Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I am working on a sway bar quick disconnet system for the Hondas. Can i get info from a couple members with 500's and 1k's, i have a 700-4. I want to try to come up with a easy way to disconnect and the reconnect the sway bar. I need the bolt size and center to center measurements. Pictures would be gret if possible.

Thanks ,Mike

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Why reconnect it? Especially on the P700. I can see the need to reconnect it on the P1000 because of the speed.

I'd be interested in some quick links for the P1000. Too bad I'm not at home to get some measurements.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I am working on a sway bar quick disconnet system for the Hondas. Can i get info from a couple members with 500's and 1k's, i have a 700-4. I want to try to come up with a easy way to disconnect and the reconnect the sway bar. I need the bolt size and center to center measurements. Pictures would be gret if possible.

Thanks ,Mike
I thought about it on mine. The links are real short and not much room to get the sway bar out of the way. Pretty sure it's a tapered bolt like a ball joint or tie rod. I removed mine when I upgraded shocks and really didn't notice much more body roll. 1000 model.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Why reconnect it? Especially on the P700. I can see the need to reconnect it on the P1000 because of the speed.

I'd be interested in some quick links for the P1000. Too bad I'm not at home to get some measurements.
@joeymt33 I'm just thinking about having an easy and quick way to have the best of both worlds.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@joeymt33 I'm just thinking about having an easy and quick way to have the best of both worlds.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I think you should cut the sway bar in the middle. Spline both sides and make a sliding coupler to join them together. You can pin the coupler in position when you want to use the sway bar or slide the coupler to one side to disconnect it.

That should be something you ought to be able to get done in an afternoon.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never really had a true offroad machine so I don't have any expertise in this, but you might be able to take the nut off on the one side and drill a hole to put a pin in. Link below. Joeymt33 ideas of cutting in the middle and putting a sleeve sounds like a good idea too. I don't know if you would need to spline it. You might be able to drill 2 holes through it, with 1 on either side of you cut to pin it back together. It looks like replacement ends run about $12 so if something doesn't work, it isn't going to cost a lot to fix it.
Homemade Sway Bar Quick Disconnect

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Love Joey's idea. That way you can just leave the 2 halves on the machine. Cause it's kinda a b*tch to get it out of the machine. I'd like to make a much larger swaybar for street use. Plan on converting her to a class 1 registration so I'm not limited by slow speed limits. Larger bar would come in handy on those 55mph curvy country roads I have nearby.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Only thought about cutting and drilling the bar,is that is spring steel and it may cause a problem with its temper (elasticity) machining a spline would for sure change that.
I thought that i could try to disconnect at bottom and swing up and connectto a new position

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: ghost
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
If someone has one that can unbolt the bottom link on one side and zip tie to the bar and cycle the suspension and see if it hits the a arm anywhere. If it clears it would be a pretty simple mod. It did look pretty tight and I don't think you can take the links off and swing the bar past the a arm. I believe most bars are medium carbon solid or DOM steel like 1040. Most aftermarket is 4130 chromoly.

advertisement
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only thought about cutting and drilling the bar,is that is spring steel and it may cause a problem with its temper (elasticity) machining a spline would for sure change that.
I thought that i could try to disconnect at bottom and swing up and connectto a new position

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I wouldn't think the links are spring steel but I could be wrong. Let us know how your test goes. I would be curious if your Commander shocks are going to hit or not.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I tried to leave my sway bar in place but I couldn't find a good place to swing it up out of the way and tie it off.

Reactions: Tramguage1

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!