P1000 New vs Used

K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So after putting down a deposit in May for a 1000-5 that was supposed to be delivered at the end of July I was just told the “newest” delivery list says mid-October. Disappointed of course, but not surprised. So am now checking out the used market. The prices are certainly not cheap but it seems that I can get a slightly used (2018 deluxe w/3000mi’s) that has most of the upgrades i’m looking for (probably ~4K worth) for slightly less than I was going to spend for a base model with no upgrades. It seems like a pretty good way to go, but my question to the knowledgeable masses is this: Is 3,000 miles relatively “low” for Pioneers? And what are some things I should ask and/or check on a used vehicle before buying? Any insights are welcome. Thanks.
I suspect Honda is suffering from no computer chips available just like the automotive industry. They probably have a warehouse full of machines waiting on the chips, maybe two year models even. Not their fault. I have a 2018 P1000-5 Deluxe and have 900 Miles on it, bought it in 2019 new. I am not recreational trail rider, I use it for deer hunting, farm chores and riding around county roads. I have not had any issues thus far but only have changed oil twice and serviced it once. With only 3000 miles I think I would ask to see the service records and/or when the oil was changed and any air filters changed. You can gain a lot of comfort just having the owner tell you what they have done and what kind of care they have taken. It would be good to understand their reason for selling it. Pop the bed up and look over the engine and underneath to see if it has been in rugged areas and any superficial damage. I live near abandoned coal strip mine riding areas. I personally would avoid buy a used one that has been ridden their a lot. The soil (Gob) is corrosive and the terrain is tough. I grew up riding dirt bikes in that area and rust from the acidic soil can cause some problems. Also, for a machine like these I would prefer to buy new so I know what I am getting, unless you find a used one that you can feel comfortable has been treated well.

R

Rlanclos

Feb 26, 2021
Louisiana
“Located on the upper Delaware River, Milford PA is part of the New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area, as well as the larger New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area.”, so you practically live in NYC? I guess you’re just not used to Upstate attitude. We are nicer and more respectful up here. By the way, you said you “have 30 years experience selling, fixing and working for Honda” but did you ever own a Honda SXS? Or did you leave Honda and go to work at a Yamaha dealer? I’m kidding, either way I don’t care and you can comment all you like. I won’t respond, I’ll just continue to report you to “the boss”.

Reactions: HBarlow
J

Jasontrabert5

Aug 2, 2021
Columbia City IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So after putting down a deposit in May for a 1000-5 that was supposed to be delivered at the end of July I was just told the “newest” delivery list says mid-October. Disappointed of course, but not surprised. So am now checking out the used market. The prices are certainly not cheap but it seems that I can get a slightly used (2018 deluxe w/3000mi’s) that has most of the upgrades i’m looking for (probably ~4K worth) for slightly less than I was going to spend for a base model with no upgrades. It seems like a pretty good way to go, but my question to the knowledgeable masses is this: Is 3,000 miles relatively “low” for Pioneers? And what are some things I should ask and/or check on a used vehicle before buying? Any insights are welcome. Thanks.
I recently did exactly what you described and purchased a 2017 with about 3200 miles and probably 3-4K in accessories. I had the same question about the miles and luckily have a friend that is a mechanic at our local honda dealer. He told me that 3200 miles is low and he has heard of machines with 30-40k miles on them. Maybe someone on here could chime in and conform if this is true?

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I suspect Honda is suffering from no computer chips available just like the automotive industry. They probably have a warehouse full of machines waiting on the chips, maybe two year models even. Not their fault. I have a 2018 P1000-5 Deluxe and have 900 Miles on it, bought it in 2019 new. I am not recreational trail rider, I use it for deer hunting, farm chores and riding around county roads. I have not had any issues thus far but only have changed oil twice and serviced it once. With only 3000 miles I think I would ask to see the service records and/or when the oil was changed and any air filters changed. You can gain a lot of comfort just having the owner tell you what they have done and what kind of care they have taken. It would be good to understand their reason for selling it. Pop the bed up and look over the engine and underneath to see if it has been in rugged areas and any superficial damage. I live near abandoned coal strip mine riding areas. I personally would avoid buy a used one that has been ridden their a lot. The soil (Gob) is corrosive and the terrain is tough. I grew up riding dirt bikes in that area and rust from the acidic soil can cause some problems. Also, for a machine like these I would prefer to buy new so I know what I am getting, unless you find a used one that you can feel comfortable has been treated well.
Agreed. Buying a used SXS is a bit more risking than buying your average used car. After reading all the posts of things that can go wrong based on user treatment ...not manufacturer caused...you can end up with some expensive fixes. I have bought a number of motorcycles, etc over the years off craigslist and have done very well but I can tell you if the picture displayed of whatever it is that I am looking at online is in a shi77y old garage with junk laying around....I move on. Point is that you can tell a lot onsite as to how someone cares for their vehicles, lawn mower, garage, house , etc.. etc... If things are clean and organized and well cared for...that's the guy I'll be much more likely to buy something from....

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can PROMISE you that HONDA cares, all the OEM's care! Dealers care and I can assure you that they are screaming at their District Sales Managers for these high demand products! They are ALL in business to make a profit. No sales, No Profits, End of Story.

Why would HONDA not do everything in their power to produce on of the hottest selling products in their line? Between semi-conductor shortages, labor shortages, COVID restrictions and the ensuing myriad of other supply chain issues, it is a miracle that they are making anything at all. It only takes a shortage of ONE key component from one supplier. Look at FORD and GM, they have Tens of Thousands (at least) of Trucks built and waiting for a few key electronic parts, parked on storage lots across the country.

I waited for parts to repair my 2016 for over 2 months at the height of the COVID scare. It is a buyers market. Anything that is on ANY dealers showroom floor is only there because of a couple of reasons:
1 - Dealer has said vehicle marked up way over retail and no one willing to pay the price.
2 - Vehicle is a less than desirable model.

Reactions: Mudwing and HBarlow
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Are you dealing with a POWERHOUSE Dealer for your purchase? The POWERHOUSE Dealers will get first choice of any available units. When production is low and demand is high, the POWERHOUSE dealer is where you might find units (and likely the highest prices). When demand is low and production is normal, almost all dealers will have stock and will be "making deals".

I bought used, not because of availability, but because I was not going to spend $20-25K for something to drive in the woods. Bought a "salvaged" 2016 1000-5 (blown engine and many other problems); rebuilt it to better than new. I've got about $10K in the machine, total. So I am way ahead of the game.

This only works if you have the knowledge, tools, money and plenty of time to invest in fixing up a (badly) used machine. Caveat Emptor - "let the buyer beware". Otherwise, My vote would be for new if you lack any of the above.

50+ years as a machinist, mechanic, HONDA Service Tech/Service Manager and Dealer GM. Good Luck.
A smart move on your part. You probably paid $5k or less for a piece of junk that is now worth, in this market, $18,000. I admire that but few have the knowledge, skill, tools, or time to do what you did.

J

Jasontrabert5

Aug 2, 2021
Columbia City IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you get the VIN you can have your local Honda dealer look up its service records and see what issues it has had, what updates it has had and or still needs.

Reactions: HBarlow
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently did exactly what you described and purchased a 2017 with about 3200 miles and probably 3-4K in accessories. I had the same question about the miles and luckily have a friend that is a mechanic at our local honda dealer. He told me that 3200 miles is low and he has heard of machines with 30-40k miles on them. Maybe someone on here could chime in and conform if this is true?
I was a HONDA dealer and have been a master mechanic for many years. I have seen many posts of these Pioneers with Tens of thousands of miles on the clock. As a HONDA Service Tech and Service Manager we saw many HONDA motorcycles with 100k miles and no major repairs.

How long a PIONEER (or any vehicle) will last is directly tied to how it is used and more importantly, how it is maintained. I have 4 vehicles with mileage ranging from 210K to 370K miles. All original engines and all capable of crossing the country without problems. All because of proper maintenance.

I bought a PIONEER 1000-5 that was abused and destroyed in under 4000 miles, I rebuilt it and expect it to outlast me. It is ALL about maintenance. Keep this in mind, "maintenance" is NOT just "oil changes", it takes a lot more than just oil changes to maintain these vehicles.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A smart move on your part. You probably paid $5k or less for a piece of junk that is now worth, in this market, $18,000. I admire that but few have the knowledge, skill, tools, or time to do what you did.
I can tell you that such a project is not for the faint at heart. Too bad that more folks don't learn the skills that it takes to do more for themselves. Although it takes tools, you would be surprised how few tools are actually needed. Mostly time. space, common sense and mechanical ability. My project was LITERALLY a "shade tree" project, as the PIONEER would not fit under my garage door. Saving $8-10K and having a great vehicle to use and enjoy is very satisfying. I smile every time we ride.

tonyspioneer

tonyspioneer

Jun 2, 2021
Colorado Springs
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was serious, Honda doesn't care. Time to look at other brands. I have 30 years experience selling, fixing and working for Honda. When I tell you that Honda doesn't care, I speak from experience.
The site is hondasxs.com. You’re not helping.

advertisement
J

Jon63ill

Feb 7, 2021
St louis
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own

3. Big Red
Check the steering. I test drove one and it did not steer straight. Looking at the control arms I found fresh welds. If the unit has been jumped there could be bent parts. The unit had 16000 miles but it started fine. I ended up just buying a new one.

T

TwoWolves

Jan 28, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2018 1000--3. Bought new from dealer in 2020. Now have 1000 miles on it. It's been my go to work vehicle of a little over a year. If I had bought mine in 2018 it would just now have about 3000 miles on it. If I sold mine, someone would get a really nice machine. Having said that, I would suggest the you search the internet for a dealer sitting on an older but new 1000. I got a really good deal because they couldn't move it. I paid 14,000 for a new, had 43mi., 2018 le3. Good luck in your search.

200X

200X

Sep 5, 2019
Northern Utah
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The advice to look at a Yamaha Wolverine is actually really good advice. A year ago I was in the market for a new SXS after getting rid of one that I couldn't stand to drive anymore. It was a 1000cc machine with lots of options. Definitely not a basic machine. I couldn't stand the engine heat and noisy engine and drive train. I looked really seriously at the Talon and P1000. And... I am a Honda guy too.. I have a few Honda ATVs and several motorcycles that I use and love. I also wanted to stay away from the CVT. When looking at the Talon and P1000 I liked them but had to be honest with myself. The noise and heat were only marginally better than the SXS I had just sold. I also looked at the fitment and finish of the cab area and saw lots of holes were dust can come in. I drove a friends Yamaha Wolverine and decided to take a closer look at it. The fit and finish of the cab area is top notch and the noise and heat are relatively non existent. I can have a normal conversation with my riders and enjoy the trip. I ended up buying one and have loved it ever since. It is a comfortable and very capable machine. I use it a lot and my family loves it too. It gets used WAAAY more than the previous one did. The Wolverine engine is an 850cc but I have never felt that I needed more.

Headlee

Headlee

Apr 22, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone I ride with always wishes they bought a honda. ride red !!

F

Floridahond

May 13, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
I read a lot of BS comments but I certainly didn't read them all so I don't know if you got your answer. I wouldn't hesitate to buy what you were talking about if the owner took care of it. I will say that although I own my first side by side and it's a pioneer that a CVT machine will definitely be much smoother and shifting. And belt life is inconsequential they last forever unless you really drown them over and over. Not saying jump ship but I would buy any Japanese model if it's suited your needs and the price was right and of course the timing was right what you need as well.

I would definitely consider Pioneer with 3,000 mi or 4,000 or 5,000 as long as the price was right and the upkeep was great.

B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I think I would have someone experienced put a scope down into the cylinders and possibly the lower engine to make sure the thing wasn't abused and do a compression test at a minimum. Spending a couple of hundred $ on a good mechanic to check it out would be money well spent IMHO.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!