P500 Jackal's P500

Will be picking up my Pioneer 500 this Friday 8/7 and already have about $4500 of accessories on the way.
Will post before & after pics as I go along. :) Nothing outstanding at first but these things take on a life all unto themselves. And so it begins....... The addiction.

2015 Honda Pioneer 500 in Green

Honda Hard Roof Black
Honda Full Poly Hardcoat tip out Windshield
Honda Fabric Rear Panel Black
Honda Rear View Mirror
Honda Cab Frame Cargo Bag
Honda Front Under Hood Tray
Honda Under Seat Storage Tray
Honda Rear Bumper
Honda Rubber Floor Mats
Strong Made Winch Series Front Bumper
KFI Stealth 3500 Winch Synthetic Rope
SSS OFFROAD full UHMW skid set
STI Roctane XD tires 26 x 9 x 12 on all corners
Frame plug set
MTX 6 Speaker Bluetooth Sound Bar
Beard 4 Point Safety Harnesses w/ Automotive Latch
Beard Bucket suspension seats. *Yes they fit barely*
RotopaX 3 Gal Gas Can and Quick detach mount
Pro Armor Cab Mounted Fire Extinguisher
TUSK 30" LED Spot/Flood Light bar 16,500 Lumen
48" Better Built Aluminum toolbox & Custom fabricated Bed on rear rack

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So it's a Honda mirror and Honda clamp?? And it gets low enough to see beneath the black Honda bag you have hanging on the back roll cage bar? Like everyone else, I too appreciate the time and effort you put into your expose' in this thread!!!!!!!

Yes it's the Honda mirror and clamp but any of the $24 rearview mirrors will also do the trick, many have smaller clamps than the Honda version and $50 less.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes it's the Honda mirror and clamp but any of the $24 rearview mirrors will also do the trick, many have smaller clamps than the Honda version and $50 less.
Thank you. I have the mirror and sound bar coming.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Hey Jackal, noticed you used 9" wide tires on the back. Any reason/regrets for not using 11"? I was thinking the turning radius/steering might be better with 9" and slightly narrower width for trails would be nice. Also how do these rocktanes ride, are they pretty stiff?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hey Jackal, noticed you used 9" wide tires on the back. Any reason/regrets for not using 11"? I was thinking the turning radius/steering might be better with 9" and slightly narrower width for trails would be nice. Also how do these rocktanes ride, are they pretty stiff?

I have traditionally used the same size tire on all four corners of my SXS's. This allows when using identical wheels as well, to have a spare that you can put on any corner and not change the handling characteristics. The Roctane XD tires themselves are made of a very tough carcass to resist cuts and punctures from rocks thus are not as pliable as the OEM rubber and do change the ride a little bit but not terribly so. I have no regrets with the 9" vs. the 11" OEM width. The Roctane XD's have a very flat cross section and I feel that they offer nearly as much contact patch as the OEM 11" tires and noticeably better traction.

Think of it this way do 4WD trucks have wider tires in the back? Just my line of thinking and the ability to have a spare that I can use anywhere. On my P1000 I went with 10" wide tires (Also Roctane XD 28x10x14) all the way around as it weighs nearly 75% more than the P500 and like how they perform on that machine as well.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Just put a deposit down on green p5. Being shipped from Ohio as there was only one left in MI. and it was in the U.P. The green ones are nearly impossible to find now.
Been bird dogging this site and others for a while now and wish to thank many for the info and ideas.
Jackal, wondering how you fastened the 3/8" plywood to rack? Don't see any fasteners in pic. Plan to do same thing with an extra tool chest I have.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just put a deposit down on green p5. Being shipped from Ohio as there was only one left in MI. and it was in the U.P. The green ones are nearly impossible to find now.
Been bird dogging this site and others for a while now and wish to thank many for the info and ideas.
Jackal, wondering how you fastened the 3/8" plywood to rack? Don't see any fasteners in pic. Plan to do same thing with an extra tool chest I have.

@trigger Welcome to the Club! Glad you enjoyed my build thread, you will absolutely love the P500 for what you can do and where you can go in it.

I used 1/4" x 1 1/4" Self Tapping screws and drilled 4 of them into each the flat slats of the rack that run front to back. Also I used 3M auto adhesive trim tape over the entire top of the rack, it has very good glue on both sides of a foam core, this prevents any rattling or vibration noises.

Screws are like this: Shop The Hillman Group 93-Count #12 x 1.25-in Zinc-Plated Self-Drilling Interior/Exterior Sheet Metal Screws at Lowes.com

(3) Rolls of 3M Tape: 3M Super Strength Molding Tape, 1/2 in x 5 ft - Walmart.com

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
@trigger Welcome to the Club! Glad you enjoyed my build thread, you will absolutely love the P500 for what you can do and where you can go in it.

I used 1/4" x 1 1/4" Self Tapping screws and drilled 4 of them into each the flat slats of the rack that run front to back. Also I used 3M auto adhesive trim tape over the entire top of the rack, it has very good glue on both sides of a foam core, this prevents any rattling or vibration noises.

Screws are like this: Shop The Hillman Group 93-Count #12 x 1.25-in Zinc-Plated Self-Drilling Interior/Exterior Sheet Metal Screws at Lowes.com

(3) Rolls of 3M Tape: 3M Super Strength Molding Tape, 1/2 in x 5 ft - Walmart.com
Good idea with the tape, hadn't thought of that. I just want to be able to remove everything if necessary. The only difference that I plan to do is wrap the 1 x 6's and exposed plywood with thin diamond plate.
Didn't go crazy with the accessories yet. Hard top, front and rear bumpers, half windshield and rear cab cargo net. Considered full windshield but looks as if you can't seal out all air infiltration regardless.
Best ideas I have are from you and cpt ovo. Going to copy his idea on the ramps in back of truck.
I'll get some pics out when I get rolling.
Thanks again.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I have traditionally used the same size tire on all four corners of my SXS's. This allows when using identical wheels as well, to have a spare that you can put on any corner and not change the handling characteristics. The Roctane XD tires themselves are made of a very tough carcass to resist cuts and punctures from rocks thus are not as pliable as the OEM rubber and do change the ride a little bit but not terribly so. I have no regrets with the 9" vs. the 11" OEM width. The Roctane XD's have a very flat cross section and I feel that they offer nearly as much contact patch as the OEM 11" tires and noticeably better traction.

Think of it this way do 4WD trucks have wider tires in the back? Just my line of thinking and the ability to have a spare that I can use anywhere. On my P1000 I went with 10" wide tires (Also Roctane XD 28x10x14) all the way around as it weighs nearly 75% more than the P500 and like how they perform on that machine as well.

Thanks for the reply. Have you measured the front and back tires to see if they are the same height when mounted? The front is a 6" wide wheel while the back is a 7.5" wheel. There is normally a difference in height when the wheel width is different. Also, did the rear mount up ok, being only 1.5" wider than the wheel?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks for the reply. Have you measured the front and back tires to see if they are the same height when mounted? The front is a 6" wide wheel while the back is a 7.5" wheel. There is normally a difference in height when the wheel width is different. Also, did the rear mount up ok, being only 1.5" wider than the wheel?
Hadn't thought of that. The OEM's are 8&10" widths so I wonder if they were different heights. Seems if so that that may be a concern for 4 wheel drive.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I bet I've answered that question half a dozen times over the last 5 months here's the skinny.

1. Yes I have measured the tires I run them at 10 PSI and they are 26.2" tall on all four corners even on OEM rims of different width.
2. A radial carcass determines the diameter, thus a narrower wheel gives the edge a a more rounded profile and a wider wheel gives it a flatter profile at the inner & outer edges. Only an inner tube or balloon would change diameters if squeezed to different widths.
3. I had the dealer put the tires on before I left it only took them 30 minutes for all 4 while I waited, so I would say no problem, but I do not know personally.

Hope that helps.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I am really liking the looks of the Alumalite Armor P500 tip out glass windshield aluminum roof and back panel. If they made some doors that came up about 12" higher than OEM that would be the complete ticket for all but the coldest climates. For 1200 on the full package that's not too bad for what it is made out of. I've got over $800 in the Honda OEM accsy. windshield / roof/ rear panel and it nothing more than plastic & vynil.

Gallery

ALA P500 Front
ALA P500 Rear
ALA P500 Side

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I am really liking the looks of the Alumalite Armor P500 tip out glass windshield aluminum roof and back panel. If they made some doors that came up about 12" higher than OEM that would be the complete ticket for all but the coldest climates. For 1200 on the full package that's not too bad for what it is made out of. I've got over $800 in the Honda OEM accsy. windshield / roof/ rear panel and it nothing more than plastic & vynil.

Gallery

View attachment 11819 View attachment 11820 View attachment 11821

Jackal...
very nice...
will that window fit
with the honda top ...
I'm done with plastic

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The fit looks perfect. The windshield is a bit obstructive for my preference, but to be stout enough I can see that it needs to be made that way. Finish is very nice too! It also appears that it has the added benefit of some dash space to throw your gloves and what have you.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Jackal...
very nice...
will that window fit
with the honda top ...
I'm done with plastic
Not sure about the windshield fitting with the Honda roof, part of me says yes you will be ok but I am not 100% certain. I would go with the whole shebang and be done with it the roof back panel combo made out of aluminum and glass as well block a lot of the engine heat from what some have posted, but it will not stop all of it.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Not sure about the windshield fitting with the Honda roof, part of me says yes you will be ok but I am not 100% certain. I would go with the whole shebang and be done with it the roof back panel combo made out of aluminum and glass as well block a lot of the engine heat from what some have posted, but it will not stop all of it.
Ok...
thanks...hate buying stuff twice
I have honda back panel....top...& windshield
thanks for your response
..... Your Ride Has Got The.... "LOOK"
...BADASS...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ok...
thanks...hate buying stuff twice
I have honda back panel....top...& windshield
thanks for your response
..... Your Ride Has Got The.... "LOOK"
...BADASS...
Thanks those pics above are not my P500 those are promo pics from the alumalite armor website.

This is mine:
20150912 13210420150912 132204
20151003 125558

Reactions: rocmar
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What fire extinguisher package are you using there?

It is a Pro Armor brand bought from RMATV. Attached by qick release velcro straps.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It is a Pro Armor brand bought from RMATV. Attached by qick release velcro straps.
Thank you. Btw, the sound bar you recommended to me sometime ago looks good, fit good without interfering with the rear view mirror, and sounds fab.

Reactions: JACKAL

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!