BOX1

Kids Safety Discussion

D

Deleted member 3748

Agree with you. I have a friend who has posted on FB about a long time friend of his, that I do not know, that had a SxS accident where his head hit the ROPS and caused brain swelling. I had been on the fence for a while and because of that I ordered a fresh air system for helmets for the Pioneer and I already have a helmet that will work with it. I get it, but until I can find a helmet that fits her, unfortunately she won't have a full face one. Too heavy of a helmet will cause a neck injury, possibly a severe one, if something happens. Right now the only helmet in the weight range that is comfortable for her that is full face and is a carbon fiber one thats $2700. While there are several XS helmets that fit her she can barely hold her head up they are so heavy. She can wear her bike helmet for now and her car seat is heavily padded and is one of the highest rated for car crashes. Once her neck is strong enough for a heavier helmet I'll have her in a heavier helmet. She will probably be in a booster seat/standard harness by that point.

Hunter Safety Products makes a NICE booster seat for the tiny tots that I have considered as well but the car seat FITS much better and is crash tested, so I am inclined to use it instead. Right now I have it anchored with the factory middle belt and the LATCH system as a extra point of attachment, since the middle belt isn't a locking belt like in a car.

T-ball is probably more for the bat than the ball but point made.
You need something like a neck roll for a football helmet.

D

Deleted member 3748

Depending on what kind of riding we do determines how much safety gear we use. (Trails vs putting around). A huge improvement from when I was a kid. Dad would yell "hang on son" that was about the extent of safety precautions.
When my wife was a kid, she would ride on the back of her dad's dirt bike. Her seat was a life jacket that was sitting on the back rack.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 3748

I’m on the fence.

I see it both ways.

I’m a former fireman / first responder. Seen enough car accidents and MC accidents to make me a believer in belts and helmets in their respective situation.

I made my kids wear helmets but not myself last year.

My kids started asking why I didn’t, and I realized it’s hard to lead by example if I’m not doing so my self. This year I pulled out my MC helmet as well.

If we are toolin around the farm at low speed...I don’t make them wear them, but belts for sure. Less than 15 mph or so.

I'm in the helmet wearing camp because I'm concerned about hitting my head on the ROPS. But my wife is not. She says if she has to wear a helmet she'll stop going on rides... it's a dilemma. We always wear seat belts because the Yamaha screams like a Sea Doo if you go over 10 mph with the seatbelt unbuckled.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Helmets AND boots are a MUST on the dirt bike... I’d even add in the hand guards. But if you’re strapped in within a cage, it’s like using a rubber while she’s on the pill. Y’all must not have lived on the edge!
Second child happened that way, NO poop! But I'm Smitty, my sperm doesn't swim, it leaps barriers and used spermicide and a rubber on top of all that! Think a condom is only good for 2 minutes! HA!

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 8 year old son drives the pioneer 1000, with me behind him the seatbelt doesn’t fit. He is standing on the floor board because it’s the only way he can reach the pedals. With a helmet on he can’t see as well as he should, please pray for him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 8 year old son drives the pioneer 1000, with me behind him the seatbelt doesn’t fit. He is standing on the floor board because it’s the only way he can reach the pedals. With a helmet on he can’t see as well as he should, please pray for him!

But for what it’s worth, he drove 13 miles of trails in a poker run a few weeks ago, that another pioneer wasn’t able to finish due to broken parts.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My mind has been changed. I'm going to take my Ninja over to the VFW to buy a round for any vets and a triple for any D Day vets. It's less than a block away so I now think my flip flops and basketball shorts are plenty. I better take a wife beater with me so I can get in to be served though. After copious amounts of alcohol and stories have been taken in I will wheelie the entire way back home. Maybe a man card will be waiting for me in the garage when I return.

Bahahahahaha

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
In NYS, it’s the law. Plus you look out of place without a helmet. So we all wear helmets. It’s second nature. Seatbelts too. We know about expiration dates but it’s always fun to break out the sparkly gum ball once in a while. Bottom line, I think helmets are a good idea but if you have the choice to use one then it’s your choice. I’m not gonna knock ya. ;)

D

Deleted member 3748

My mind has been changed. I'm going to take my Ninja over to the VFW to buy a round for any vets and a triple for any D Day vets. It's less than a block away so I now think my flip flops and basketball shorts are plenty. I better take a wife beater with me so I can get in to be served though. After copious amounts of alcohol and stories have been taken in I will wheelie the entire way back home. Maybe a man card will be waiting for me in the garage when I return.

Bahahahahaha
i seriously disagree with your choice of shoe. I only ride in laceless Vans becasue they do not interfere with the shifter. You must do the same!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i seriously disagree with your choice of shoe. I only ride in laceless Vans becasue they do not interfere with the shifter. You must do the same!
Dang it. I guess I will head to the mall in my flip flops and buy a pair of laceless Vans. I better hurry it will be closing soon. No worries my Ninja is pretty fast and the mall is only five-ish miles.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Second child happened that way, NO poop! But I'm Smitty, my sperm doesn't swim, it leaps barriers and used spermicide and a rubber on top of all that! Think a condom is only good for 2 minutes! HA!
It’s not for your finger Smitty! :rolleyes:

jj88

jj88

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
When we ride in the San Juan Mtns in SW Colorado (Alpine Loop, Imogene Pass, Black Bear Pass, etc)in most counties it is law, anyone under 18 must wear a helmet, and they enforce it heavily at all times. Wouldnt be surprised if its that way everywhere before long. My thoughts are, absolutely on an atv (Rancher, Rincon) helmets all the time, no exception, on sxs with seat belt and roll cage, use your best judgment, like many have said, you cant un-do a brain injury, and they can happen to anyone at any time. On tougher, rockier trails, especially where the chances of rolling over are higher, I would certainly require my kids to wear helmets, goggles, etc. Just cruising around the farm, probably not, though I probably should.

J

JTW

7CF5FD3D 6B4E 4A1D 9A30 BA7856DA5E61

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!