Let’s talk generators!

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have to respectfully dissagree with running a portable for a house central air. Most window shakers you can. It’s not the kw that totals the kw to the AC it’s the start up amps and draw that is doing damage to your house AC and the non adjustable VR’s, brushes and rotor in your gen your not seeing and a monitor being gods to have will not read that. It’s your equipment, you can run what you like and I’m not trying to stop you. Just from a techs prospective im giving people some helpful advice to what folks don’t see down the line until I get the “why did my compressor fail” or “ my gen doesn’t produce voltage now” service call I get all to often.

something in his question not adding up. he said 15k but don't seem right all the rv units would be fine with one of the parallel gens they are 5k together. I think most of the onbooards gens ive seen are 3-4k. the house ac probably not if its big but campers are not

point is they can run a lot and I'm not caring about a/c in the house when I need it heat normally

Reactions: sharp
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
something in his question not adding up. he said 15k but don't seem right all the rv units would be fine with one of the parallel gens they are 5k together. I think most of the onbooards gens ive seen are 3-4k. the house ac probably not if its big but campers are not

point is they can run a lot and I'm not caring about a/c in the house when I need it heat normally
15k I’m thinking what he is stating is a 1-1/2 ton ac. A 15kw ac would be an HVAC roof top unit lol. Yes, Rvs are a different ball game and the units are similar to a window shaker and the sine wave and start up are not a critical. My Onen in my toyhauler is a 5kw as they state 5500. I have 2 ac’s To run on that. Just be careful running a portable on your furnace. If it’s a basic 80% or very basic 90% without an ECM motor you should be ok. There will be a mandate to ECM motors to be stranded on every manufacturerd furnaces starting next year and portables will rake havoc on them.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
inverters are the best for modern loads, "portable" to me is saying like old freq controlled gen and not what we are talking about

also worked on generators for about ten years, they were kohler diesels up to like 200k

Reactions: Remington and JTW
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For what it’s worth it’s hard to beat the warranty on the harbor freight genys. Had mine running in a closed but vented tool box. It ended up over heating and eventually wiping out the rings, my fault not theirs. Brought it back to them told them it blows blue smoke, and they swapped it out right there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
inverters are the best for modern loads, "portable" to me is saying like old freq controlled gen and not what we are talking about

also worked on generators for about ten years, they were kohler diesels up to like 200k
Your opinion. Sorry to rattle your box.

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

15k btu.

RVs have two types of AC, a basic 13.5k btu or 15k btu.

Starting Watts on a 15k btu are around 3000 watts. Operation is around 2400 watts.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
guess your right i thought they were 5 or 6, i thought i remembered seeing 5 in mine when i was cleaning it so maybe its 15 really
i think the parallel setup will power the 15 but regardless if you are running two or one big one its going to be thirsty. thats why i got the ryobi in the first place, with thee 5500 i had powering my house when i first moved here used 5g /8hrs and its a problem getting gas when the power is out for days. the ryobi uses 1gal same time, powering big fridge, chest freezer, pump, tv and box, few fans all that is about 1k so that big one is over kill anyway, starting is a bit more obviously so i stage the switches. 1

• Nominal Capacity, BTU/hr: 13500
  • Compressor-rated load amps: 13.2
  • Fan motor-rated load amps: 2.7
  • Blower speeds: 3
  • SCFM, high speed max/min: 300/350
  • Installed Weight, pounds**: 74
  • Minimum Generator Size:
  • 1 Dometic Air Conditioner 3.5k Watts
  • 2 Dometic Air Conditioners 5.0k Watts

• Nominal Capacity, BTU/hr: 15000
  • Compressor-rated load amps: 13.2
  • Fan motor-rated load amps: 2.7
  • Blower speeds: 3
  • SCFM, high speed max/min: 300/350
  • Installed Weight, pounds**: 74
  • Minimum Generator Size:
  • 1 Dometic Air Conditioner 3.5k Watts
  • 2 Dometic Air Conditioners 5.0k Watt

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dang this is kinda a pia decision...70lb generator that might get the job done, or a 120 lb boat anchor that will get the job done.

I guess I can alway conference with the DW about going without A/C on the camper...pretty sure I know the answer...

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp and Remington
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
RYOBI 2,200 Starting Watt Gray Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator-RYi2200GRA - The Home Depot
got this, we had Hondas at work and they were quieter but not worth twice the money. the ryobis are a good value for a decent gen. I got a monitor panel this runs my fridge, tvs, sump pump and that's around 1k after it settles. the in the winter I run fans over the wood stove. I'm sure you could run a 5-8k window unit if you put it in a trailer and you can get two if you want to power 15k ac or house heater and fridges. being light is the biggest deal, can keep it inside carry it out to the yard and plug a cord in. even if you have two portabity is the best thing over the big 5k single unit gens.
RYOBI Bluetooth 2,300 Starting Watt Super Quiet Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator with Parallel Combo Kit-RYi23Combo - The Home Depot

Home depot is having a heck of a sale on the Sportsman generators the 2200W inverter $299

Sportsman 2,200/1,800-Watt Gasoline Powered Recoil Start Portable Digital Inverter Generator with Parallel Capability-802870 - The Home Depot

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I have been window shopping generators for a while now. Really been focusing more to the inverter side.

I currently have a old winco 2500 watt generator (1985 vintage) that I have had since new and it’s a good little runner....but it’s heavier and louder than you know what. Great generator for running equipment that I really don’t care about as the power quality isn’t very clean.

I’d like to get something that is light enough for me to load by my self, has enough oomph to run a RV with a 15k AC unit and is not going to require a fill up every hour. I’d also plan on using it for a future ice house. I’d also set it up to run my house (furnace and lights only if necessary.

I’m thinking I’ll need something around 3k Watts minimum to run the AC on my camper.

I like the Honda generators but not sure I like them for as much as they cost. Also not excited about having two generators too carry as well.

Too be quite honest my current generator may run just a few hours of the year at best. This makes it hard for me to lay down a lot of dough.

FWIW I’m considering the Champion 3400 watt dual fuel setup. I’d like to be at the 1.2K dollars at most.

It also looks like it is one of the quietest outfits as well.

Champion® 3500 Watt Dual Fuel Inverter Portable Generator

Maybe I should just go full Harbor Freight?

Thoughts suggestions?
I have 2 Honda 2000's that I used before I got my toy hauler with an on-board gen. If I were going somewhere that might be hot I took both and ran in parallel for the AC, if it was not going to be hot I just took the 1 for the micorwave, TV etc..Works out very well. I still take 1 of the Honda's even with the big on-board in the toy hauler because I don't need 5500 watts to run the TV, light or microwave. In addition the Honda's are very stingy on gas, and yes they are expensive but you will never buy another one.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Vikes79 , like @Alan said “you’ll never buy another one” for its quality reliability and quietness. This is the one I have and the ease of the electric start, quietness..you can stand over it and have a normal conversation without raising your voice. Overload protection and a wheel kid I put on. It’s not that heavy and is unbelievable on gas. It does a fantastic job. I still have it even though my toyhauler now has an on board gen. I can’t bring myself to sell it. Pricy but well worth it. Look around and you’ll find sales and discounts. This is the Honda site price. I pd $1,000 for mine.

Honda EG2800i Model Info | Portable Economy 2800 Watt Generator | Honda Generators

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: JTW and sharp
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dang this is kinda a pia decision...70lb generator that might get the job done, or a 120 lb boat anchor that will get the job done.
@Vikes79 , like @Alan said “you’ll never buy another one” for its quality reliability and quietness. This is the one I have and the ease of the electric start, quietness..you can stand over it and have a normal conversation without raising your voice. Overload protection and a wheel kid I put on. It’s not that heavy and is unbelievable on gas. It does a fantastic job. I still have it even though my toyhauler now has an on board gen. I can’t bring myself to sell it. Pricy but well worth it. Look around and you’ll find sales and discounts. This is the Honda site price. I pd $1,000 for mine.

Honda EG2800i Model Info | Portable Economy 2800 Watt Generator | Honda Generators

That’s a nice machine. It would be a good compromise as well.

I’m going to measure my camper basement as I’d like to store the generator in this location.

I know my RV AC can start and run on 15 amps provided it is the only load as I’ve done it before. I should be good as long as 20 amps are available on the generator at a minimum.

Thanks for the ideas!

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have 2 Honda 2000's that I used before I got my toy hauler with an on-board gen. If I were going somewhere that might be hot I took both and ran in parallel for the AC, if it was not going to be hot I just took the 1 for the micorwave, TV etc..Works out very well. I still take 1 of the Honda's even with the big on-board in the toy hauler because I don't need 5500 watts to run the TV, light or microwave. In addition the Honda's are very stingy on gas, and yes they are expensive but you will never buy another one.
Hondas are quiet and economical. I had a 15,000 BTU A/C on my enclosed and ran the two Honda 2k's on mine and never had a problem. Spend a little extra on a Honda and you will appreciate it. Quiet generators are worth the money.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That’s a nice machine. It would be a good compromise as well.

I’m going to measure my camper basement as I’d like to store the generator in this location.

I know my RV AC can start and run on 15 amps provided it is the only load as I’ve done it before. I should be good as long as 20 amps are available on the generator at a minimum.

Thanks for the ideas!
Your quite welcome. If you need any other pics of that particular one I’ll be glad to post some for you.

Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
Have had a EU2200 Honda for 15 years have run it many many hours , other then changing oil have had nothing done to it. put gas in it choke it 2nd pull and your off. Yes it was $900 when I bought it but think I got my goodie out of it and still is a good unit.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another angle I’m now considering is adding a soft start to my RV AC and just getting a single Honda 2000 inverter generator may be the ticket. Soft starters for my RV ac run about 300 bucks.

This way I only have one light generator to lug around.

I’m an engineer by trade...I can’t help it...gotta consider all angles.

Gold-digger

Gold-digger

Mar 12, 2019
Ocean Shores Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been window shopping generators for a while now. Really been focusing more to the inverter side.

I currently have a old winco 2500 watt generator (1985 vintage) that I have had since new and it’s a good little runner....but it’s heavier and louder than you know what. Great generator for running equipment that I really don’t care about as the power quality isn’t very clean.

I’d like to get something that is light enough for me to load by my self, has enough oomph to run a RV with a 15k AC unit and is not going to require a fill up every hour. I’d also plan on using it for a future ice house. I’d also set it up to run my house (furnace and lights only if necessary.

I’m thinking I’ll need something around 3k Watts minimum to run the AC on my camper.

I like the Honda generators but not sure I like them for as much as they cost. Also not excited about having two generators too carry as well.

Too be quite honest my current generator may run just a few hours of the year at best. This makes it hard for me to lay down a lot of dough.

FWIW I’m considering the Champion 3400 watt dual fuel setup. I’d like to be at the 1.2K dollars at most.

It also looks like it is one of the quietest outfits as well.

Champion® 3500 Watt Dual Fuel Inverter Portable Generator

Maybe I should just go full Harbor Freight?

Thoughts suggestions?
A friend bought a Champion last year for there RV there relly happy with it haven't had any problems and they use it all the time

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Another angle I’m now considering is adding a soft start to my RV AC and just getting a single Honda 2000 inverter generator may be the ticket. Soft starters for my RV ac run about 300 bucks.

This way I only have one light generator to lug around.

I’m an engineer by trade...I can’t help it...gotta consider all angles.
Also as an HVAC tech as well as a gen tech. Hard start kits are mainly for compressors that have ben zapped/overloaded and or locked up. A slow start kit is kinda the same but your asking the compressor to do something that it’s not supposed to do under normal conditions. Like a Nest thermostat on most furnaces! That’s another Pandora’s box for another time. They can help for what your trying to do for a time but may give u problems in the long run. We’ve had compressors fail from the very thing your trying to do. Like I tell my engineer buddy’s, don’t over think this lol.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
would still go with the two small ones, you are only handling one light one at a time take up less room, they come with the right plug for your trailer and you are not going to run any thing else with that 3k its barely enough. all your fridge fans and crap you have to think about lights microwave. when you don't need ac you can cycle one. only downside to any gas gen is have to be used to keep the gas and stuff fresh.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!