Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been window shopping generators for a while now. Really been focusing more to the inverter side.

I currently have a old winco 2500 watt generator (1985 vintage) that I have had since new and it’s a good little runner....but it’s heavier and louder than you know what. Great generator for running equipment that I really don’t care about as the power quality isn’t very clean.

I’d like to get something that is light enough for me to load by my self, has enough oomph to run a RV with a 15k AC unit and is not going to require a fill up every hour. I’d also plan on using it for a future ice house. I’d also set it up to run my house (furnace and lights only if necessary.

I’m thinking I’ll need something around 3k Watts minimum to run the AC on my camper.

I like the Honda generators but not sure I like them for as much as they cost. Also not excited about having two generators too carry as well.

Too be quite honest my current generator may run just a few hours of the year at best. This makes it hard for me to lay down a lot of dough.

FWIW I’m considering the Champion 3400 watt dual fuel setup. I’d like to be at the 1.2K dollars at most.

It also looks like it is one of the quietest outfits as well.

Champion® 3500 Watt Dual Fuel Inverter Portable Generator

Maybe I should just go full Harbor Freight?

Thoughts suggestions?

Reactions: sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been window shopping generators for a while now. Really been focusing more to the inverter side.

I currently have a old winco 2500 watt generator (1985 vintage) that I have had since new and it’s a good little runner....but it’s heavier and louder than you know what. Great generator for running equipment that I really don’t care about as the power quality isn’t very clean.

I’d like to get something that is light enough for me to load by my self, has enough oomph to run a RV with a 15k AC unit and is not going to require a fill up every hour. I’d also plan on using it for a future ice house. I’d also set it up to run my house (furnace and lights only if necessary.

I’m thinking I’ll need something around 3k Watts minimum to run the AC on my camper.

I like the Honda generators but not sure I like them for as much as they cost. Also not excited about having two generators too carry as well.

Too be quite honest my current generator may run just a few hours of the year at best. This makes it hard for me to lay down a lot of dough.

FWIW I’m considering the Champion 3400 watt dual fuel setup. I’d like to be at the 1.2K dollars at most.

It also looks like it is one of the quietest outfits as well.

Champion® 3500 Watt Dual Fuel Inverter Portable Generator

Maybe I should just go full Harbor Freight?

Thoughts suggestions?
I think @Remington can point you in the right direction.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I think I want to stick inverter generators. I have a Honda mower with the gc190... while quieter than my old beater generator, it’s still quite loud.
That little Generac generator is a good gen. I’m a bit bias being a certified Generac tech:rolleyes: my suggestions will be nutral. For an RV a little gen like the Generac you listed and the little Honda both around 3kw would be the absolute minimum you would want. A/C’s take a lot kw start up power and are hard on gens as well as compressors at start up something you don’t notice initially but will slowly do some damage through time. The quality of the gen is very important to this. cheep unit’s like Chinese units, champions, HF ect have a very choppy sine wave and cheap voltage regulators that can give you “dirty power” that can lead to long term damage to products and the gen itself. Those units imo are good for job sites and off the grid type stuff again imo. Bottom line, You’ll get what you pay for in generators. Now wanting to run your furnace in your home a fridge or 2 and a few lights, I definitely recommend a decent quality gen for that stuff. A standby is the best but not everyone can afford one. Reason being that a lot of today’s appliances aka furnace and fancy fridges use circuit boards and most motors on furnaces are ECM/ DC converted from that circuit board. In order for those to run right or have good life longevity, you need a good smooth sine wave aka a good quality generator and the proper kw. I would recommend a good 5kw absolute minamum unit for your home. The Honda’s have a nice sine wave and very quiet. I have a 3300 Honda that’s real quiet I had for my Old RV before I got a 5k equipped on my toyhauler. I hold on to the Honda cuz it’s just a real good portable, pricy but well worth it. Hope I didn’t overload you with info;)

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That little Generac generator is a good gen. I’m a bit bias being a certified Generac tech:rolleyes: my suggestions will be nutral. For an RV a little gen like the Generac you listed and the little Honda both around 3kw would be the absolute minimum you would want. A/C’s take a lot kw start up power and are hard on gens as well as compressors at start up something you don’t notice initially but will slowly do some damage through time. The quality of the gen is very important to this. cheep unit’s like Chinese units, champions, HF ect have a very choppy sine wave and cheap voltage regulators that can give you “dirty power” that can lead to long term damage to products and the gen itself. Those units imo are good for job sites and off the grid type stuff again imo. Bottom line, You’ll get what you pay for in generators. Now wanting to run your furnace in your home a fridge or 2 and a few lights, I definitely recommend a decent quality gen for that stuff. A standby is the best but not everyone can afford one. Reason being that a lot of today’s appliances aka furnace and fancy fridges use circuit boards and most motors on furnaces are ECM/ DC converted from that circuit board. In order for those to run right or have good life longevity, you need a good smooth sine wave aka a good quality generator and the proper kw. I would recommend a good 5kw absolute minamum unit for your home. The Honda’s have a nice sine wave and very quiet. I have a 3300 Honda that’s real quiet I had for my Old RV before I got a 5k equipped on my toyhauler. I hold on to the Honda cuz it’s just a real good portable, pricy but well worth it. Hope I didn’t overload you with info;)
No problem, I appreciate the info.

Your points are exactly why I don’t hook my existing winco 2500 watt generator up to anything really meaning full. It’s old school tech that works but I know the power quality isn’t so hot on it.

On my parents farm I just installed a generac standby genset last year. Worked flawlessly and it was peace of mind for me. It probably ran a total of 3 weeks this past winter.

My needs are in the much smaller range. Power is very reliable in my area. I’m more in the camp of wanting to get something for my RV that might see hard work of maybe 1 to 2 weekends a year as most of our camping is on electrical hookups.

Reactions: Remington and sharp
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No problem, I appreciate the info.

Your points are exactly why I don’t hook my existing winco 2500 watt generator up to anything really meaning full. It’s old school tech that works but I know the power quality isn’t so hot on it.

On my parents farm I just installed a generac standby genset last year. Worked flawlessly and it was peace of mind for me. It probably ran a total of 3 weeks this past winter.

My needs are in the much smaller range. Power is very reliable in my area. I’m more in the camp of wanting to get something for my RV that might see hard work of maybe 1 to 2 weekends a year as most of our camping is on electrical hookups.
Sounds like that little Generac you posted would be a perfect fit for your RV. It’s a good unit

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the 3500w Predator Inverter sold at HF and love it. Quite, reliable and runs really smooth. It with two year replacement and tax was about $800. Runs my 28’ camper with 15k A/C just fine. I did lots of research before purchasing and for my needs it fit the bill and was the right price.

Reactions: trigger and sharp
J

JTW

Following.. I’ll likely add an inverter style to my enclosed build. Only really need it for the ac/heat strip. I have an el’cheapo champion from back in the day bowfishing but it’s loud. However for $300 it’s hard to beat

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Following.. I’ll likely add an inverter style to my enclosed build. Only really need it for the ac/heat strip. I have an el’cheapo champion from back in the day bowfishing but it’s loud. However for $300 it’s hard to beat

Get you a heatpump unit and get more heat than a heat strip.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
RYOBI 2,200 Starting Watt Gray Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator-RYi2200GRA - The Home Depot
got this, we had Hondas at work and they were quieter but not worth twice the money. the ryobis are a good value for a decent gen. I got a monitor panel this runs my fridge, tvs, sump pump and that's around 1k after it settles. the in the winter I run fans over the wood stove. I'm sure you could run a 5-8k window unit if you put it in a trailer and you can get two if you want to power 15k ac or house heater and fridges. being light is the biggest deal, can keep it inside carry it out to the yard and plug a cord in. even if you have two portabity is the best thing over the big 5k single unit gens.
RYOBI Bluetooth 2,300 Starting Watt Super Quiet Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator with Parallel Combo Kit-RYi23Combo - The Home Depot

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve considered it.. but I don’t think it’s necessary for my needs. I’ll add a vented propane auxiliary heater if needed
I have a champion I'll let go cheap.
I only ever ran it thru the break in process. We didn't end up dry-camping in our old trailer.

Reactions: sharp and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
RYOBI 2,200 Starting Watt Gray Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator-RYi2200GRA - The Home Depot
got this, we had Hondas at work and they were quieter but not worth twice the money. the ryobis are a good value for a decent gen. I got a monitor panel this runs my fridge, tvs, sump pump and that's around 1k after it settles. the in the winter I run fans over the wood stove. I'm sure you could run a 5-8k window unit if you put it in a trailer and you can get two if you want to power 15k ac or house heater and fridges. being light is the biggest deal, can keep it inside carry it out to the yard and plug a cord in. even if you have two portabity is the best thing over the big 5k single unit gens.
RYOBI Bluetooth 2,300 Starting Watt Super Quiet Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator with Parallel Combo Kit-RYi23Combo - The Home Depot
I have to respectfully dissagree with running a portable for a house central air. Most window shakers you can. It’s not the kw that totals the kw to the AC it’s the start up amps and draw that is doing damage to your house AC and the non adjustable VR’s, brushes and rotor in your gen your not seeing and a monitor being gods to have will not read that. It’s your equipment, you can run what you like and I’m not trying to stop you. Just from a techs prospective im giving people some helpful advice to what folks don’t see down the line until I get the “why did my compressor fail” or “ my gen doesn’t produce voltage now” service call I get all to often.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
J

JTW

I have to respectfully dissagree with running a portable for a house central air. Most window shakers you can. It’s not the kw that totals the kw to the AC it’s the start up amps and draw that is doing damage to your house AC and the non adjustable VR’s, brushes and rotor in your gen your not seeing and a monitor being gods to have will not read that. It’s your equipment, you can run what you like and I’m not trying to stop you. Just from a techs prospective im giving people some helpful advice to what folks don’t see down the line until I get the “why did my compressor fail” or “ my gen doesn’t produce voltage now” service call I get all to often.
s***... you just googled that.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!