Last straw

ElmerFudd

ElmerFudd

Jul 19, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Haven't been on hear for a long while. Just need to blow off some steam.
On a hunting trip recently. Had just done full service before leaving home.
Oil was a low. Nearest dealer in Steamboat Springs, CO does not carry Honda oil.
Told me that Honda made the buy a huge quantity at a time and it wasn't worth it.
Let that sink in. They sell Honda products but don't carry Honda oil.
Next nearest dealer was over 200 miles in any direction.
Wrote Honda. They told me that dealers are independently owned and they could do what they want.
Pretty easy to decide what my next SXS will be.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Oil was a low. Nearest dealer in Steamboat Springs, CO does not carry Honda oil.
Told me that Honda made the buy a huge quantity at a time and it wasn't worth it.
Wrote Honda. They told me that dealers are independently owned and they could do what they want.
Try Rotella T6, meets or exceeds Honda specs and you can probably pick it up at WalMart.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think JASO compliant is what you’re looking for in terms of wet clutch compliance. Hopefully remembering it right for you.

Edit: It is JASO MA or MA2 as noted below

Last edited:
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I think JASO compliant is what you’re looking for in terms of wet clutch compliance. Hopefully remembering it right for you.
Youre close Prez..... Jaso MA or MA2 is what we're looking for, ironically most diesel oils have this spec. As Smitty said, Rotella T6 (or T5) works well.

ElmerFudd

ElmerFudd

Jul 19, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for all the quick replies.
I found out later the sub transmission wasn't actually low. Did not realize how touchy the level is when the machine is just a little off level. Found a more level spot at camp and it was ok. When the book says level I guess they mean level.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
It can also be virtual origami following the actual Honda procedure for checking the oil level (starting, waiting, running, stopping, waiting, checking, adding oil, rinse & repeat).

One suggestion I read (from someone on these forums, I think) was to follow the Honda process to ensure the oil level is correct, then let it sit and completely cool, THEN ... pull the dipstick and mark the dipstick where the oil level is at when it's cool/cold.

That way, if you want to check your oil before a ride, you can just pull the stick and check it and not have to go through the entire run/stop/wait process.

ElmerFudd

ElmerFudd

Jul 19, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It can also be virtual origami following the actual Honda procedure for checking the oil level (starting, waiting, running, stopping, waiting, checking, adding oil, rinse & repeat).

One suggestion I read (from someone on these forums, I think) was to follow the Honda process to ensure the oil level is correct, then let it sit and completely cool, THEN ... pull the dipstick and mark the dipstick where the oil level is at when it's cool/cold.

That way, if you want to check your oil before a ride, you can just pull the stick and check it and not have to go through the entire run/stop/wait process.
Thanks. I actually thought about doing exactly that. Marking it when cold.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I found out later the sub transmission wasn't actually low. Did not realize how touchy the level is when the machine is just a little off level. Found a more level spot at camp and it was ok. When the book says level I guess they mean level.
The sub trans is completely separate from the engine/transmission, the oils from both systems don't mix so you can run any oil of the proper weight in the sub trans, it doesn't require the same additives that the engine/transmission does in regards to the wet clutch.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok , I give up. What will your next sxs be?

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
OK. Everybody stand down....... It was all just a mirage

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Honda doesn’t make oil so I’d put any wet clutch friendly oil in it you can find. Just one man’s opinion though.
Completely true. 👍 This came up on a motorcycling site, got referred to the Valvoline site and it says that you can mix any oil you want, even dino with full synthetic. There's a spec saying oils have to be compatible because they know it's going to happen.
Ok thanks. So you are saying its okay to mix brands to top off a machine??
Yep, see above.
Absolutely!!! Much better than running it low on oil.
Indeed it is.
Oil blends with oil. Top it off, relax, and run it!
Yep, again, see top reply.
Youre close Prez..... Jaso MA or MA2 is what we're looking for, ironically most diesel oils have this spec. As Smitty said, Rotella T6 (or T5) works well.
This is all that matters. 👍

wave.gif

Honda's recommended procedure for checking the (Talon's) oil level is ridiculously unrepeatable IMO.

It reads -
18. Start the engine and let it idle for 3-5 minutes.
19. Stop the engine and after 2-3 minutes, check the oil level. Make sure the oil is between the upper and lower level marks on the dipstick.

When I do an oil and filters change, I add 6.1 qt. per the manual and never look at the dipstick. 1/10th qt. is 3.2 oz. - so 6 qts, 3.2 oz.

I never use the ridiculous Honda procedure of warming up, shutting off, waiting for 2 or 3 minutes, then check oil level. WTF? I do an oil change, run the buggy long enough to saturate the filters, shut off, wait (sometimes overnight) and then check the oil with the dipstick fully seated - like you would before a ride or when sitting in the garage during the week. Idjits.

Right after an oil change, running long enough to saturate filters and letting sit -
383195 58c50e07240bfaf82b1836577a940cb8

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!