P500 New Glass Windshield on a plastic windsheild frame.

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I posted the below last week in another thread, thought I'd start a new one for this:

My Honda (hardcoated) windshield is almost 3 years old with lots of rough treatment. I've polished it out twice with novus 1, 2 and 3. It helps. I also put window tint on mine to cut the glare, that helped too. Mine is so scratched we there is no seeing out of it driving into the sun. You have to hang your head out the door to see. I finally got so tired of it I took it off and left it at my niece's auto glass shop a couple of days ago. She has her shop cutting out the middle of the windshield, leaving 3 or 4 inches around the edges and above and below the angle breaks of the windshield. She's replacing the middle with flat windshield "GLASS", using the old windshield for a frame. I told her to try it and not to worry if it doesn't work because I was going to junk to junk the old one anyway. She's bringing me the windshield tomorrow so I'll see how it turns out. I'm heading to deer camp Saturday afternoon and will report on the windshield the first of next week.

My Niece brought me my rebuilt windshield Saturday and I took off to deer camp that afternoon. Trailered the 500 80 miles each way and ran it hard Sunday and today. Hit lots of bumps and went through lots of brush and limbs. The Windshield glass is still glued in place and didn't move at all. The setup looks good. They cut out most of the old Honda Hardcoated Tipout windshield and cut the flat windshield glass an inch and a half wider all the way around and used black windshield glue to hold it in place. They did a very good job and I'm very pleased with it, mostly because I can see out my windshield again. If you have a plastic windshield that's so scratched up you're thinking of replacing it, this is a good alternative. I can't tell you the cost of getting this done, because my Niece wouldn't tell me the cost and wouldn't let me pay her.

IMG 35391 zpsilnrpai5

IMG 35381 zps0zfwjsuk

IMG 35371 zpsko8aximq

IMG 35361 zpsxat8nnhe

Last edited:
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I posted the below last week in another thread, thought I'd start a new one for this:

My Honda (hardcoated) windshield is almost 3 years old with lots of rough treatment. I've polished it out twice with novus 1, 2 and 3. It helps. I also put window tint on mine to cut the glare, that helped too. Mine is so scratched we there is no seeing out of it driving into the sun. You have to hang your head out the door to see. I finally got so tired of it I took it off and left it at my niece's auto glass shop a couple of days ago. She has her shop cutting out the middle of the windshield, leaving 3 or 4 inches around the edges and above and below the angle breaks of the windshield. She's replacing the middle with flat windshield "GLASS", using the old windshield for a frame. I told her to try it and not to worry if it doesn't work because I was going to junk to junk the old one anyway. She's bringing me the windshield tomorrow so I'll see how it turns out. I'm heading to deer camp Saturday afternoon and will report on the windshield the first of next week.

My Niece brought me my rebuilt windshield Saturday and I took off to deer camp that afternoon. Trailered the 500 80 miles each way and ran it hard Sunday and today. Hit lots of bumps and went through lots of brush and limbs. The Windshield glass is still glued in place and didn't move at all. The setup looks good. They cut out most of the old Honda Hardcoated Tipout windshield and cut the flat windshield glass an inch and a half wider all the way around and used black windshield glue to hold it in place. They did a very good job and I'm very pleased with it, mostly because I can see out my windshield again. If you have a plastic windshield that's so scratched up you're thinking of replacing it, this is a good alternative. I can't tell you the cost of getting this done, because my Niece wouldn't tell me the cost and wouldn't let me pay her.

View attachment 24432

View attachment 24433

View attachment 24434

View attachment 24435

Frugal guy....using wat
he already had.
Good Job

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
As an auto glass installer myself, I like the idea. I'm curious as to how well the bond will hold up though if it's just auto glass adhesive(urethane). Plastics can be tricky to get a good bond with, now regular old silicone on the plastic I think would possibly hold without question. Not trying to criticize or pick it apart, just wasn't sure the route they would take when i read about this idea. Hope it holds up well, cuz it's a good way to reuse the remnant of the junk piece.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
As an auto glass installer myself, I like the idea. I'm curious as to how well the bond will hold up though if it's just auto glass adhesive(urethane). Plastics can be tricky to get a good bond with, now regular old silicone on the plastic I think would possibly hold without question. Not trying to criticize or pick it apart, just wasn't sure the route they would take when i read about this idea. Hope it holds up well, cuz it's a good way to reuse the remnant of the junk piece.
Yeah, I was expecting it to have a rubber gasket grooved on both sides, thereby fitting flush with the plastic, with rounded corners.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Also, is it safe to assume they used laminated glass? Hard to tell from the pics but in case anyone else tries this on their own that's what actual windshields are made with so they don't break apart in your face if things hit them.

Reactions: SORGuy and Mudder
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Uncle Sam you'd better take her out to dinner . Looks like a nice job .

Reactions: rocmar
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, it's laminated auto glass. As far as just gluing it in, I told her to try and make it work without spending a bunch of time or money on it. I had her do this as an experiment to try and salvage something out of the old one ,before I threw it away. If it holds, its a good, fairly cheap fix. If it does move any we'll try something else. We talked about using a couple of hold down clamps on each side, besides the glue. Time will tell and I'll keep ya'll posted about it.

H

highpocks

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2016
prescott mi
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 24432

View attachment 24433

View attachment 24434

View attachment 24435
thats a an idea i well try when my windsheld goes to hell-o

advertisement
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
One way to skin the cat. :)

Not knowing the strength of auto glass I assume it can't hold up if it replaced the main front section, ie the hinge and bracket, then attach the plexi from the top and bottom to it. Maybe too much weight for the bracket, too.

My hardcoat Honda windshield has been holding up well, so far. Knock on wood. I have had crazy thoughts of a large screen protector to go over the plexi, and maybe slightly tinted. ;)

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another idea/question:

1. Can you cut same area glass and instead of gluing it, drill holes in each corner and bolt it to plastic with rubber seal between plastic and glass???

2. Now since you have glass windshield, can you install wiper kit???

Reactions: rocmar
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Another idea/question:

1. Can you cut same area glass and instead of gluing it, drill holes in each corner and bolt it to plastic with rubber seal between plastic and glass???

2. Now since you have glass windshield, can you install wiper kit???

I thought about drilling holes through the plastic just outside the windshield to bolt hold down clamps, like mounting a mirror on a wall, if the glue won't hold. And yes I'm looking at wiper options now

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Also, is it safe to assume they used laminated glass? Hard to tell from the pics but in case anyone else tries this on their own that's what actual windshields are made with so they don't break apart in your face if things hit them.
He stated it was
auto safety glass

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Lots of good ideas on ways of fixing an old scratched up windshield. I asked my niece to see if she could fix it while keeping it easy and cheap. I'm sure there are lots of ways to do this, some more complicated and/or costly than others. Some may work a lot better, some may not. I can't see a way to make it more simple or easy than what she did, only time will tell if it lasts. Right now it's so much better than it was, I'm loving it. The size of hole they cut out was the largest they could, while missing the top hinge bolts, leaving room to overlap the new piece of glass and keeping the cuts on the glass straight. Best I can tell cutting the laminate glass is best left to someone that's done it before. Anyway I hope this and all the other ideas will help out some of you folks in the same predicament I was in, owning an expensive, but useless, windshield on their UTV.

Reactions: SXSHP500CO
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Went to deer camp last Thursday morning and got home late Sunday afternoon. Ran dirt roads, fire lanes and timber company land. Lots of limbs slaps and brush busting. So far the glass hasn't moved at all and I can actually see out the windshield again.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
He stated it was
auto safety glass
Yes I saw that. Just trying to bring some extra clarity to the concept for those who don't know the difference in types of glass. You'd be amazed at the things I've seen people cob together in an effort to fix or replace damaged glass in my nearly 20 yrs in the industry. Plate glass,tempered glass, and laminated are all very different and some people just think glass is glass. Just don't want anyone to diy something and get hurt because of a simple misunderstanding of things.:)

RODNUT

RODNUT

May 16, 2015
Did the same thing using a tempered glass shelf from a store supply co. for $9 and $12 shipping. Used a silicon glue made especially for laminating plastics, with good results, hasn't moved or loosened for 4 months of hard rough travel. Has held up to rain and pressure washing, very pleased with the results. Nice to be able to ride without sun glare of the old scratched windshield. Recommend if your windshield is needing replacement.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Did the same thing using a tempered glass shelf from a store supply co. for $9 and $12 shipping. Used a silicon glue made especially for laminating plastics, with good results, hasn't moved or loosened for 4 months of hard rough travel. Has held up to rain and pressure washing, very pleased with the results. Nice to be able to ride without sun glare of the old scratched windshield. Recommend if your windshield is needing replacement.
In case you haven't done so already with your install I would recommend you cover the edges of the glass with the adhesive too. And possibly put some film on the inside too. Tempered is very strong, but very fragile at the same time. It's most susceptible to damage at the edges, and when it breaks it breaks into lots of little pieces, which tend to be rather explosive in nature upon breaking and could be dangerous if not wearing eye protection. Glad to hear that it's holding up for you though.:)

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Found the downside to glass windshield today, trailered the Pioneer about 70 miles down to camp today, to work on camp and do some riding and scouting. On the way home met an 18 wheeler in a curve on a 2 lane road and caught a rock in the windshield, not on the Pioneer, but on my 2016 Ford F-150. I'm 62 years old, been driving since I was 10 and this is the first windshield I've had taken out, except back in February when my 2013 was totaled in a head on crash. Windshield on the 500 is fine and still staying put, but now it's back to my niece's glass shop for an other windshield, this time on the truck.

advertisement