Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sorry to hear this. I know it sucks. But Honda will get it fixed. Problem will be if you want to wait and are ok with the solution.
Honda will not approve welding it. they will want to replace it. And by "it", we may be talking the entire frame and not just the front 1/3.
Honestly, many of us would fix it ourselves.
- No trouble of frame swap.
- And you can oversee it done CORRECTLY!

There is a good handful that have done it with there 700's.
What do you mean, you don't currently own a big Red?

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It sucks to have this problem and it shouldn't have escaped QC. Other than the time waiting, why wouldn't you want a new frame? I agree with some others that Honda isn't going to sign off on someone else welding on it, to much liability there. Honestly I can't see why the front section of the frame can't be replaced and not have to replace the rest.

BTW, I don't see Honda replacing the entire machine for this issue.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CopenHagen

CopenHagen

Aug 1, 2016
Southeastern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wasn't aware the frame was multi section,,I just don't want a brand new bike that has been completely dismantled and then put back together if just the front clip can be changed and engine can be all left alone would be wonderfully

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I wasn't aware the frame was multi section,,I just don't want a brand new bike that has been completely dismantled and then put back together if just the front clip can be changed and engine can be all left alone would be wonderfully
The frame bolts together under the front floorboard. To the right of #22 in the black area.
Hm1215003020

CopenHagen

CopenHagen

Aug 1, 2016
Southeastern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stop by dealer today at lunch they finally got ahold of honda and I guess want more pictures than the 5 my dealer allready sent them. I talked to shop supervisor about maybe just changing to front part of frame as described to me on here and he says even though blueprint shows frame coming apart by front of cab .there's no separate part numbers and the frame still comes as one peice . He still wants to just weld it but hasn't got OK from them so still waiting on verdict

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you haven't personally called Honda tech, you might want to. The dealer should have the case number. If you don't want your dealer to know you are calling, Honda will also be able to locate the case by VIN. Even if there isn't a part number Honda should be able to provide just that section. I guess since it's only been a couple of days you could give them more time to make a determination.

Here's the info...

866) 784-1870 toll free

Monday through Friday

8:30 AM to 4:30 PM Pacific

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought about posting this earlier but looking at the frame I thought there would be front section, but looking at it and with the info above it is still one complete unit. I would be a little nervous without a new frame, because I would be curious what other spots the "robot" missed. I know it sucks and would still be nervous about them putting it together right, but I would still wonder about those other welds. If you feel confident in the rest of the machine, maybe they could get the complete frame and then just install front section from it. I feel for you and wish you luck.

Reactions: AKRider
CopenHagen

CopenHagen

Aug 1, 2016
Southeastern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dang I've been busy and forgot about this old post , recap of what happened is dealer got go ahead from honda to bend bracket back in place weld it back and touch up paint they did great job can't even tell anything was ever wrong . Just had the inconvenience of no bike for a week and half till honda made up there mind how to move forward

advertisement
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad to hear that they got you taken care of

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

R

robharman01

Feb 2, 2020
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2019 and just had the same issue. I ran over a small snow pile at low speed and immediately noticed that the steering started pulling hard to the left. Come to find out the upper a-arm frame bracket was only welded at the top. The bottom portion of the bracket had a weld bead on the bracket but had zero penetration into the frame. By not being welded the impact caused the bracket to bend up knocking the a-arm out of position ( see pictures).

This should be an eye opener for Honda assuming they read these posts. This is a BAD WELD on a STEERING component...Its happened more than once over multiple model years on a safety critical system. I don’t know about you folks but I’ve never heard of a bad steering system weld on any car, truck, atv, utv, etc. ever and I’m old.

I guess the good news is I just bent it back into position and welded it myself. It took about 10 minutes to fix.
72375AAE C96E 4CB4 99C0 D9560C2330F9
0C548D0F 97C6 444D 940E E5D8C0284490

D

DDDonkey

I built a front upper a-arm brace that you could build pretty easily. It is 2 pieces of 1/8” flat stock welded together and bolted to the front bumper mounts and the a-arm mount and the a gusset connecting them together. Just a thought....

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!