moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kind of thinking I need to up my game on this. I have enough food and ammunition supplies to survive a week or so, if I'm home. Since I am more often than not on the road, let's hear some thoughts on bug out supplies I may need in the case of an EMP or other terrorist attack that may compromise communication and transportation infrastructures.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Remember the rule of threes for survival.

3 minutes without air
3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

I am assuming that you are wanting to create a "get home" kit rather than a specific bug out bag since you will likely already be traveling and your supplies and support system will be at home.

With the above in mind you should think about what will be between you and your home. Things such as terrain, average temperatures, availability of water, obstacles, the likelihood of 4 legged or 2 legged predators, medical conditions and how good a shape you are in.

For instance, most of the time I am either at home or work. The terrain is rolling hills with houses, fields and several rather large creeks and one river. My area is relatively warm most of the year other than 3 months or so in the winter and even then, it isn't something that would give me frostbite most of the time. 4 legged predators are basically non-existent in my area (no bears, mountain lions or wolves, just coyotes). There would, however, be quite a few opportunistic bottom feeders if I were traveling by foot after a disaster so the gray man approach is much better than a shoot me first approach. Concealed weapon, small bag, no rifle/plate carrier/big ruck. Currently I do have a medical condition that might cause me problems but it isn't something like diabetes that would be a major setback. I am in fairly decent shape and I walk a lot all the time and I could easily walk 10-15 miles at a stretch. Since my work is 25 miles or so from my house it would take me 2-3 days to get home walking taking appropriate precautions.

So, I have a small bag that has some water purification, some fire starting stuff, a good quality knife, a Glock 19 with a spare magazine and some spare socks, first aid kit and an emergency blanket. I want to be able to move relatively quickly and get home to my wife where I have other supplies. I don't worry about having food (less than 3 weeks to get home) and I don't worry about needing major shelter (temperate area with houses/barns/woods to build shelter/fire), don't need to carry water with fire/purification filtration.

If I were in different circumstances, I would probably have different stuff. For instance if I lived in bear or big cat country, I would choose something other than a G19. If I lived in a major city, I would likely choose to have more ammo or maybe a rifle to shelter in place. If I were a lot farther away from home, I would likely plan on sheltering in place until I could secure transportation.

Because I live in the New Madrid earthquake zone, most of my planning is centered around getting home after major super quake. So I am not expecting to be able to cross bridges or drive home.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Kind of thinking I need to up my game on this. I have enough food and ammunition supplies to survive a week or so, if I'm home. Since I am more often than not on the road, let's hear some thoughts on bug out supplies I may need in the case of an EMP or other terrorist attack that may compromise communication and transportation infrastructures.

BUG SPRAY....
SOME KUSH....HAHA

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Remember the rule of threes for survival.

3 minutes without air
3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

I am assuming that you are wanting to create a "get home" kit rather than a specific bug out bag since you will likely already be traveling and your supplies and support system will be at home.

With the above in mind you should think about what will be between you and your home. Things such as terrain, average temperatures, availability of water, obstacles, the likelihood of 4 legged or 2 legged predators, medical conditions and how good a shape you are in.

For instance, most of the time I am either at home or work. The terrain is rolling hills with houses, fields and several rather large creeks and one river. My area is relatively warm most of the year other than 3 months or so in the winter and even then, it isn't something that would give me frostbite most of the time. 4 legged predators are basically non-existent in my area (no bears, mountain lions or wolves, just coyotes). There would, however, be quite a few opportunistic bottom feeders if I were traveling by foot after a disaster so the gray man approach is much better than a shoot me first approach. Concealed weapon, small bag, no rifle/plate carrier/big ruck. Currently I do have a medical condition that might cause me problems but it isn't something like diabetes that would be a major setback. I am in fairly decent shape and I walk a lot all the time and I could easily walk 10-15 miles at a stretch. Since my work is 25 miles or so from my house it would take me 2-3 days to get home walking taking appropriate precautions.

So, I have a small bag that has some water purification, some fire starting stuff, a good quality knife, a Glock 19 with a spare magazine and some spare socks, first aid kit and an emergency blanket. I want to be able to move relatively quickly and get home to my wife where I have other supplies. I don't worry about having food (less than 3 weeks to get home) and I don't worry about needing major shelter (temperate area with houses/barns/woods to build shelter/fire), don't need to carry water with fire/purification filtration.

If I were in different circumstances, I would probably have different stuff. For instance if I lived in bear or big cat country, I would choose something other than a G19. If I lived in a major city, I would likely choose to have more ammo or maybe a rifle to shelter in place. If I were a lot farther away from home, I would likely plan on sheltering in place until I could secure transportation.

Because I live in the New Madrid earthquake zone, most of my planning is centered around getting home after major super quake. So I am not expecting to be able to cross bridges or drive home.
Man that's some good stuff. I live in bear/moose/big kitty country, I think my .45 should serve me well. I've got 100 extra rounds plus 5 in the wheel. My particular situation is that I could be as far as 800 miles from home. I have room for a bicycle on the truck, takes up no space. I figure I could travel by bike for at least 48-72 hours until people start losing their s***, that would give me a 100-200 mile head start on just walking. I'll need supplies to sleep, in weather ranging from 100 to -30. It's a large set of scenarios for sure, hopefully I have time to prepare!

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Water filtering straws, fire making supplies, first aid kit, good knife, firearm, compass, survival blanket, MRE. Just some stuff off the top of my head.
I was looking g at MRE online. No way am I paying big box stores prices for them. Way cheaper online. I like the water filtering straws, I also have tablets. I've got a good knife and indestructible gun. First aid too. I smoke, so I've got 400 Bic lighter in my truck lol

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Man that's some good stuff. I live in bear/moose/big kitty country, I think my .45 should serve me well. I've got 100 extra rounds plus 5 in the wheel. My particular situation is that I could be as far as 800 miles from home. I have room for a bicycle on the truck, takes up no space. I figure I could travel by bike for at least 48-72 hours until people start losing their s***, that would give me a 100-200 mile head start on just walking. I'll need supplies to sleep, in weather ranging from 100 to -30. It's a large set of scenarios for sure, hopefully I have time to prepare!

Man, with that much distance to cover I would probably have a shelter in place backup plan. Find a good defensible sheltered location and wait it out if the weather wasn't cooperative. Traveling 800 miles in a Wisconsin winter wouldn't be anything I would want to tackle, especially on foot.

Shelter in place I would add a long gun and ammo, good axe/saw combo, method of trapping for food as well as emergency rations of some sort. Hunting for food is much more energy intensive than passive trapping. You will also need some type of comm gear if nothing else to know when it will be safe to move/weather reports. If you are worried about EMP, you can keep it in something that will give it a Faraday Cage effect:

Faraday cage - Wikipedia

Technically a vehicle superstructure should provide fairly decent Faraday Cage effect, but you could store your wind up radio (what I recommend) in something else to improve the effect and it should be safe.

I have purchased from these guys before. They are centered around airplane survival but the stuff is still applicable to a ground based survival kit.

Survival Equipment, Survival Kits, Survival Gear - Best Glide Aviation Survival Equipment

Just trolling around on their site should give you some good ideas. :)

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
.22 is all you need. 1000's of rounds cheap.

In our area it is, might not be in Wisconsin. Ever seen the size of just their deer? :)

(Not to mention the things that eat them.)

Plus, rimfires are notoriously finicky about ammo. A good centerfire is much less likely to have a dud, squib, etc that will keep it from firing when you really need to get something off of you. Like a bear or a cougar.

Also another reason to have a revolver in those areas. You can do contact shots without worrying about pushing a slide out of battery or other things preventing a slide from working.

A person I respect very much always carried a .38 Spec revolver as a backup weapon for this very reason. He called it his "get off me gun".

Last edited:
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was looking g at MRE online. No way am I paying big box stores prices for them. Way cheaper online. I like the water filtering straws, I also have tablets. I've got a good knife and indestructible gun. First aid too. I smoke, so I've got 400 Bic lighter in my truck lol
Army surplus...i acquired quite a few cases before getting out. But yeah I wouldn't pay 50 bucks a case

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Remember. ..your riding in a bucket of bolts..
lots of miles...everyday..
ibuprofen. ..Tylenol. ..
So..Dr FeelGood...everything gonna
...be alright..will be very much needed
IMO

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Remember. ..your riding in a bucket of bolts..
lots of miles...everyday..
ibuprofen. ..Tylenol. ..
So..Dr FeelGood...everything gonna
...be alright..will be very much needed
IMO
No room for weed. Plus I can't keep it in the truck. Thanks anyway. I got plenty of Advil though!

Reactions: Biteme and sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And screw the bicycle idea. Get an older model moped or scooter. Takes up same space as bicycle, ignition wouldn't be affected by an emp, and will get you home or out of harms way alot quicker. (Plus I'm too friggin lazy to pedal a bike lol)

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And screw the bicycle idea. Get an older model moped or scooter. Takes up same space as bicycle, ignition wouldn't be affected by an emp, and will get you home or out of harms way alot quicker. (Plus I'm too friggin lazy to pedal a bike lol)
I've considered a moped of some sort as well. One of those pedal start types would be ideal, some scooters, even older ones still had electronic ignitions. Not sure how that would handle an EMP. Magneto fired would be the best, no?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!