P500 Mountian Riding and Rollovers

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
I owned a 2001 Foreman and 2001 Rancher. I just sold both and bought a Pioneer 700-4. Other than oil changes and a couple of $50 parts I never had to do anything to the Foreman or Rancher. Honda's are bullet proof and I am riding a 700-4 because of past history. I don't need no stinking belt to slip and break on a ride!!

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Actually these dealers carry multiple brands of UTV's and have them lined up in rows to pick from. I suspect it has something to do with keeping the service department busy year around. One actually stated to me how the Honda's aren't built like they used to be,,,blah,blah,blah. I will believe it when I personally have seen it, my three wheelers, ranchers, foremans have been bullet proof going on 20 years I have owned them.
When I was shopping I was deciding between the RZR 570 trail EPS or the P5, I stopped at a dealer who had both in stock the Honda was 8,999 and the RZR was about 12,000 (I cant remember exactly) When I told the salesman I liked them both but that was a big price difference he told me they had way more room to negotiate on the RZR and that he could get that price down a lot more on a RZR than a P5. I had a friend buy a P7 a couple weeks ago from a different dealer. They had Rangers and the P7 in stock and were pushing him toward the Ranger. I think the profit margins are probably not as good on the Hondas as the other brands and this is why they are pushing the others. I also think that these multi line dealers may sell just enough of the Hondas to keep the brand and prevent another dealer from opening in their territory.

I went for a ride last week with 11 different SXS and 4 wheelers, here is how the 200 mile ride worked out.

1. Kawasaki brute force with some kind of a belt light coming on so it was parked because the driver was scared it would break.
2. brand new 570 sportsman over heating because of a plugged radiator. (he didn't go through any mud holes that the rest of the group didn't hit)
3. Polaris 570 Ranger and Polaris 850 sportsman with power steering glitches ( both are less than 300 miles)
4. the only machine that had to be pulled because of being stuck was an outlander.

I have been on a Honda since 1987 and have ridden with groups riding all makes. I cant remember ever working on a Honda on the trail but I can remember working on lots of other brands.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
When I was shopping I was deciding between the RZR 570 trail EPS or the P5, I stopped at a dealer who had both in stock the Honda was 8,999 and the RZR was about 12,000 (I cant remember exactly) When I told the salesman I liked them both but that was a big price difference he told me they had way more room to negotiate on the RZR and that he could get that price down a lot more on a RZR than a P5. I had a friend buy a P7 a couple weeks ago from a different dealer. They had Rangers and the P7 in stock and were pushing him toward the Ranger. I think the profit margins are probably not as good on the Hondas as the other brands and this is why they are pushing the others. I also think that these multi line dealers may sell just enough of the Hondas to keep the brand and prevent another dealer from opening in their territory.

I went for a ride last week with 11 different SXS and 4 wheelers, here is how the 200 mile ride worked out.

1. Kawasaki brute force with some kind of a belt light coming on so it was parked because the driver was scared it would break.
2. brand new 570 sportsman over heating because of a plugged radiator. (he didn't go through any mud holes that the rest of the group didn't hit)
3. Polaris 570 Ranger and Polaris 850 sportsman with power steering glitches ( both are less than 300 miles)
4. the only machine that had to be pulled because of being stuck was an outlander.

I have been on a Honda since 1987 and have ridden with groups riding all makes. I cant remember ever working on a Honda on the trail but I can remember working on lots of other brands.

I noticed......back when...a dealer was loyal...to
his brand.Now days...they sell all brands..wats on
the showroom floor....is wat sells.
Loyalty. ..only to the all mighty Dollar....

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
4 corners area....
Any Honda....is the least
sold...in this area....
according to 3 dealers in
my area...Hell the Harley Davidson
store...sell more UTV's....than Bikes..
cause that's wat sells...
8 out of 10...buyers...ride away
..on a sporty model...

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am on the fence about purchasing the P500. Can anyone who rides in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado,Wyoming or Montana tell me the cons to this machine on normal forest service trails/roads other than the speed. I don't usually go to quickly when hunting due to the frost bite factor. I have a fear of doing a rollover all the way to bottom and not being able to bail. I usually spend a couple weeks a year in those mountains on my old Foreman. I do have a few roads with side hills, steep inclines that are a bit hairy, I wonder if my chances of tipping would be drastically increased. Some of the riding is at very high elevations in central Colorado, anyone care to comment on experiences on their personal experiences vs the wheeler in the environments? Thanks, hope to get off the fence quickly.

Location - Montana
machine - P500
- can ride any trail and shortcuts via 50" restricted trails, our gates in MT about 55" wide , so I went with aftermarket wheels and wider tires, so now my actual width is 53"
- I took off anti sway bar and feel that have more stability and comfort
- if you ever roll P500, you can roll it back on your own.
- very good turning radius , so no problem to turn around on logging trails.
- good machine to add aftermarket DIY over the wheel track system (I came up with m own), so far was able to get to 20 mph in muddy puddle , will see this winter how fast it goes in snow.
- get aftermarket shocks and its perfect ( for my needs )

Nascar

Nascar

Feb 20, 2017
Cariboo, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
NitroxDriver got it right. The margin on the Honda’s are a lot less then the other brands. My cousin used to work for a power sport dealer and told me this. That’s why the sales guys will try putting you into one of the other brands. It’s all about money !!!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
When riding on steep downhills, The P500 engine braking is great, rarely use the brakes. Hard to beat a geared transmission...and I also own 2 older Polaris ATVs with belt drives as a comparison, and maybe the newer Polaris and others EBS is improved but maybe someone else has input. Also like the easy car style hand emergency brake feature on the P500. P500 may not be the most sporty or fastest, but it fits my riding needs.

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Something I've noticed on CL a lot is many other brands for sale especially Polaris. Very few Hondas.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Something I've noticed on CL a lot is many other brands for sale especially Polaris. Very few Hondas.
True...
when 1000...PoPo's...are sold
to 10 Hondas...your gonna see that....

advertisement
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The others have been out for 10-15 years...
I still notice it when looking at ATV's alone, but you do have a point on the SXS side.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JTW
Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I don't ride the rockies but I ride lots of steep trails in wv. My wheels and tires are stock and I have no trouble with stability. If you ride open areas the machine will cruise at 25 to 30 mph without feeing like your over revving it. Having the engine braking keeps it under control when going down the steep hills. I think the most likely place to tip is in ruts (And that goes for 60" machines too). I was at first a little concerned about stability at first especially when carrying my elderly father but after a few miles im not concerned.
I ride in West Virginia also. No rollovers yet.

B

Blackdawg

Nov 23, 2016
Kentucky Lake, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Just returned from 10 day elk trip in Wyoming. The P500 Rocked!!!!!! The amount of stuff it would do even impressed the other guys in camp. I realized that I have made a great choice after this trip. Climbed/pulled/ snow/mud/ sips gas, handles Tight trails. I honestly believe this is the most capable versatile little sxs out there and without a question the most bang for buck
IMG 1758
IMG 1760
IMG 0835

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Just returned from 10 day elk trip in Wyoming. The P500 Rocked!!!!!! The amount of stuff it would do even impressed the other guys in camp. I realized that I have made a great choice after this trip. Climbed/pulled/ snow/mud/ sips gas, handles Tight trails. I honestly believe this is the most capable versatile little sxs out there and without a question the most bang for buck View attachment 54580View attachment 54581View attachment 54582

Ya, I totally agree that in tight, steep trails, the P500 is really, really good. I recently went on a group ride following several of the big machines in some tight trails, in WV, with very deep ruts, steep climbs and descents, etc., and could have driven circles around them, but that's the only place the P500 will shine (performance-wise) against bigger machines. As far as dependability, and durability, I'm still very confident that it can't be beaten. So far, 1200 miles, and 1 year of straight up abuse, it's truly been the Honda of side by sides. I see you've upgraded the tires- great pics by the way- don't know if you added spacers, but like Soirus says, upgrading the suspension will, regardless of the suspension choice, increase it's capabilities to a surprising degree, and when the auto-locker for the front diff. is added (available soon) the only thing that will stop it is the power limit- I think it's the lowest of any machine in the 50" class. I think you've got the best machine for what you're doing, by a large margin compared to anything else available at this point.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
B

Blackdawg

Nov 23, 2016
Kentucky Lake, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
The spacers are a serious thought,but I would definitely need some type of fender flare to be added. Priority one is to keep my hunting gear in top notch condition. Mud covered gear is not cool! If I was joy riding perhaps more upgrades would be nice, but for my uses as a yard chore tool, hunting/fishing transportation vehicle I cant really justify spending much more on it. It took a heck of a beating in 7 days. I can see where a skid plate would be a good addition. I lost a bunch of plastic rivets from sticks/logs kicking up. I was really amazed how 90% of time I could conquer the majority of rough terrain in 2wd. Only a few places really needed 4wd. The way it sipped gas was amazing also. I took a 28 mile, 2 hours of driving time scouting trip to a new area one afternoon. Through the mountains, mud, etc. burned less than a 1.5 gallons of gas.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JWB
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
The spacers are a serious thought,but I would definitely need some type of fender flare to be added. Priority one is to keep my hunting gear in top notch condition. Mud covered gear is not cool! If I was joy riding perhaps more upgrades would be nice, but for my uses as a yard chore tool, hunting/fishing transportation vehicle I cant really justify spending much more on it. It took a heck of a beating in 7 days. I can see where a skid plate would be a good addition. I lost a bunch of plastic rivets from sticks/logs kicking up. I was really amazed how 90% of time I could conquer the majority of rough terrain in 2wd. Only a few places really needed 4wd. The way it sipped gas was amazing also. I took a 28 mile, 2 hours of driving time scouting trip to a new area one afternoon. Through the mountains, mud, etc. burned less than a 1.5 gallons of gas.

I hear you on the gear thing! My wheel/tire package is wider than stock, and definitely throws mud everywhere. I totally forgot about skid plates- I made my own out of aluminum. The stock ones don't deserve the name- more like dust covers.... I got lifted by a branch kicking up under the seat- cuz there's nothing between you and the ground except the seat- that's what inspired the skids. Get, or make, full width skid plates, no matter what you use the machine for.
DSCN0094
Definitely a safety concern. My skids have saved my a**, and machine from damage countless times. The gas thing- amazing isn't it? I know mine is capable of 30 m.p.g. if driven gently and no load. Even when chasing the big machines in the mountains- pretty much full throttle all day, I usually burn a little over 3 gallons for the whole day. Here's a couple pics of skids. View is from rear. The lower pic is one of the 'in progress' pic's. I made it wrap up behind the driver to keep crap from being thrown in by the tire. Wrapped up in front of feet too.
Mid plate close view

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
@JWB,

Nice skidder!!! How thick did you go on that? The LLeft side wrap up is killer. I'm gonna make me one too. Mind if I copy your wrap idea?

Thanks,

WB

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!