DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Scheduled to pick up my 2020 1000-3 Monday. You guys are making second guess this purchase.
Don't worry about it. The bad tends to be talked about most loudly, and the 1000 is selling well from what I can see. I meet at least one or two on every ride out here.

By way of comparison, it took me like a full year to see another 700 when they came out.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
HondaTech is right. The technician has to be able to see part numbers to be able to change and replace the parts. Also it helps with removal of nuts to have clean threads for removed and ireinstallation including thread locker.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Bottom line - the P1000 is a great machine. It is produced by Honda a great company with great parts availability. You combine that with SXS web site and you are a total winner. You made the right choice that will give you fun over many years. Mud is optional.

B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What kind of asshole takes a SxS to a dealer dirty as hell? If anything, I would not want to irritate or piss off the guy working on my machine. Common Courtesy goes a long way in life.

R

rickoshea

so
HondaTech is right. The technician has to be able to see part numbers to be able to change and replace the parts. Also it helps with removal of nuts to have clean threads for removed and ireinstallation including thread locker.
so does every tech in every other repair field.they do it without complaining because it's job they chose to do.sorry,but i'm failing to see what makes a motorcycle/atv mechanic so special that they can't work on a dirty machine when most h/d mechanics can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isaiah
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
For those who don't want to clean up the machine before hand or pay the shop to do so, I'm sure @HondaTech can have his bosses produce a waiver clearing them of damage done from clumps of mud/dirt/whatever falling into an open engine.

H

HondaTech

so

so does every tech in every other repair field.they do it without complaining because it's job they chose to do.sorry,but i'm failing to see what makes a motorcycle/atv mechanic so special that they can't work on a dirty machine when most h/d mechanics can.

Like I said I'm not asking for it to be spotless, but when you drive it right our the mud hole and the s*** is still dripping off it and I cant even see the what color it is. That's all I ask is you knock the big stuff off, you don't have to clean it like I'm putting it on the floor for sale.

R

rickoshea

Like I said I'm not asking for it to be spotless, but when you drive it right our the mud hole and the s*** is still dripping off it and I cant even see the what color it is. That's all I ask is you knock the big stuff off, you don't have to clean it like I'm putting it on the floor for sale.
i certainly wouldn't put it on my trailer dripping mud.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We're not asking for it to be showroom clean, but when i cant even see the part I'm trying to remove from the caked on mud, we've got to charge to clean it or ask you do it before hand.

Standing under one of these on a lift and getting showers with dirt is no fun.
You would like me I wash the s*** out of mine I feel if your knocking dirt around it could get in the wrong spot at least 10 bucks at car wash my mechanic always complements me on how clean it is and I feel he takes better care of me for it

-Bear-

-Bear-

NTC Master Fabricator
Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2019
Black Hills, SD
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
After reading this entire thread and started feeling paranoid about my P1000-5D purchase, but I have almost 2000 miles on it and have had no issues. I love my Pioneer and never miss a chance to take it out, even if just riding the dog around each evening. My only complaint is my local Honda dealership. I paid extra in my purchase just so I am guaranteed to get my machine back in 48 hours or less for routine service with no charge to me. When I do bring it in for service, any technician working the counter automatically tells me it will be 7-10 business to get to it. Then I have to explain I have the "platinum" service and it changes to end of day or lunch the following. I know they probably don't represent Honda in general considering they sell a bunch of brands in powersports. Also, I agree with @HondaTech on cleaning a machine before bringing it in for service. That is just common courtesy.

H

HondaTech

After reading this entire thread and started feeling paranoid about my P1000-5D purchase, but I have almost 2000 miles on it and have had no issues. I love my Pioneer and never miss a chance to take it out, even if just riding the dog around each evening. My only complaint is my local Honda dealership. I paid extra in my purchase just so I am guaranteed to get my machine back in 48 hours or less for routine service with no charge to me. When I do bring it in for service, any technician working the counter automatically tells me it will be 7-10 business to get to it. Then I have to explain I have the "platinum" service and it changes to end of day or lunch the following. I know they probably don't represent Honda in general considering they sell a bunch of brands in powersports. Also, I agree with @HondaTech on cleaning a machine before bringing it in for service. That is just common courtesy.

We dont treat anyone's unit coming in as priority unless it's a comeback on us or a warranty issue. Anything else is put in line and we do them as they come, unless ofcourse your scheduled to be completed that day.

Reactions: Russ989 and Mudwing

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In East Tennessee, the dealer will charge you to clean your machine before service. So just like all above, clean it up before you take it in.
Meh... In a way I don't blame them. I worked for a lawn care service and if we had to spend 15 minutes cleaning your yard of trash ( times a crew of three men plus $50,000 in machinery and a truck sitting on the side of road doing nothing), boss would charge the customer. We were there to cut your grass, not pick up trash in your yard to be able to cut your grass. Dealer is there to repair your machine, not wash it good enough to begin repairs. Not trying to be an ass, just think about it...

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

You're more than reasonable. If some idiot brings a muddy machine in they need to be charged $20 or more to get it clean enough to keep mud/dirt from getting where it shouldn't be. If someone asks me to help them fix something, I won't touch it if it's muddy. The least they can do is clean their machine in exchange for free help. If you ask me, it's like trying to do a paint job in the dark. If the machine is trashed with mud, how could you anyone do any engine or drivetrain repair without getting dirt into lubricated parts?

If I take mine to a shop, it's CLEAN, and I remove as many parts as I can to reduce their effort - fenders, shields, racks, etc. Anything that's easy to get out of the way to help. I'm sure the techs appreciate it.

Lofar

Lofar

Feb 17, 2019
NV
youtu.be
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Pioneer is a work horse. Love it for around the home work and the trails. Went riding with a razor and his belt blew. He replaced it and next time out it blew again. He ended up having to buy a clutch kit or something. Love not having to worry about belts.

Another time went riding, Can-am maverick gets stuck ( I did not follow him) in the snow, only one way in and one way out. We had to leave it on the mountain for a week. I put up my two extra seats in the back and they ride back down the mountain with me; and I took him back up there with a bunch of gear to get it out. Made me a believer in having a winch. We had to reconnect 3 times to get it up the hill enough out the snow where it would gain traction.

May not be the fastest or the sexiest, but all around it is a good purchase.

P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
I bought my 2017 1000-5 EPS a month ago. Because of waiting on getting all the "updates" done, I only have ridden it once. Updates being heat, clutch and water in ingestion.
I've been reading all the posts on this machine and now have 2nd thoughts about my purchase. Most recently I read about the vent kit. Really, are people having water get in the fuel and tranny from the garden hose? Is this SXS that bad? I bought Honda for their alleged dependability and reliability?
Looking forward to any feedback.

That’s one of several reasons I bought a time tested P700.

Seems like, based on the number of P1000 posts..... we 700 guys are very much in the minority 😩😩

Based on that.... I think your issues are temporary .... and you own a very fine machine!!....

If it’s a Honda.... it’s the best of the best!!!!
(20 years)🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

🤣🤣

SteveinUT

SteveinUT

Sep 12, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have literally only had one thing go wrong with my machine that was a part failure and that was a leaking front shock that was replaced under warranty. Everything else has been friggin' recalls. Oh, and I did get the overheating ECM update done, because the fan wasn't kicking on like it should have been and it overheated a couple of times after long, slow, uphill rides on rocky roads. Other than that it's been great.

Reactions: TripleB
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi. We had 4 years of trouble free riding until yesterday. My brother in law and I are the only two Honda’s in A family of Polaris and Canams. We all slowly crossed a deep beaver pond that was top of seat deep and we P1000-5’s ended up sucking water in gas vent tubes. We manually pumped enough out to limp home. We got some good help from this awesome Honda SxS Club. We had never been in water that deep and were being mindful of our under hood intakes and now we will at least raise the gas vent tube. I still love my Honda. :)

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!