Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
As some of you know, I'm a sound system geek. :rolleyes:
When installing high end stereos in auto's, it's prudent to use sound matting, like Dynamat, in the doors and trunk areas. It's a type of self adhesive sound/heat insulation that has a foil face and is like a sticky clay underneath, molds and shapes into corners and crevices. Reduces road noise, rattles and vibrations, resonances in audio terms.
I have an 8" tube sub woofer mounted in the toolbox, which is creating all kinds of resonances. Real deep bass songs like Eminem or Sublime will rattle the hell out of the lid and you have to turn it way down to even listen to it. So, seeing as turning it way down isn't an option...to use "Dynamat" in this box would cost about $200. Oh hell no! Did some digging and found this stuff. Duct wrap, $40 for two rolls at HD. Probably not as good but same crap really. Figured it's worth a try.
Dynamat We'll see how it turns out and if it makes that much of a difference...might just have to torture you with another video.:D

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Is that stuff for AC ducts (leaks)?

No, not for AC leaks. That would be your "lineset" which has Freon in it. That would have to be dealt with the right way. This stuff is for wrapping the heat ducts as an insulator and sound deadening.
Yeah, I saw that stuff too JTW. Would probably work better but costs more and you are supposed to buy their roller for the application. It also comes in smaller sheets, which would help in the installation, but then you're supposed to tape the joints with their tape. More money yet. How did that stuff work? Did it achieve what you hoped it would?
I wouldn't use this stuff in my truck or anything but for a sxs that is pretty much wide open anyway...just want to tame the rattles a bit.

Last edited:
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As some of you know, I'm a sound system geek. :rolleyes:
When installing high end stereos in auto's, it's prudent to use sound matting, like Dynamat, in the doors and trunk areas. It's a type of self adhesive sound/heat insulation that has a foil face and is like a sticky clay underneath, molds and shapes into corners and crevices. Reduces road noise, rattles and vibrations, resonances in audio terms.
I have an 8" tube sub woofer mounted in the toolbox, which is creating all kinds of resonances. Real deep bass songs like Eminem or Sublime will rattle the hell out of the lid and you have to turn it way down to even listen to it. So, seeing as turning it way down isn't an option...to use "Dynamat" in this box would cost about $200. Oh hell no! Did some digging and found this stuff. Duct wrap, $40 for two rolls at HD. Probably not as good but same crap really. Figured it's worth a try.
View attachment 36944 We'll see how it turns out and if it makes that much of a difference...might just have to torture you with another video.:D
I wish the guy at the gas pump next to me the other day had sound dampening material. It sounded like the latch on the trunk of his Chevy caprice was loose and someone through a hand full of quarters in it when the bass hit. He left it turned up while he went in to pay (or prepay) for his $5 worth of gas. Lol

J

JTW

No, not for AC leaks. That would be your "lineset" which has Freon in it. That would have to be dealt with the right way. This stuff is for wrapping the heat ducts as an insulator and sound deadening.
Yeah, I saw that stuff too JTW. Would probably work better but costs more and you are supposed to buy their roller for the application. It also comes in smaller sheets, which would help in the installation, but then you're supposed to tape the joints with their tape. More money yet. How did that stuff work? Did it achieve what you hoped it would?
I wouldn't use this stuff in my truck or anything but for a sxs that is pretty much wide open anyway...just want to tame the rattles a bit.
I bought a cheap $10 roller but could have gotten by without it. There's no need to tape seams. It sticks well and I have quite a bit left over. I think it is going to be great for my purposes. It's heavier than you'd expect though. The sheets are around 30" square, so you get good coverage

Reactions: trigger and sharp
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I wish the guy at the gas pump next to me the other day had sound dampening material. It sounded like the latch on the trunk of his Chevy caprice was loose and someone through a hand full of quarters in it when the bass hit. He left it turned up while he went in to pay (or prepay) for his $5 worth of gas. Lol

Now that's some funny sh** right there...but annoying as hell when you're the one there to hear it. What most of those idiots like to hear is a constant rumble, no one bass note discernible from another. Sounds terrible and they meant it. :rolleyes:
I, on the other hand, am putting more money and time into a damn toolbox than should be allowed. Who would have figured that this many alterations and materials would go into this thing when I pulled it off the shelf at TS like 4 yrs ago? Unbelievable. o_O
Finished up the wrap today, taped off all the seams, might as well, I had all the crap taken out of it anyway.
Got it put back together and fired it up just to make sure everything was working, haven't sound tested yet. That'll be tomorrow. :DToolbox wrappedWrapped toolbox Toolbox full

J

JTW

Now that's some funny sh** right there...but annoying as hell when you're the one there to hear it. What most of those idiots like to hear is a constant rumble, no one bass note discernible from another. Sounds terrible and they meant it. :rolleyes:
I, on the other hand, am putting more money and time into a damn toolbox than should be allowed. Who would have figured that this many alterations and materials would go into this thing when I pulled it off the shelf at TS like 4 yrs ago? Unbelievable. o_O
Finished up the wrap today, taped off all the seams, might as well, I had all the crap taken out of it anyway.
Got it put back together and fired it up just to make sure everything was working, haven't sound tested yet. That'll be tomorrow. :DView attachment 36978View attachment 36979 View attachment 36980
Lol.. looks good! It's amazing some of the s*** we bring upon ourselves!!

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lol.. looks good! It's amazing some of the s*** we bring upon ourselves!!
Thats the most logical thing you posted in weeks! Im proud of you buddy.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
advertisement
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your a treky?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well, got her put back together and tuned up. I think the matting definitely helped with the rattles. It's not a million dollar sound but, realistically, it is a UTV. :rolleyes:
Made a video for you guys, nothing staged, no edit, just winged it. So no b******g. o_O
First part of it was at low volume for quality, sounded great in the machine but noticed in the video that the sound from the mic is fluctuating.
Second part of it was what this system was built for, a guilty pleasure. :D

Last edited:
T

timholmesjr

Jan 28, 2017
Birmingham AL
Ownership

1. 500
I'm sure this is covered in another thread, so can you point me toward the info on your audio setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!