President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like seat belts... it’s a way to sell more

The foam does get brittle with time. Your sweat breaks it down as well. I replace my street helmet every 5 years. I replace the off road helmets every 10 years. A drop from waist height or higher warrants replacement as well. That is why I typically don't set my helmet on the seat of an ATV or motorcycle. And it should go without saying but they are one time use in terms of accidents as well.

Just one man's opinion on the subject.

I have heard that harnesses have an expiration date for sanctioned racing, but I don't know if there is a similar recommendation for personal/recreational use. I don't have them so I haven't read up on it to know for sure.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The foam does get brittle with time. Your sweat breaks it down as well. I replace my street helmet every 5 years. I replace the off road helmets every 10 years. A drop from waist height or higher warrants replacement as well. That is why I typically don't set my helmet on the seat of an ATV or motorcycle. And it should go without saying but they are one time use in terms of accidents as well.

Just one man's opinion on the subject.

I have heard that harnesses have an expiration date for sanctioned racing, but I don't know if there is a similar recommendation for personal/recreational use. I don't have them so I haven't read up on it to know for sure.

We replace our helmets every 2 years or so. We only wear Arai or Bell helmets. I know they are expensive, but they are the best for protecting the ol noggin.

I raced motorcycles off road (Score, BITD, District 37, Whiplash) for over 25 years and saw firsthand the results of cheap ineffective or sometimes nonexistent safety gear. Helmets, goggles, gloves, etc are safety gear. What is your head worth? How will any of us feel if, god forbid, someone you love winds up with a head injury? And it was in our power to have prevented it?

3wtrod

Apr 14, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wearing a helmet is not a fashion statement. It protects the CPU of your body. Children rely on us to be the adults in the room. If you think you or your child is/are exempt from injuries because your "super careful", your fooling yourself. Error on the side of caution and wear a helmet.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Key word being liability... slap an expiration date on something and not only do you sell more but reduce your liability.

Ya, I’ll bet your the guy who goes to all the local grocery stores and buys up all of the food that’s past their expiration dates. Ya, what the hell do the food manufacturers know anyway? They just want to sell more food, that’s the only reason they put expiration dates on it anyway......

Reactions: Mopower58
J

JTW

Ya, I’ll bet your the guy who goes to all the local grocery stores and buys up all of the food that’s past their expiration dates. Ya, what the hell do the food manufacturers know anyway? They just want to sell more food, that’s the only reason they put expiration dates on it anyway......
No.. but I am the guy that doesn’t throw out the milk because it’s a couple days past the best by date!
And I’m pretty sure a helmet doesn’t spoil.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No.. but I am the guy that doesn’t throw out the milk because it’s a couple days past the best by date!

Might need to define spoil.

If it degrades and doesn’t provide the protection that it was originally designed for, then it’s spoiled and should have been retired.

The thing is that it is a piece of major safety equipment. You never know when your going to need it. When you do need it, it will be for a couple of milliseconds after which you (or your children who YOU are responsible for) will live with the results of a “spoiled” helmet forever.

If being a cheap ass on helmets for your kids while spending $20k on a toy floats your boat, then great. But don’t downplay the seriousness of having great safety equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Russ989 and Mudwing
J

JTW

Might need to define spoil.

If it degrades and doesn’t provide the protection that it was originally designed for, then it’s spoiled and should have been retired.

The thing is that it is a piece of major safety equipment. You never know when your going to need it. When you do need it, it will be for a couple of milliseconds after which you (or your children who YOU are responsible for) will live with the results of a “spoiled” helmet forever.

If being a cheap ass on helmets for your kids while spending $20k on a toy floats your boat, then great. But don’t downplay the seriousness of having great safety equipment.

Ok.. so you buy a new helmet and it has a date of 2022 on it. Are you just going to pitch it, when you get there? What if it’s only been on your head twice in that time frame with no accidents and sitting on a shelf in the closet the rest of the time? You think that helmet is junk now? It’s f***ing plastic and styrofoam.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ok.. so you buy a new helmet and it has a date of 2022 on it. Are you just going to pitch it, when you get there? What if it’s only been on your head twice in that time frame with no accidents and sitting on a shelf in the closet the rest of the time? You think that helmet is junk now? It’s f***ing plastic and styrofoam.
Yea, I agree with you but, I had a pair of Rock's that turned into shoe gue after 5 years, every brand of sandals or tennis shoe's sole delaminates, think helmets will be any different?

Reactions: Mopower58
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Roll the dice and take your chances. It’s your life

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015

What you say is true I think the expiration dates are to make more money, cover liability and please the government. I agree that what they are attempting to do is take the intelligence aspect out because they can't trust everyone has any.

Of course a helmet that has been sitting in the house and never used will still work in 5 year or 10 years. Owning a medical clinic every single thing has an expiration date. You think the the gauze in my cabinet really expires in 6 months or a year, of course not but i have to replace it because it says so.

Back to initial discussion I don't wear a helmet, but after having an irreparable AC separation from a stupid wreck going 10mph I do have full harnesses. I do place my kids in a proper car seat firmly attached when riding, but I do not generally have them wear a helmet unless rarely I have to take a hard trail. I also have an aftermarket roll cage thats a hell of a lot stouter than stock. To note I have flipped with my kiddo once I was turning around at night time and just drove a little to far off a culvert. Car seat did well and held her firm, accidents do happen

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
liability seems more the purpose, but if you race they check the ratings and dates, the two places I race the car both do, so helmets go on the shelf and if some one want to borrow one for whatever reason used for that. my daughter obviously has a new one every couple years just because it doesn't fit anymore, she did like the motorcycle ones just because they are cooler but now I got her a snow mobile one like mine that opens up for summer. I don't have to worry about branches or a windshield get mudded or scratched up if you wear a helmet either. guess it just how you are brought up, been riding and racing things for, well there were only 3 wheels when I started

Reactions: JTW and Mudwing
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2 cents ....... I am all for 'safety' and even more so for using common sense. I am NOT for the 'over board' level of safety that is pushed by the PC and govt. I will not wear a helmet to ride a bicycle nor a horse, not will I put one on my family. If you are that damn scared of getting hurt ...... stay in the house ..... BUT beware, the roof may fall on you ..... lol.

No one had to tell me to wear a helmet when riding dirt bikes most of my life ..... same for the kids. If kids are in the P1K I will not attempt to climb Mt. Rushmore and I don't see the need for a helmet while cruising around on flat ground. I grew up STANDING up in the bed of the pickup enroute to the swimhole and climbing trees free handed. I refuse to raise my family in the current ..... "if you are going out side, be sure to put your helmet, life vest, and safety harness on" attitude. I will use the judgement the Lord gave to a 'reasonable' man to do what is 'reasonable' ....... and not go extreme.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One of the helmets I’ve “retired” over the years. Nothing overly crazy but it was a hard enough hit to separate the shell from the foam. Plenty of chips and scrapes in the shell to make me glad I had it on. I kept this one because I was “only” taking the atv across the field from the truck/trailer over to wash it after riding all day. Left grip came off in my hand as I shifted into second. I can’t tell you how many times I had blasted across there doing a third or fourth gear wheelie. For once I wasn’t dicking off and it was a time I typically wouldn’t have bothered to put a helmet on. Not claiming this instance saved my life here but it certainly gave me a new found appreciation for always wearing it.

View attachment 132608

View attachment 132609

Big difference in needing a helmet on dirtbike/atv VS in a cage SxS.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LOL ..... I ain't believing this crap! This nation has turned into a bunch of whimpering babies. Cookies expired ..... throw them away. Helmet 2 yrs old ...... get a new one. Dang it ..... I could not live like that. I am 70 and have eaten more 'expired' food than I can remember .... It will probably kill me before I make 100. COMMON SENSE ..... if it taste bad spit it out and throw it away!!!!
I rode dirt bikes until 10 yrs ago. I think I have owned 3 helmets ..... lol

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!