P1000 New vs Used

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The advice to look at a Yamaha Wolverine is actually really good advice. A year ago I was in the market for a new SXS after getting rid of one that I couldn't stand to drive anymore. It was a 1000cc machine with lots of options. Definitely not a basic machine. I couldn't stand the engine heat and noisy engine and drive train. I looked really seriously at the Talon and P1000. And... I am a Honda guy too.. I have a few Honda ATVs and several motorcycles that I use and love. I also wanted to stay away from the CVT. When looking at the Talon and P1000 I liked them but had to be honest with myself. The noise and heat were only marginally better than the SXS I had just sold. I also looked at the fitment and finish of the cab area and saw lots of holes were dust can come in. I drove a friends Yamaha Wolverine and decided to take a closer look at it. The fit and finish of the cab area is top notch and the noise and heat are relatively non existent. I can have a normal conversation with my riders and enjoy the trip. I ended up buying one and have loved it ever since. It is a comfortable and very capable machine. I use it a lot and my family loves it too. It gets used WAAAY more than the previous one did. The Wolverine engine is an 850cc but I have never felt that I needed more.
The new rmax is 1000. The wolverines are sweet. When I made my decision the Wolverine had only the 850 option. Now with the 1000 I would probably take a harder look at it over the pioneer. I like the DCT, but there are many advantages of CVT when using for sport. You are always in a powerband on a CVT. Yamaha is the only CVT I would even consider because they use the wet system.

My pioneer makes me crazy happy tho. I smile just checking the mail with it.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My nei.ghbor has a new '21 Wolverine 1000, I have a new Pioneer 1000-5 SE. His interior is far more refined than the Honda, it has bigger tires, a little more ground clearance, and has a higher top end (not that that matters). It also has less engine braking, and is noisier (IMO, didn't measure it with a sound meter, so that's subjective). So far, I much prefer the Honda's drive train. The utilitarian interior of the Honda is just fine too. I wouldn't trade him.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I recently did exactly what you described and purchased a 2017 with about 3200 miles and probably 3-4K in accessories. I had the same question about the miles and luckily have a friend that is a mechanic at our local honda dealer. He told me that 3200 miles is low and he has heard of machines with 30-40k miles on them. Maybe someone on here could chime in and conform if this is true?
My friend had over 25000 on his and has beat it to death. I think he had 5k on tracks loaded down very heavy which is extremely hard on a machine. He’s on original plugs, third air filter, changes oil at 5-6000 and on stock clutches. Has skidded big logs, pulled trucks, pulled trailers full of building supplies boats enclosed trailers, hunts bear moose and everything, constantly is in water over the dash,
. Not exactly the easy paved road type that does everything right including maintenance.
It’s not been without wheel bearings and a few axles, also done bushings a few times but still, running gear has been excellent. And it just keeps going.
Nearly everyone in his area of the woods he lives has switched to Honda after seeing that rig, including a few die hard Polaris guys lol.
For those worried about miles on a Pioneer, don’t be.
this was him just last weekend coming out of a 4ft deep pond with his whole family along for the ride. Just saying…
23063E27 D920 441D A76A 7F8525E851B2

Last edited:
Angarlo

Angarlo

Apr 28, 2019
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is exactly what I did. Bought a couple year old machine that someone had already installed the ( approximately $4k) upgrades I was wanting, for less than a new machine, and I could get it right away! Made it easier to justify extra addons. Did a test drive, a thorough visual inspection, checked fluids. Everything sounded and felt good. Its been running great for 3 years now!

RepsolRup

RepsolRup

Mar 23, 2020
Ofallon, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So after putting down a deposit in May for a 1000-5 that was supposed to be delivered at the end of July I was just told the “newest” delivery list says mid-October. Disappointed of course, but not surprised. So am now checking out the used market. The prices are certainly not cheap but it seems that I can get a slightly used (2018 deluxe w/3000mi’s) that has most of the upgrades i’m looking for (probably ~4K worth) for slightly less than I was going to spend for a base model with no upgrades. It seems like a pretty good way to go, but my question to the knowledgeable masses is this: Is 3,000 miles relatively “low” for Pioneers? And what are some things I should ask and/or check on a used vehicle before buying? Any insights are welcome. Thanks.
A local dealer to me mentioned a week ago Honda I’d backed up some awaiting steering wheels. They don’t have any available to finish the units. Just have patience with these times. New is usually not disappointing. I love my 18 1000-5 deluxe. Luckily I bought it left over in September of 2019 before the the chaos we are dealing with now. Good luck!

Reactions: 05Willys
RepsolRup

RepsolRup

Mar 23, 2020
Ofallon, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A local dealer to me mentioned a week ago Honda I’d backed up some awaiting steering wheels. They don’t have any available to finish the units. Just have patience with these times. New is usually not disappointing. I love my 18 1000-5 deluxe. Luckily I bought it left over in September of 2019 before the the chaos we are dealing with now. Good luck!
They had 1000 units awaiting those steering wheels.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Steering wheels are like they came off of a lawnmower anyways. If I were the dealer I’d just buy a quick and easy few items and sell them with a much better steering wheel for 100$ extra.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!