jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Another update:

I'm trying a pre-filter setup to preserve air filters as much as possible (I'm on #3 at 700 miles) so I'd like to make them last longer at $45ish a pop.

Here's a video overview of what I'm using:

Here are links to the filter I'm using and the filter oil:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B002OKFTVE/?tag=sxsweb24-20

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0022ZN68Y/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Reactions: TerryH
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
thats the first time i’ve see the frame and latch setup.

very nice.

I have four trips in the last 6 weeks with my Honda oem upper doors. They are pretty solid build and quality, the clear vinyl does scratch semi easily, if small tree branches are dragging across them. But over all I’m very happy with mine

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
I have four trips in the last 6 weeks with my Honda oem upper doors. They are pretty solid build and quality, the clear vinyl does scratch semi easily, if small tree branches are dragging across them. But over all I’m very happy with mine

keep in mind the clear vinyl zips out so therefore must be replaceable. (Oem level repeatability required)

I might just have to break out the benjamins........

Reactions: jasond
B

Bigblue1

Feb 3, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This video has been in the works for a while, but I finally got it uploaded. I wanted to wait until it got cold to put the heater to the test (even without an enclosure) and I'd definitely recommend this if you're wanting to add heat to your machine.

The only issue I've encountered has been very minor. I had a slow drip from the wye fitting on the engine side and I ended up just needing to change the hose clamps to get it to seal up tighter and stop the drip. Information on that is in the video toward the end.

Note: If you do decide to buy one of these pay attention to the links in the video description and below the video in this post. Those supplies will make sure you've got what you need to do the install.

Inferno Heater Link: Inferno Cab Heater for Honda Talon 1000 - Side By Side Stuff

2.5" Hole Saw Link for Vent Cutouts: Milwaukee 2-1/2 in. Hole Dozer Bi-Metal Hole Saw-49-56-9631 - The Home Depot

Hole Saw Arbor: Milwaukee 7/16 in. Quick Change Large Hole Saw Arbor W/ Pilot Drill Bit-49-56-7240 - The Home Depot

Heater Hose Pinch Off Pliers (2x): https://amazon.com/gp/product/B000O3NACS/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Honda Pro HP Coolant (4x): Pro Honda HP Coolant Type-2

Hose Clamps I used on the engine side wye fitting to stop the coolant drip: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B078BRJK8Z/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Jason, do think that you need the in-line thermostat bypass and the shut off valve that Inferno offers ? Would you add them if you had it to do over now that you have been using it?

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Jason, do think that you need the in-line thermostat bypass and the shut off valve that Inferno offers ? Would you add them if you had it to do over now that you have been using it?

Personally, I don’t need them because I’m not in an extremely cold climate during the winter months and I use my Talon purely for recreation (not enough snow to plow here and don’t get out to ride much solo).

I’m in Southern Indiana so an average winter day is in the 30s (°F), but we do occasionally drop to - or below - zero a handful of times each winter.

If I lived somewhere that was REALLY cold and/or constantly had snow on the ground it might be a worthwhile addition to get more consistent heat by bypassing the thermostat.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Last week I upgraded the factory Fox shock reservoir caps to some JC Racing caps with recessed Schrader valves. I bought the nitrogen recharging tools from Schmidty Racing Suspensions so I could refill the shocks with nitrogen and got a 20 cubic foot bottle of nitrogen from a local welding supply shop.

The one thing I had to make a parts store run for was a Schrader valve extension. The SRS tool has a no-loss chuck, but required the use of a Schrader valve extension since the JC Racing caps are recessed. I bought a 4-pack of Slime brand extensions, but they do sell a nice brass extension on their site. I'll include links to everything below:

JC Racing Fox Shock Reservoir End Caps with Recessed Schrader Valves (Talon R = 2.5" caps all around)

Schmidty Racing Suspensions Nitrogen Fill Tool

Schmidty Racing Suspensions Schrader Valve Extension (must have with recessed Schrader valves to be able to thread the no-loss chuck on)

Valve Stem Tool (I already had this tool, but it was used to thread onto the recessed valve and pull the cap back out to reseat it after installing the cap and installing the retaining clip)

The install is very simple and straight forward. I didn't bother measuring the PSI in each shock with a needle, but as I listened to the nitrogen release from each shock after drilling the holes it didn't sound like much was in them. Again, I can't quantify the PSI measurements for the stock setup, but 200 PSI is what they have now and I've got the ability to maintain them going forward.

I've got a video I'll be editing soon and I'll edit this post to include it here.

IMG 2515 IMG 2517 IMG 2526 IMG 2527

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
The JC Racing caps are the deal for sure. Still can't figure out why Fox will not address this issue instead of continuing to send them out knowing there is a major problem.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The JC Racing caps are the deal for sure. Still can't figure out why Fox will not address this issue instead of continuing to send them out knowing there is a major problem.
It is not a Fox issue, it is a Honda issue, Fox built the shocks to Honda specs. The entire machine, including the shocks, is under warranty by Honda. Fox has no obligation to the Talon customer, only to Honda. It is the same for any sourced out part on the machine.

Fox will do nothing until Honda tells them to and Honda will do nothing until "we" the customer complain enough. We need to stop blaming/hounding Fox and let Honda know our displeasure with their choice/design of Fox parts installed on the machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: CID
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
@TerryH agree on the JC caps. I was debating between the JC caps and the SRS caps and ultimately liked the aesthetics of the JC caps plus the recessed valves being more protected by an aluminum cap.

@PaulF I'd say you're correct. I'm sure Fox would love to sell thousands of their premium units, but they do spec to Honda's design/budget so we'd have to start with Honda on getting things corrected.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
It is not a Fox issue, it is a Honda issue, Fox built the shocks to Honda specs. The entire machine, including the shocks, is under warranty by Honda. Fox has no obligation to the Talon customer, only to Honda. It is the same for any sourced out part on the machine.

Fox will do nothing until Honda tells them to and Honda will do nothing until "we" the customer complain enough. We need to stop blaming/hounding Fox and let Honda know our displeasure with their choice/design of Fox parts installed on the machine.

I don't disagree. It is at it's root, a Honda issue. Honda certainly could have and probably should have specified a different shock system or shock vendor. The fact remains that Fox has made the 2.0 and 2.5 shocks with this fill system for years and they well know by now that there is an inherent problem with them but have done nothing to rectify it.

LilGreenMachine

LilGreenMachine

Dec 9, 2019
Auburn, WA
Ownership

1. Talon R
Jason, I'm wondering about the head clearance on your Swamp Donkey. I've heard you say you are about 6' 2" (same here) and I'd like your insight on whether you feel it sits up in the roof line high enough or if it's in your sight line at all. Will you be doing a video of the install? (or did I miss it). I think I watched you install a Rockin' Radio in your Polaris. Can you compare the two systems for us?

Thanks for any insight.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Jason, I'm wondering about the head clearance on your Swamp Donkey. I've heard you say you are about 6' 2" (same here) and I'd like your insight on whether you feel it sits up in the roof line high enough or if it's in your sight line at all. Will you be doing a video of the install? (or did I miss it). I think I watched you install a Rockin' Radio in your Polaris. Can you compare the two systems for us?

Thanks for any insight.

Head clearance - I had no issues with head clearance or the Swamp Donkey overhead affecting my line of sight.

Install Video - I won't be doing an install video, but it's VERY simple to install. With two sets of hands it can be done in 20 minutes, but I did it myself in about 45 minutes. It uses 4 cable clamps that go around the roll cage and a self tapping screw secures each clamp to the enclosure. Holding the enclosure in place while you run the screws through the clamps and into the enclosure is the only thing that's difficult by yourself.

Comparison of the two - The Rockin' Radios unit was the nicer unit in terms of quality and sound in my opinion, but I like the physical form factor of the Swamp Donkey better. I did opt for the factory upgrade to the head unit and speakers on the RR unit, though. The components I had in it were a Rockford Fosgate PMX-2 head unit and (4) RGB 6.5" Kicker LED speakers. It costs more, but it was worth the extra coin. The RF head unit puts out a respectable amount of watts by itself without an additional amplifier and has cleaner, louder sound than the head unit I had in the Swamp Donkey unit (also does not have an amplifier outside of the head unit).

With all of that being said, I no longer have the Swamp Donkey unit in my Talon. It just wasn't enough sound for my liking, but I prefer a lot of mids and lows with my music so that's to be expected with 4 non-amplified 6.5" speakers. You've probably noticed I change accessories like I change underwear. I went with two 8" tower speakers, a Rockford Fosgate PMX-2 head unit (see a trend?), a JL MX600.3 amp under the dash, and made my own subwoofer enclosure to go in the bed. The sound I get out of this setup is much more in line with what I like and a large part of that is due to having a subwoofer which can be added to the Swamp Donkey unit if you'd prefer the convenience of an all-in-one overhead system for your highs and mids. I just like the way that tower speakers project sound in addition to the range of an 8" speaker vs a 6.5". Tower speakers will also work with a custom cage which is in my plans for a future upgrade.

Hope this helps.

IMG 2458 IMG 2333 IMG 2425

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last week I upgraded the factory Fox shock reservoir caps to some JC Racing caps with recessed Schrader valves. I bought the nitrogen recharging tools from Schmidty Racing Suspensions so I could refill the shocks with nitrogen and got a 20 cubic foot bottle of nitrogen from a local welding supply shop.

The one thing I had to make a parts store run for was a Schrader valve extension. The SRS tool has a no-loss chuck, but required the use of a Schrader valve extension since the JC Racing caps are recessed. I bought a 4-pack of Slime brand extensions, but they do sell a nice brass extension on their site. I'll include links to everything below:

JC Racing Fox Shock Reservoir End Caps with Recessed Schrader Valves (Talon R = 2.5" caps all around)

Schmidty Racing Suspensions Schrader Valve Extension (must have with recessed Schrader valves to be able to thread the no-loss chuck on)

Valve Stem Tool (I already had this tool, but it was used to thread onto the recessed valve and pull the cap back out to reseat it after installing the cap and installing the retaining clip)

The install is very simple and straight forward. I didn't bother measuring the PSI in each shock with a needle, but as I listened to the nitrogen release from each shock after drilling the holes it didn't sound like much was in them. Again, I can't quantify the PSI measurements for the stock setup, but 200 PSI is what they have now and I've got the ability to maintain them going forward.

I've got a video I'll be editing soon and I'll edit this post to include it here.

View attachment 173242 View attachment 173243 View attachment 173244 View attachment 173245
Good info on the reservoir caps looking to upgrade soon.
Seen you are from southern Indiana, me too.
Any trails local to you? I pretty much have to trailer to ride...... Always looking for new trails and people to ride with.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Good info on the reservoir caps looking to upgrade soon.
Seen you are from southern Indiana, me too.
Any trails local to you? I pretty much have to trailer to ride...... Always looking for new trails and people to ride with.

I'll shoot you a PM and see if we're somewhat local to one-another.

Reactions: Rambo
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 173242 View attachment 173243 View attachment 173244 View attachment 173245
@jasond what did the bottom of nitrogen run you if you don’t mind.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
@jasond what did the bottom of nitrogen run you if you don’t mind.

I think bottle is what you’re asking. Assuming that’s right it was around $30 to fill up a 20 cubic ft bottle at a local welding supply store. If you have to buy a bottle as well I think they’re around $75 for a bottle.

Reactions: Ragnar406
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Added Milwaukee Packout modular storage to my cargo setup. It's a Packout Mounting plate, 2 compact Packout organizers, and will soon have the Compact Tool Box (it's a pre-order item right now and supposed to ship at the end of February 2020).

Reactions: TripleB
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!