Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hopefully we can try this again and stay on topic. This is to discuss IOS/ Apple options for GPS only.

I know Android/ Samsung may be better, but some of us dont care for it. So lets leave it at that.

For those running an Ipad. What options have you found successful. Ive been experimenting with different apps Like Map Plus (seems to be one of the better ones), Google earth, Gaia GPS, MotionX, UTV Trails, and Lead Nav

some of those are subscription based and ask for a yearly amount ($15-$20)

Since the GPS chip in an ipad is only in cellular models, i plan to use a Garmin GLO for satellite service. But there other other options like the Bad Elf and Dual as well

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Limited in area but this app is available for iOS devices.
20181116 103422

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Topo maps+ work well and avenza is awesome and simple. For avenza you need a geo spatial pdf which I have produced. Avenza is very fast as it’s not loading an entire map it’s just simply showing you where you are located on a pdf.

I personally have not ever had troubles with the gps system in my phone working. But I have a cellular enabled iPad on the way and external gps reciever just in case that is subpar that you can get for about 80-100 bucks.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Topo maps+ work well and avenza is awesome and simple. For avenza you need a geo spatial pdf which I have produced. Avenza is very fast as it’s not loading an entire map it’s just simply showing you where you are located on a pdf.

I personally have not ever had troubles with the gps system in my phone working. But I have a cellular enabled iPad on the way and external gps reciever just in case that is subpar that you can get for about 80-100 bucks.

I was planning on getting a regular ipad with the Garmin Glo since ive heard the cellular GPS isnt great, but your right i havent had issues with my phone when using it compared to my current android tablet.

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Try Magellan TRX.

Reactions: BWAF
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!