P1000 Lift Options for the P1000

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So I'm starting to research lift options for the P1000 and thought many of you could help with insight from the experience you've had with yours.

What I'm looking for is not the tallest lift kit. I simply want to run a true 30" tire (10" wide on all 4) and not much more. I'm guessing I'll have to get forward arching arms. I've noticed that Joey's ride doesn't seem to be lifted as high as some and that seems about the height I would be interested in. Just want to fit the tires and not be too high.

Other things I'm factoring in are quality, suspension angle changes (would like it to handle nice still and not be stressing the natural design) and price. Price is a factor unless there is a clearly superior product. I might even consider the catvos arms in the front and just the highlighter brackets for the rear or something like this..

Thoughts?

Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I'm starting to research lift options for the P1000 and thought many of you could help with insight from the experience you've had with yours.

What I'm looking for is not the tallest lift kit. I simply want to run a true 30" tire (10" wide on all 4) and not much more. I'm guessing I'll have to get forward arching arms. I've noticed that Joey's ride doesn't seem to be lifted as high as some and that seems about the height I would be interested in. Just want to fit the tires and not be too high.

Other things I'm factoring in are quality, suspension angle changes (would like it to handle nice still and not be stressing the natural design) and price. Price is a factor unless there is a clearly superior product. I might even consider the catvos arms in the front and just the highlighter brackets for the rear or something like this..

Thoughts?
Catvos is what I believe Joey has on his bike. To my knowledge Highlifter only makes the front a arms

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I really like having the high clearance arms in the back too.

You're right that the CATVOS isn't a true 3" lift like it's advertised. I also like that. The CATVOS moves the front tires 2" forward where as the HL moves them slightly less at 1.5" forward. I'm not sure if that matters.

Things I like about the CATVOS are: small lift, factory width, very beefy, front and rear high clearance arms along with the forward arch, they keep the factory shock angle for good articulation(check the pic below for a flex comparison between CATVOS and HL)

Things I don't like: Heim joints(they are super strong but they have to be lubed a lot), price

13a53a9b484b92dac82041c252cbf319

Sent from my iPad 7G

Last edited:
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like having the high clearance arms in the back too.

You're right that the CATVOS isn't a true 3" lift like it's advertised. I also like that. The CATVOS moves the front tires 2" forward where as the HL moves them slightly less at 1.5" forward. I'm. It sure if that matters.

Things I like about the CATVOS are: small lift, factory width, very beefy, front and rear high clearance arms along with the forward arch, they keep the factory shock angle for good articulation(check the pic below for a flex comparison between CATVOS and HL)

Things I don't like: Heim joints(they are super strong but they have to be lubed a lot), price

View attachment 16319

Sent from my iPad 7G

I agree with everything in the above post. A few squirts of WD-40 quiets the heim joints down for a ride or two, but the damn joints themselves are a pain to adjust over and over again to get your alignment spot on, but guess I had rather have the option for adjustability in the long run. 1" of lift at the most with the CATVOS arms, yet still plenty of room to run 30's.

Reactions: joeymt33
M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
I am going to pickup a HL 2.5" lift and run a set of 30" blackwater evolutions just like delton has on his rig. This costs $200 for a lift instead of $2000...however i dont think the blackwaters are a tru 30" tire. From my perspective they are good enough to save $1800...

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I agree with everything in the above post. A few squirts of WD-40 quiets the heim joints down for a ride or two, but the damn joints themselves are a pain to adjust over and over again to get your alignment spot on, but guess I had rather have the option for adjustability in the long run. 1" of lift at the most with the CATVOS arms, yet still plenty of room to run 30's.

I appreciate the info, it really helps. I thought I remember reading that Joey's was a prototype and that the Catvos coming after that would be a higher lift. I'm actually ok with it being smaller, just enough to fit 30's or maybe 31's. It sounds like yours is also only around 1.5".

Question for you- I believe you had the strongmade lift before this- Is the advantage of the Catvos lift enough to make you pay the price difference again if you had to? Could you compare the strengths and weaknesses of the strongmade? I'm wondering how the ride was in comparison to the Catvos lift.

Reactions: PerryS29
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
One thing that I do like about the CATVOS kit is the strength of the tubing. I think there have been three people that I know of that have been a arms. Boomboom and HondaSXS I know both bent a arms.

But you guys are right, the cost is really high.

Sent from my iPad 7G

M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
I have 1.75" coil spacers on the front. An 2.5" high lifter complete lift. On roctane 30/10/14s. An my HL a arms will be here Thursday. So I should be good to go.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am going to pickup a HL 2.5" lift and run a set of 30" blackwater evolutions just like delton has on his rig. This costs $200 for a lift instead of $2000...however i dont think the blackwaters are a tru 30" tire. From my perspective they are good enough to save $1800...
I think you'll be happy with it man. So far I love the setup. Couple of mud holes at Iron Gap/Bull Run have proven to be too much for the Evos, but they are perfect for the mixed conditions you will face up there. I'll gladly give up a little mud grip in favor of climbing rocks well any day lol. I just can't justify spending that much for the Catvos. Not that they ain't worth it, it'd just eat up my "mad money" account lol. 5 or 6 hundred at a time I can live with. Not too hard to build that back up lol

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
the HL forward arched A-arms allow for 30" tires without lifting.... so no change in center of gravity or ride quality.

advertisement
M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
the HL forward arched A-arms allow for 30" tires without lifting.... so no change in center of gravity or ride quality.
This is interesting...the rears clear ok with 30" tires and no loft at full compression?? $400 for arched a-arms isnt to bad. However my a-arm gaurds wouldnt work anymore i am afraid

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
well.... yea 30's actually fit stock but will "kiss" the inner fender-well on the front, as they did on mine. so by installing the forward arched arms, then all interference is gone. i would think that technically you could even run a 31 outlaw, but 30 is what they are rated at. as for a arm guards, these are 1.25" tubing so they are quite stout. maybe with some creativity you could even get your guards to work.

from another person's comments, they mentioned that none of the adapters in a standard automotive ball-joint kit will work for pressing out the factory ball-joints. he used a couple of big sockets and a press i think. I'll be installing mine next Friday and will follow up on what all it took. also all the lifts apparently have steering stops so your turning radius is decreased.

i strongly recommend looking at rim offsets. MSA typically is 4+3, ITP 5+2 and i've been told STI is 6+1. I have the ITP black ops 5+2 and would have like to been that extra inch in of a 6+1 offset. i run 30" EFX motoboss. they have a meaty side lug but the center lug is fairly continuous so rides nicely on the roads, plus it has a harder rubber than most ATV mud tires so with this heavy machine it doesn't wear nearly as quickly.

M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
I got my arms today. An will be installing tomorrow. There pretty nice looking.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I appreciate the info, it really helps. I thought I remember reading that Joey's was a prototype and that the Catvos coming after that would be a higher lift. I'm actually ok with it being smaller, just enough to fit 30's or maybe 31's. It sounds like yours is also only around 1.5".

Question for you- I believe you had the strongmade lift before this- Is the advantage of the Catvos lift enough to make you pay the price difference again if you had to? Could you compare the strengths and weaknesses of the strongmade? I'm wondering how the ride was in comparison to the Catvos lift.

Since I didn't see anyone address your question on the Strong Made lift kit. I am very happy with the ride and for $169 you can't go wrong, however the biggest tire that fits is 28.5" tall in true diameter. The OEM tires are 25.5" tall not 27" if you measure them so I was able to go up 3" in tire size and the lift raised it 2" actual, all in I am about 3.75" taller than OEM tires and no lift.

Here is a few pics of lift & 28" tires: P1000 - Jackal's P1000-5

Here are some earlier pics of lift with 30.4" Roctanes, they rubbed a bit too much and robbed my highway speed, but damn they looked good, detail pics of all 4 lift brackets too:
P1000 - Jackal's P1000-5

Last edited:
Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Since I didn't see anyone address your question on the Strong Made lift kit. I am very happy with the ride and for $169 you can't go wrong, however the biggest tire that fits is 28.5" tall in true diameter. The OEM tires are 25.5" tall not 27" if you measure them so I was able to go up 3" in tire size and the lift raised it 2" actual, all in I am about 3.75" taller than OEM tires and no lift.

Here are some earlier pics of lift with 30.4" Roctanes, they rubbed a bit too much and robbed my highway speed, but damn they looked good, detail pics of all 4 lift brackets too:
P1000 - Jackal's P1000-5

P1000 - Jackal's P1000-5

Jackal -

Thanks for the detailed information. It looks like the strongmade lift is a little lower than the highlifter, which might be what I'm looking for. Also, that is some interesting info about the 30" tires. 30" tires is what I'm planning on putting on mine, but mostly to creep around on rough trails, etc. It is surprising that the top speed is affected so much though, it has me re-thinking my desired setup.

Joey- can you confirm that your top speed is affected this way as well? Maybe if I went with some tires like the Kanati Mongrel in 30" size it would help with role resistance to help with power/top speed. But then I'm still not sure if the Mongrels measure true like the rocktanes.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Jackal -

Thanks for the detailed information. It looks like the strongmade lift is a little lower than the highlifter, which might be what I'm looking for. Also, that is some interesting info about the 30" tires. 30" tires is what I'm planning on putting on mine, but mostly to creep around on rough trails, etc. It is surprising that the top speed is affected so much though, it has me re-thinking my desired setup.

Joey- can you confirm that your top speed is affected this way as well? Maybe if I went with some tires like the Kanati Mongrel in 30" size it would help with role resistance to help with power/top speed. But then I'm still not sure if the Mongrels measure true like the rocktanes.

Top speed.....

Sent from my iPad 7G

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Top speed.....

Sent from my iPad 7G

Thanks Joey. This confirms I would be fine with 30" tires. Sounds like you were even a bit uphill?

Question for you - Do you have any experience/knowledge of Kanati Mongrels or EFX Motoclaws in 30"? I'm wondering how true to size they would measure and how they would be as far as weight, etc.. I know the motoclaws are pretty heavy and have strong sidewalls, but I'm wondering if they're much more heavy than the rocktanes.

Reactions: dotman1
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I would look at the tire weight as an indicator of the height. The 30" EVOs are 33lbs and the most 8ply 30" tires are over 40 lbs.

I haven't tried the mongrels or motoclaws.

Sent from my iPad 7G

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

P1000 - Jackal's P1000-5

After looking into this more, I'm really excited about the HL forward arms to possibly fit 30's without a lift. Then again, I'm thinking I wouldn't mind the lift so I've noticed a couple of things. As Joey mentioned, the HL bracket lift changes the shock angles so the front and rear are very vertical. It essentially pushes the top mount out so its almost straight up and down. This will stiffen the suspension (The front needs it, not the rear) and will make it have less travel at the wheel (not sure how much less)...

Looking at the Strongmade lift, it looks like it leaves the shock angles. If anyghing, it almost looks like it moves the shock angle a bit more horizontal than stock. In my opinion, this would be ideal as you don't lose suspension travel and articulation. Have you been satisfied with the Strongmade?

I'm wondering how a mix of stongmade/HL would work. Strongmade in the rear (so you don't stiffen the stock suspension) and HL in the front with the arms (changes the shock angle and stiffens suspension). What are everyone's thoughts about this? Would it leave the front end higher than the rear? I guess I'm thinking into this too much!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!