P1000 New owner - what do I need to look out for

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am sure this will be one of my many posts as I get myself acquainted with this machine but one thing I haven't been able to find is a list of what I need to watch out for.

I haven't really been able to find much out there as far as common (or possible) manufacturing defects, weak points on the machine that need protection or regular inspection,...

Is the missing weld on the front strut a real thing?

See a lot of videos about re-programing the transmission, what is that about?

What do I need to carry as far as spare parts? Only thing I can find there is potentially a tie rod end.

Also new to this big of a machine but as far as tires go, do I need a spare, or will a plug kit and a compressor get me home 99% of the time?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am sure this will be one of my many posts as I get myself acquainted with this machine but one thing I haven't been able to find is a list of what I need to watch out for.

I haven't really been able to find much out there as far as common (or possible) manufacturing defects, weak points on the machine that need protection or regular inspection,...

What do I need to carry as far as spare parts? Only thing I can find there is potentially a tie rod end.

Also new to this big of a machine but as far as tires go, do I need a spare, or will a plug kit and a compressor get me home 99% of the time?
1000 or 1000-5? Base, deluxe or LE?

EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Radiator hose camps, and the hose clamps on the engine!
Might check the bolts holding on the skid plate. Also.......My doors had to be adjusted.

Reactions: JenElio and CMB
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

If you haven't been Welcomed , WELCOME from NW Arkansas! Think you need to enjoy it for a while, then we and can talk about bed, door rattles and a few other minor annoyances, have fun , be safe.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Trees mostly... pretty much everything needs regular inspections as you ride and beat on it check things out, as far as what spare parts, I’d say mostly tie rods and ends and axles. As you ride and experience things you will develop a sense of what you need when you do a group ride with some of these guys that have been at this for a while you will quickly learn different things you need-and want. As far as the spare goes, some guys carry a spare, some have plugs and sidewall slugs, some do all three, it all boils down to how much room you have and how much weight you want to carry. Like @Smitty335 ride for awhile you will figure it out. And welcome from the mountains of WNC.👍

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2nd on the Wallet LOL, but only if you stick around here :p if don't get on here much you'll likely never need a thing but new tires when you wear out the ones you have now.

Welcome from AZ!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Trees mostly... pretty much everything needs regular inspections as you ride and beat on it check things out, as far as what spare parts, I’d say mostly tie rods and ends and axles. As you ride and experience things you will develop a sense of what you need when you do a group ride with some of these guys that have been at this for a while you will quickly learn different things you need-and want. As far as the spare goes, some guys carry a spare, some have plugs and sidewall slugs, some do all three, it all boils down to how much room you have and how much weight you want to carry. Like @Smitty335 ride for awhile you will figure it out. And welcome from the mountains of WNC.👍
Good advice from @Ridinfool ! Have safe fun!

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1000 or 1000-5? Base, deluxe or LE?

Deluxe

What terrain causes the most axle breaks? I would suspect mud holes and aggressive rock riding but I've yet to break an axle on any machine. I tend to fineness them through the rocks and not a lot of mud holes in Colorado.

I can absolutely see bending a tie rid. Are guys going with a heavy duty tie rod replacement or save the steering box and run stock? What is the best place to buy a stock tie rod?

As far as the wallet goes, I've already made my peace with that. Been looking at getting one for years and have the accessory list pretty well planned but that is a topic for another thread.

Reactions: TripleB and Isaiah
advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Deluxe

What terrain causes the most axle breaks? I would suspect mud holes and aggressive rock riding but I've yet to break an axle on any machine. I tend to fineness them through the rocks and not a lot of mud holes in Colorado.

I can absolutely see bending a tie rid. Are guys going with a heavy duty tie rod replacement or save the steering box and run stock? What is the best place to buy a stock tie rod?

As far as the wallet goes, I've already made my peace with that. Been looking at getting one for years and have the accessory list pretty well planned but that is a topic for another thread.
I go the stock tie rod route, bent two, out a little under $ 50.00

Reactions: TripleB
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think a 1/2" skid assembly will serve you well since you'll be riding in the ROCKY Mountains; the stock skid isn't much more than a dust cover. But the high country won't start opening for another 8-10 weeks so there's no rush for you.

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Deluxe

trust me if you ride you will break axles and bent tie rods i went through two axles on my rubicon one tie rod and two axle on the pioneer last year

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What about lube? One every dirtbike I have ever bought first thing out of the chute is take it apart and put more than the factory allotment of 0.05cc on a bearing. Haven't even gone looking for zerk fittings yet.

Reactions: TripleB
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What about lube? One every dirtbike I have ever bought first thing out of the chute is take it apart and put more than the factory allotment of 0.05cc on a bearing. Haven't even gone looking for zerk fittings yet.
I agree on the bearing grease. Ow my, you came from the dirt bike world? I can see A-arms, shocks and new wheels and tires. HA!

• Haha
Reactions: Isaiah
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Deluxe

Ronayers.com for any OEM parts. They discount most honda parts over 20%. Spend $99 and its free shipping and no tax unless u live in North Carolina.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Almost guaranteed that your machine's front end is severely out of alignment. Usually with a pretty severe toe-out. It'll ruin your front tires pretty quickly if not corrected.

Reactions: TripleB and Isaiah
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!