P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I finally got my front springs on this week. I think 250 lbs might turn out to be a bit light for my taste. So far, I feel like the front end is a bit "thunky" - it seems noisier, like it's under duress all the time, where the progressive springs seemed more comfortable with the terrain.

I turned my fox clickers up to medium (from soft) which helped a little. I'll run them for a while and see what I think. It's hard to really compare between these things. It'd be great if you could switch back and forth immediately to test.

The worst thing about the install is that the shocks were an inch longer than their mounts once reassembled. I had to use my spring compressor to clamp it up some, then I had to hand push the shock against the hydraulics, then put it in place and quickly get the bottom bolt through before the piston pushed it back too long. Major PITA.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I finally got my front springs on this week. I think 250 lbs might turn out to be a bit light for my taste. So far, I feel like the front end is a bit "thunky" - it seems noisier, like it's under duress all the time, where the progressive springs seemed more comfortable with the terrain.

I turned my fox clickers up to medium (from soft) which helped a little. I'll run them for a while and see what I think. It's hard to really compare between these things. It'd be great if you could switch back and forth immediately to test.

The worst thing about the install is that the shocks were an inch longer than their mounts once reassembled. I had to use my spring compressor to clamp it up some, then I had to hand push the shock against the hydraulics, then put it in place and quickly get the bottom bolt through before the piston pushed it back too long. Major PITA.

View attachment 298959
Do you have a picture of the spring installed on the shock? How much preload do you have?

Reactions: Lady01
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 298959
Interesting, with the SATV arms there wasn’t any issue bolting them back on, wonder if the shock mount on your arms is a different location then the stock arms which I believe the SATV is the same as stock.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

View attachment 298959
If you can't swing the arm down low enough to put the shock bolt in, you have probably maxed the CV angle or Tie Rod. Might want to look into what's binding. Think the TTC arms have a built in lift by moving the shock mounts. Probably will want limit straps if its bind that limits droop instead of the shock.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good point. They came out fine from the old TTC arms (I had to put in new TTC arms here) so I was a bit puzzled why they didn't go back in as easily. I don't think there's anything different about these arms.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Here is why I immediately became interested in going to single rate springs after installing the QS-3 shocks on my Pioneer 1000-5:

With coil-over shocks, you can adjust your preload. Preloading allows you to dial in your spring to optimize ride quality, and it also allows you to change the ride height of the vehicle.

Prior to installing my QS-3's, my machine had a bracket lift, stock shocks, and forward a-arms. I removed the bracket lift and put in 3" arched and extended a-arms (You can read all about that here.) With the QS-3 shocks, I actually lost ground clearance in the rear compared to the previous setup with my initial preload settings. I did eventually preload them even further to recover some rear clearance (more on that later) but this is the result:

View attachment 295469

See the top of the shock, how the coils are completely collapsed? That's the entire 185 lb range of my progressive spring, rendered useless. I'm essentially riding on a 350 lb spring that's shorter than it needs to be because it's got 2-3" of solid surface above it.
My rear shocks look almost exactly like this

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Just installed #250 springs on the front and #300 on the rear. Doing an overland in a few weeks. Lets see how it goes.
If you lift the wheels of the ground and remove the bottom shock bolt ,you can just twist the lower eyelet and adjust preload quickly. Then snug up the locking nut. WAY easier than a spanner wrench!
Tramguage1:
How did the 250# front / 300# rear combination work out? How much weight were you carrying on the overland trip?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For those of you with a 1000-3, I found the Fox spring specs again in @GlockMeister's thread, posted by @Ragnar406. Adding it here (along with the 1000-5 specs again) for reference:

@Cuoutdoors was able to find the spring ID on his 1000-3 LE with Fox shocks
Front = 12.5" length, 2.50 diameter, 225#
Rear = 15.25" length, 3.0 diameter, progressive 171/300#

1000-5 fox shocks (for reference)
Front = 14.5" length 2.5 diameter, progressive 252/350#
Rear = 15.5" Length 3.0 diameter, progressive 187/350#

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Tramguage1:
How did the 250# front / 300# rear combination work out? How much weight were you carrying on the overland trip?
Ended not able to go on the Overland,{contracted Covid}}but I have been using the machine around the property. I have had my 40 gal sprayed in the rear a lot over the last couple months. It handles that much better, I have nearly no squat in the rear with a lot more room to add more preload. I feel it was well worth the money i spent on the springs.

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
For those of you with a 1000-3, I found the Fox spring specs again in @GlockMeister's thread, posted by @Ragnar406. Adding it here (along with the 1000-5 specs again) for reference:
Same guys that helped me with mine right after they did theres. I have exactly the same. Made a difference. at the time my side door storage was full of tools and a V1 rack with fuel and 30” tire (still have) and a cooler. I hardly have anything in the doors any longer. But i do hove pack outs in the bed. @Tramguage1 drove mine with that set up Before he changed his over

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Based on the responses, I am going with the 250# front / 300# rear setup. Thanks!
Think you will be pleased, you can always adjust the preload and that should stiffen it up if needed.
I feel that if you want to have great trail ride and great utility use, you shoild have differnt springs for eash use.
If you invest in a good spring compresser yoj can swap springs in 5 minutes or less per shock.

Reactions: Lady01 and Prntckt
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m running the same weight springs as you only in black. I’m also swapping tire size from 28 to 30 so I’ve got a lot going on that I need to sort out but I’ll report back once I get it dialed.
Where did you find the black springs?

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is everyone buying their springs from summit? I'm trying to find black ones. I found the right size for the front but can't find any black ones that are 3" ID for the rear. All I can find is silver

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can run 2” on the rear if you remove the inner guards. I couldn’t find black 3” springs at a decent price.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can run 2” on the rear if you remove the inner guards. I couldn’t find black 3” springs at a decent price.
Yea I read where I could remove those but wasn't sure if I wanted to do that

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is everyone buying their springs from summit? I'm trying to find black ones. I found the right size for the front but can't find any black ones that are 3" ID for the rear. All I can find is silver
Why not go silver on all 4.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!