SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m on the fence.

I see it both ways.

I’m a former fireman / first responder. Seen enough car accidents and MC accidents to make me a believer in belts and helmets in their respective situation.

I made my kids wear helmets but not myself last year.

My kids started asking why I didn’t, and I realized it’s hard to lead by example if I’m not doing so my self. This year I pulled out my MC helmet as well.

If we are toolin around the farm at low speed...I don’t make them wear them, but belts for sure. Less than 15 mph or so.

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
My 7 and 3 year old boys ride dirt bikes at home, and wear a helmet, full face DOT. Makes it easy to slap one on them in the back seat. No complaints, only have done about 100 miles so far but did ride by someone else who lost a front wheel, dead straight easy trail but rolled onto its side after it pulled into the ditch. Freak accident but no one was hurt, they had helmets on.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 7 and 3 year old boys ride dirt bikes at home, and wear a helmet, full face DOT. Makes it easy to slap one on them in the back seat. No complaints, only have done about 100 miles so far but did ride by someone else who lost a front wheel, dead straight easy trail but rolled onto its side after it pulled into the ditch. Freak accident but no one was hurt, they had helmets on.

Wonder how they lost the wheel. Regardless, sometimes things happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing and sharp
J

JTW

Helmets AND boots are a MUST on the dirt bike... I’d even add in the hand guards. But if you’re strapped in within a cage, it’s like using a rubber while she’s on the pill. Y’all must not have lived on the edge!

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When we were at the Takeover the kids 6 and 9 had on bike helmets. We don't go fast and they know not to put their hand out if we flip. Wife and me no helmet me no seatbelt. When we got home the wife said something to me about no seatbelt. I grew up no seatbelt but next time I will have it on (lead by example). I ride very safe we have fun but I don't ride crazy. My kids could get hurt yes I'm sure its possible. For me a full helmet is way extreme and my kids are tough they haven't been raised in a bubble. Also as a Godly man past the point that I have taken it. Its in Gods hand they have on a seatbelt and a helmet that will handle a low impact at the speed I will be traveling after that its all up to God. Nothing can happen if he doesn't want it. The bubble isn't going to stop his plan.

I'm for safety but I'm not into the safety bubble.

But dad has to do a better job of leading by example. I need them to grow up and be the man/women I want to be for them. (REAL TALK)

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m of the opinion that it depends on what type of riding we are doing. If I’m just checking fence or doing yard work, I don’t make my son wear a helmet because I’m not going fast or trying to go places that present a chance to get hurt. If he would’ve been with me at the Takeover, he would have been wearing it and his seatbelt with the net down where he was sitting. I’m not going to take any chances of him getting hurt and having to live with regret that I could have done more to prevent it. He doesn’t get to ride his four wheeler without a helmet, it’s second nature now for him to put it on. Just do what’s right guys.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
it’s the persons own choice. Going to leave it at that. I had my true thoughts on the matter but those are mine and my family’s. Just be safe and know there’s precious cargo on board

J

JTW

Let’s ride boys!!

F4415104 3423 4B65 A7C5 97FD4AE06B60

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Our Boys rode motorcross growing up and yes 2 made it to Loretta Lynn - proud moment! They always wore helmets. We ride in the desert and ride pretty fast everyone in our SXS does wear a helmet for the most part. Especially our grandkids! But like I said the desert riding is fast, not the slower wood trails or mud trails. But I guess as a parent it really is up to the parents of the kids and the riding circumstances.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
the only time we don't have helmets on is less than 5 working or putting around my place working. I never found it difficult or expensive really to find small helmets she had a full motorcycle from the time she had the lt80 4-5, whether she was riding with me or not. don't wear a belt though they are pretty rough on you, you never had one on the quad and we are always wearing snowmobile hybrid helmets for four seasons. I figure if something happens you got all the cage and bars to keep you in and its not going a hundred most I ever go with her is like 30

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have helmets for the sxs but never wear them. Seat belts are a must, even at relatively low speed you can get into a rut or something sticking up that will throw the machine. I look at it as the seat belt is keeping me behind the wheel instead of bouncing around in the cab. If you can't stay put then you won't have control of it. IMO, helmets aren't necessary if you're strapped in properly, even kids.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think we all agree helmets do their job at preventing head injuries. We all evaluated the risk for ourselves and our families/friends and ultimately (outside of any applicable laws/rules/regulations) that is your choice as an individual and the parent. That said if you choose to justify not wearing one and/or not making your kiddo(s) wear one it is ultimately your decision. Any discussion in this thread is highly unlikely to change anyone's mind.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I always make my kids wear a helmet on an ATV no ? Asked and was a stickler the first 2 years on a sxs. After watching them bobble around I'd let them take em off here and there. Now i don't make them wear it in the sxs at all if they don't want. They want to if it's cold, but with the windshield and full doors, it's safe, plus we don't ride fast trails or ones that have big weekend traffic. Rarely hit 25 mph.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Always helmets on dirt bikes growing up, face shield saved my face when crashed, knocked out and a week in hospital with concussion. For kids on trails, recommend helmets for protection against ROPS hits and door nets to keep arms inside. Whenever I have a really sketchy trail section, let the passenger out which also eliminates an unexpected shift in balance from them in a tilt situation, especially with the small P500. But can understand no helmets on smooth slow rides like around a yard. Guess common sense prevails.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Pretty soon gov will just eliminate some of the risk and require crash testing and airbags. I sure wouldn’t want to buy first gen of that from Polaris. Lol.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One of the helmets I’ve “retired” over the years. Nothing overly crazy but it was a hard enough hit to separate the shell from the foam. Plenty of chips and scrapes in the shell to make me glad I had it on. I kept this one because I was “only” taking the atv across the field from the truck/trailer over to wash it after riding all day. Left grip came off in my hand as I shifted into second. I can’t tell you how many times I had blasted across there doing a third or fourth gear wheelie. For once I wasn’t dicking off and it was a time I typically wouldn’t have bothered to put a helmet on. Not claiming this instance saved my life here but it certainly gave me a new found appreciation for always wearing it.

B3875b626a35fff03d9dfe30171ec8dd

Bc388cfe6e3713cd46050f821cad5883

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
These were last weekend up camping. Heard the sound and then Tigers wife texted me the photos, they were close. The heli touched down in the field and airlifted a woman out.
She was going up a hill on a quad, sounds like maybe it was a Polaris with engine braking possibly. She couldn’t make it up so started to roll down when the back tires grabbed and she went over.
I didn’t hear if she was wearing a helmet but it probably would’ve been same results, she wound up compressing her spine.
I’ve always hated quads personally, I’ve just seen too much happen by inexperienced riders that think they are Superman till things go bad. We enforced safety gear on ours. Treated it like a dirt bike although I don’t think they are near as safe.
9D9F7759 81E0 4DF8 9B2E 80E54022277C

CF4B0896 E0FF 4923 8AE9 A92AA34EB030

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These were last weekend up camping. Heard the sound and then Tigers wife texted me the photos, they were close. The heli touched down in the field and airlifted a woman out.
She was going up a hill on a quad, sounds like maybe it was a Polaris with engine braking possibly. She couldn’t make it up so started to roll down when the back tires grabbed and she went over.
I didn’t hear if she was wearing a helmet but it probably would’ve been same results, she wound up compressing her spine.
I’ve always hated quads personally, I’ve just seen too much happen by inexperienced riders that think they are Superman till things go bad. We enforced safety gear on ours. Treated it like a dirt bike although I don’t think they are near as safe.
View attachment 132613
View attachment 132615

It's all fun and games until there is blood. Suddenly life gets real in a hurry.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!