Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've considered a moped of some sort as well. One of those pedal start types would be ideal, some scooters, even older ones still had electronic ignitions. Not sure how that would handle an EMP. Magneto fired would be the best, no?
Yeah same magneto as your lawnmower. Over 100 mpg. Problem solved.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I don't talk about it much but I'm a founding member of Marshall county preppers. Things that come to mind quickly are:

Ammo is currency. Buy a box per week or month.....Whatever you can. I've got way more in ammo than I do my last two Pioneers combined. Got to have priorities right? Learn to reload and take the family out for practice often.

Learn to garden and hunt

In a modern day of electrical tools, keep your hand tools. Shovels, axes, drills, etc

I still have bikes, inflatable boats, fishing stuff, snares, traps, etc. I also keep a '67 Ford around for reliable transportation. Not much to fail with that rig.

Start squirreling away any meds that your family may be on. Skip days or what ever you gotta do to build an inventory.

Keep the pantry full. My wife always makes a run to the store when food gets low, not empty. Example, when I get the last daily vitamin from the bottle I grab the next full bottle. I then put it on the grocery list and my wife gets another even though there's another bottle behind that one. Use the FIFO method for food inventory.

Make a small solar pack for charging two way radios and smart phone.

Why have a smart phone? Down load survival apps. You'll be amazed at what's available.

We finished our house in 2014. It's not a full on prepper home but we are on septic tank, well water, two fireplaces, concrete bunker and have generators. No solar power yet. Move out into the county, make a garden, feed the wildlife, live close to water. These things I planned for. These things are not easy to do so make a bug out trailer. Something small with all the essentials in it. Keep on hand some fuel to get to a pre-scouted bug out home.

I only keep a weeks worth of food and water and can provide for my family after that.

Stay in good physical condition.

For fuel, I only keep a couple hundred gallons on hand which I can stretch weeks. You can't make yourself dependent on fuel. Learn to deal with out it.

In 2011 when the tornadoes hit us, we were very popular among family because we were without electricity or fuel for 8 days. I was in another home then with generator power in the home and solar power in the shop. I was able to drive to TN to get literally a truck load of fuel for my immediate and extended family because I keep so much on hand. Keep it quiet, only family new to gather here. You don't want everyone to make you a target.

Damn, tired of typing on the phone. It's a good start though. Find a local group to join. They probably already exist.

J

JTW

I don't talk about it much but I'm a founding member of Marshall county preppers. Things that come to mind quickly are:

Ammo is currency. Buy a box per week or month.....Whatever you can. I've got way more in ammo than I do my last two Pioneers combined. Got to have priorities right? Learn to reload and take the family out for practice often.

Learn to garden and hunt

In a modern day of electrical tools, keep your hand tools. Shovels, axes, drills, etc

I still have bikes, inflatable boats, fishing stuff, snares, traps, etc. I also keep a '67 Ford around for reliable transportation. Not much to fail with that rig.

Start squirreling away any meds that your family may be on. Skip days or what ever you gotta do to build an inventory.

Keep the pantry full. My wife always makes a run to the store when food gets low, not empty. Example, when I get the last daily vitamin from the bottle I grab the next full bottle. I then put it on the grocery list and my wife gets another even though there's another bottle behind that one. Use the FIFO method for food inventory.

Why have a smart phone? Down load survival apps. You'll be amazed at what's available.

We finished our house in 2014. It's not a full on prepper home but we are on septic tank, well water, two fireplaces, concrete bunker and have generators. No solar power yet. Move out into the county, make a garden, feed the wildlife, live close to water. These things I planned for. These things are not easy to do so make a bug out trailer. Something small with all the essentials in it. Keep on hand some fuel to get to a pre-scouted bug out home.

I only keep a weeks worth of food and water and can provide for my family after that.

For fuel, I only keep a couple hundred gallons on hand which I can stretch weeks. You can't make yourself dependent on fuel. Learn to deal with out it.

In 2011 when the tornadoes hit us, we were very popular among family because we were without electricity or fuel for 8 days. I was in another home then with generator power in the home and solar power in the shop. I was able to drive to TN to get literally a truck load of fuel for my immediate and extended family because I keep so much on hand. Keep it quiet, only family new to gather here. You don't want everyone to make you a target.

Damn, tired of typing on the phone. It's a good start though. Find a local group to join. They probably already exist.
Bingo!! It's called country living! A solar flare, or major natural disaster could put a hold on life as we know it, indefinitely. Being truly prepared has to be a way of life. Thinking beyond immediate action to long term "survival" takes a lot of time and money. One thing I would add to Joey's excellent write up... be prepared to thwart those coming from metropolitan areas. You want to be further than a tank of gas away from those big cities... if that's not possible. Have means to and a plan of action to divert mass exodus from crossing your way. Bridges, overpasses, and roadways that are impassable could save your life if s*** really hits the fan.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Learn to garden and hunt

Great advice Joey, I've begun working in a few of those points. I've been working on my basement to make it more secure and inhabitable if need be. I buy a box or two of ammo a month now. For years I've always refilled my meds a week before they run out so I always have a few in reserve. I figured when the s*** hits the fan, first place I'll be headed is the pharmacy, everything else I can procure on my own. I've been considering alternative power sources as well for the house. Generators are nice, but like you said, fuel only lasts so long. Our home is situated to where we are in direct sun 80% of the day, so solar is a great option for us. My wife is slowly coming on board to the idea that we need to be prepared, so she's began a stockpile of non perishable food items. It's definitely a large lifestyle change and alot of thought needs to go into it, but I want to make sure my family is safe and comfortable in any situation.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Find an md or nurse practitioner that shares your same views, you would be surprised how many refills of antibiotics and other necessary meds some of us would prescribe :).

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I work out of town most of the time.
Talk to your family so that there is a plan.
Ours is simple:
Stay-put and I'll come to you.
If you can't stay-put (house flooded or destroyed) go to the other house, I'll come to you.
We have a place for them to leave a note. If I get there and no-one is around I'll look for the note and know where you've gone. I'll come to you.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I work out of town most of the time.
Talk to your family so that there is a plan.
Ours is simple:
Stay-put and I'll come to you.
If you can't stay-put (house flooded or destroyed) go to the other house, I'll come to you.
We have a place for them to leave a note. If I get there and no-one is around I'll look for the note and know where you've gone. I'll come to you.
That's our plan of action. Stay still, and I'll come to you, if the house is not viable we meet at our local campground, there is shelter and a water pump there. Good idea on the note.

Reactions: Biteme and sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!