NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Big difference in needing a helmet on dirtbike/atv VS in a cage SxS.
Right up until your head smacks off the rops or anything else. As I said in another post in this thread, nothing in this thread is going to change someone's mind. You and you're family not wearing helmets isn't going to effect me personally. I hope that decision never affects you either.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Interesting comments on expiration date, so next time buying a helmet compare the manufactured date and expiration date and ask the dealer for a pro-rated discount on remaining “life”. Wonder what the dealer response would be then??? LOL
Have to pay attention to expiration dates on $400 EPI pens, refuse them at pharmacy if aged, according to their own logic.

Last edited:
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Right up until your head smacks off the rops or anything else. As I said in another post in this thread, nothing in this thread is going to change someone's mind. You and you're family not wearing helmets isn't going to effect me personally. I hope that decision never affects you either.
NO .... there truly is a huge difference. But using your mindset, better wear a helmet in the shower, you know you may slip, fall, and hit your head. You know you can not be TOO safe. Better safe than sorry.

Where does it end ..... it doesn't.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting comments on expiration date, so next time buying a helmet compare the manufactured date and expiration date and ask the dealer for a pro-rated discount on remaining “life”. Wonder what the dealer response would be then??? LOL
Yeah, he would LOL.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
First of all most good helmets are painted and the paint has UV protection, along with UV protection added to the plastic, helmets don’t degrade as quickly as cheap plastic. As long as the helmet hasn’t taken a heavy hit it’s good for a long time. Kinda designed into it, the replace date is really more to as a guideline for some and sales.
We grew up dirt bikes, my kids don’t remember a day they didn’t ride. I wasn’t the guy that had a machine to ride with buddies and occasionally let my kids ride with us. Family riding, and kids came first with gear and machine. We taught many how to ride,especially kids and always had extra gear and machines. As a father two things were always said: “where’s your lid and where’s your boots”
most important things, honestly from all I’ve seen boots are right there because you’re feet are always in harms way. Same on a 4-wheeler!!
Still that way but Sxs’s are a little different. You’re not ejected into stationary objects. You’re fairly well protected as long as there is something to hit and your not just rolling into the abyss. Your rig takes the hit usually. Been in a couple big rolls and a heavy hit from an underground rock in the trail. I’m sure most remember that, had we been wearing helmets we for sure would’ve had whiplash bad. I’m just not an advocate of helmets in a semi protected environment, I can see both ways but for where we ride I don’t see as many advantages like with a bike. To each his own and I’m not saying don’t wear them but being cautious is more important for us. Yes I ride a “little” differently when it’s just me but loaded up it’s always precious cargo on my mind. Experience helps and this isn’t exactly my family’s first rodeo so I’ll ride my way and let others ride theirs. Important thing regardless of someone’s beliefs on a few things is seatbelts, common sense, making sure the occupants know to hold onto grab handles and any load is secure, a heavy shift in load off road with a sxs is detrimental.
Just because you got a helmet on doesn’t mean the rest of the situation is ideal. To each thier own. When choosing a helmet make sure it’s lightweight, IMO that’s very important especially with kids.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Riding MC on road, worried about other cars and road debris. On SXS, worry about blind hills with other fast riders. Helmets or not, being ALERT of surroundings, and don’t try stupid stuff is protection everyone can do. The @CumminsPusher common sense rule. My motorcycle ride surprise, in a split second. Wish I had the GoPro when a deer hit me,..or maybe not.

Last edited:
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tenor

J

JTW

LOL ..... I ain't believing this crap! This nation has turned into a bunch of whimpering babies. Cookies expired ..... throw them away. Helmet 2 yrs old ...... get a new one. Dang it ..... I could not live like that. I am 70 and have eaten more 'expired' food than I can remember .... It will probably kill me before I make 100. COMMON SENSE ..... if it taste bad spit it out and throw it away!!!!
I road dirt bikes until 10 yrs ago. I think I have owned 3 helmets ..... lol
Preach!!

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
5 point harnesses in Drag Racing have to be replaced or re certified every two years, helmets have a snell rating and it is good for 12 years. I.E.,snell rating of 2009 is good till 2021.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
NO .... there truly is a huge difference. But using your mindset, better wear a helmet in the shower, you know you may slip, fall, and hit your head. You know you can not be TOO safe. Better safe than sorry.

Where does it end ..... it doesn't.

Regardless of the hard object your head hits or how it ended up there upon impact, it is not a huge difference. A hard object hitting your head is generally something to be avoided. If you can't agree with that then feel free to go punch yourself in the head repeatedly to show me just how manly you are. Post up the video of it. I'm always ready for a laugh.

If you are trying to say the difference is 50% of the time on an ATV or dirt bike the helmet would matter while only 5% of the time in the SxS the helmet would matter (regardless of the percentages) in any given accident scenario then you very well could be correct.

To be clear....I'm all for no helmet laws, no seat belt laws, option to disable airbags, option to disable abs and removing all the ridiculous warning labels from products. I'm all for Darwin awards to be handed out. I'm equally in favor of personal responsibility. If you put a cup of hot coffee between your legs and you end up burnt, I'm sorry you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. If you go through a windshield because you didn't wear your seat belt, I'm sorry you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. If you try heroin and get an addiction or overdose, I'm sorry you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. If you play russian roulette and put a bullet in your head, I'm sorry you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. If you eat a tide pod, I'm sorry you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. If you weld naked and get hit with slag, I'm sorry you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. If you ride without a helmet and smack your head off of a hard object, I'm sorry you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.

An overwhelming majority of the time and miles ridden will be perfectly uneventful. In a very small percentage of cases bad things happen. When bad things eventually do happen, I will have a have a helmet on and you will not. That is life. I'm perfectly cool with it.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well said JB

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The fact that this pissing match is still continuing really surprises me. Let’s all agree to disagree and move on.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Regardless of the hard object your head hits or how it ended up there upon impact, it is not a huge difference. A hard object hitting your head is generally something to be avoided. If you can't agree with that then feel free to go punch yourself in the head repeatedly to show me just how manly you are. Post up the video of it. I'm always ready for a laugh.

If you are trying to say the difference is 50% of the time on an ATV or dirt bike the helmet would matter while only 5% of the time in the SxS the helmet would matter (regardless of the percentages) in any given accident scenario then you very well could be correct.

To be clear....I'm all for no helmet laws, no seat belt laws, option to disable airbags, option to disable abs and removing all the ridiculous warning labels from products. I'm all for Darwin awards to be handed out. I'm equally in favor of personal responsibility. If you put a cup of hot coffee between your legs and you end up burnt, I'm sorry you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. If you go through a windshield because you didn't wear your seat belt, I'm sorry you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. If you try heroin and get an addiction or overdose, I'm sorry you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. If you play russian roulette and put a bullet in your head, I'm sorry you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. If you eat a tide pod, I'm sorry you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. If you weld naked and get hit with slag, I'm sorry you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. If you ride without a helmet and smack your head off of a hard object, I'm sorry you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.

An overwhelming majority of the time and miles ridden will be perfectly uneventful. In a very small percentage of cases bad things happen. When bad things eventually do happen, I will have a have a helmet on and you will not. That is life. I'm perfectly cool with it.
Sooooooo ...... with all that said, there TRULY is a percent of folks that fall down in the shower/tub and HIT their HEAD. Again using your mindset I am sure everyone in the family wear their helmets when they bath ...... LOL. Otherwise it may be the case of ..... "you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize".

There is NO end to the 'safety' aspect. Future generations will look like that meme of the fella totally wrapped up in foam.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sooooooo ...... with all that said, there TRULY is a percent of folks that fall down in the shower/tub and HIT their HEAD. Again using your mindset I am sure everyone in the family wear their helmets when they bath ...... LOL. Otherwise it may be the case of ..... "you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize".

There is NO end to the 'safety' aspect. Future generations will look like that meme of the fella totally wrapped up in foam.

Actually there is an end...Yours stops with "common sense". Mine adds a few additional precautions like seat belts, gloves, boots, helmet, and goggles. The Anderson's don't bother checking their squeaky brakes or loose lug nuts on their way underinflated tire. The Smith's don't let anyone under 13 in their SxS and no on under the age of 18 drive it. The Jones don't let their family participate at all. The beauty of it is we all get to make the choices and live with the consequences.

J

JTW

I just am at a loss here...if someone chooses to wear a helmet in a sxs, by all means! It’s probably not a bad idea. But when I’m strapped in my harnesses in the sxs, I’m pretty well protected. Most sxs injuries occur because people aren’t strapped in and get between the cage and the object they hit, be that ground, rock, tree. What kills me is by law you don’t have to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle but you have to wear a seat belt in a car. If we want to talk statistics, you’re far more likely to be involved in a severe accident in your car than your sxs. So why aren’t folks wearing helmets in their cars? Again, to each is own. And if you choose to wear a helmet or not. By all means. I don’t give a s*** one way or another. It’s been said time and time again about using sense. That’s the key to all of it! s*** happens sometimes and that’s unavoidable to an extent. But when it comes to kids it’s our job as parents to protect them. That doesn’t always mean wrapping them up like they’re being shipped usps because you know they’re going to get broke if you don’t. I keep life jackets on the kids when they’re in the boat and moving. And I put the little one in a car seat. When in the car or sxs if we’re actually “riding”. Now if I didn’t have them properly restrained a helmet would be a greater need. But they are. So it’s not. And furthermore, I’m not doing the same riding with the kids as I do by myself. That doesn’t mean that freak things can’t happen. But the reality is, if you’re situationally aware the chances of bad things happening are reduced. I carry a gun and I’m aware of my surroundings. And so far, I’ve never had to use it. But that’s hugely because I’m aware of my surroundings. When you go looking for trouble you’re far more likely to find it. Same goes with riding a sxs, driving a car or raw dogging a bar fly. Use your head and minimize your risk. If you can’t use your head then by all means use more protective equipment. That’s why the Arabs invented condoms. But it was the English that decided to remove them from the sheep before use. They were situationally aware!

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I agree, there is no end to the safety aspect. It's kinda like a 5in lift on the rig, there will be a 6in rock and so on. My wife was in one of the safest vehicles on the road..a full size ambulance with lights and sirens going with her seatbelt on, someone still pulled out in front of them. After a month in the ICU and a bunch of surgeries she still has the scars and one less eye.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree, there is no end to the safety aspect. It's kinda like a 5in lift on the rig, there will be a 6in rock and so on. My wife was in one of the safest vehicles on the road..a full size ambulance with lights and sirens going with her seatbelt on, someone still pulled out in front of them. After a month in the ICU and a bunch of surgeries she still has the scars and one less eye.
Your ol lady is awesome! You’re a lucky man. I still remember scaring her a bit riding up the the truck thinking it was you.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry to hear that, that’s a tough situation.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!