased a 3ft aluminum 90 degree bend. Cut one leg to the correct length, the other leg pokes up through the hole. If a guy was to do the donaldson, it is required that the bottom of the precleaner be a minimum of 3 in above the fender and that it is to be mounted to a metal tube-dont know why, but a plastic tube is not allowed. Donaldson number is h002437. I think i am about $100-$120 into this. Personally, i believe that for another $25-$30 a filterminder so that we know when a filter has truly loaded to full capacity is a must. I dont want to be opening the filter box with the possibility of contamination to the clean side just so i can look at a filter whose condition cannot accurately be judged by looking, and i also don't want to buy more $50 filters than necessary.

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!