Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IMG 7136
Much quicker! 15 minutes it's cut, adjusted glued and ready for next step. I'm beat going home to see the fam. Hopefully I'll get more then 2.5 hours tomorrow need to get done so We can ride soon

Toyhauler33

Toyhauler33

Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2016
Mid Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm only 1 dog beer. You're on the right thought process. I was wondering who'd get that, leave it to the race car guy! Foam hates solvents so there lies an issue but I'm testing that as the foam takes shape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YOU may be able to wrap your foam frame with aluminum foil before you start with the fiberglass resin (if your doing resin). I've used this on several different side projects...

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
YOU may be able to wrap your foam frame with aluminum foil before you start with the fiberglass resin (if your doing resin). I've used this on several different side projects...

That would work that's a good idea. I had thought about duct tape as well

Reactions: Smitty335 and pct
pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking good my long distance friend have you thought of glad wrap it should work to or the plastic that you use to cover cars that you are painting you should have that on hand HaHa keep up the good work

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
There have been very good suggestions here and honestly many would work. The easiest route I see is to go over the whole frame with tape duct tape would be the best but also masking tape because once sandwiched inside neither should fail the problem though anything you use that could bunch up will be lots of added work later. Sometimes it's best to bite the Bullet up front. Fiberglass is very easy to work with but has limitations.
I figure I'll use waterborne sealer to cover most of the divots but it won't stick to plastics so I'll adhesion promote it then use an epoxy primer as a light base because it really sticks. I want the glass to stick to the foam for added rigidly. I'll show how I'm going about it as I do it so anyone else doesn't need to go through the testing. So it's looking like three steps till glass. Headed to wrecking yard now to see about hardware.i need to figure what's going on the door before glass starts
Also mounting the window obviously is tough it'll be number 3 for problems. The best I came up with is headrest posts from a car. It would be simple to click down and release but to solidify the mounts into the cheesy doors even though can be done will be difficult. Im exploring other options

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I figured I'd make this so people that don't know can see what happens to styrofoam with chemicals are used on it will do. Epoxy works ok with 2 light coats. Waterborne (the white) doesn't have any effect on it. Someone could even use house paint for this but adhesion wouldn't be as good

J

JTW

There have been very good suggestions here and honestly many would work. The easiest route I see is to go over the whole frame with tape duct tape would be the best but also masking tape because once sandwiched inside neither should fail the problem though anything you use that could bunch up will be lots of added work later. Sometimes it's best to bite the Bullet up front. Fiberglass is very easy to work with but has limitations.
I figure I'll use waterborne sealer to cover most of the divots but it won't stick to plastics so I'll adhesion promote it then use an epoxy primer as a light base because it really sticks. I want the glass to stick to the foam for added rigidly. I'll show how I'm going about it as I do it so anyone else doesn't need to go through the testing. So it's looking like three steps till glass. Headed to wrecking yard now to see about hardware.i need to figure what's going on the door before glass starts
Also mounting the window obviously is tough it'll be number 3 for problems. The best I came up with is headrest posts from a car. It would be simple to click down and release but to solidify the mounts into the cheesy doors even though can be done will be difficult. Im exploring other options
Have you seen these?

IMG 1052

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
And thank you. All ideas are being looked so I didn't mean that negatively. I sure wish I could use the window from that!

Forget the windows and think cameras and dash mount monitor...o_O hmmm..more electrical work...lol;)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Forget the windows and think cameras and dash mount monitor...o_O hmmm..more electrical work...lol;)

Hey I'm already working down the road it a 360 perimeter camera. It's got four cameras throughout the vehicle and it ties them altogether

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Finally back to the machine. The wrecking yard didn't exactly have what I had in mind and what measurements needed but we'll make some of it work. Grabbed as much from Honda as I could because well I guess I'm brand specific

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally back to the machine. The wrecking yard didn't exactly have what I had in mind and what measurements needed but we'll make some of it work. Grabbed as much from Honda as I could because well I guess I'm brand specific View attachment 25776
Good deal, how much was the bic? Lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Good deal, how much was the bic? Lol

12$ I'm a cheapskate. Kinda lol. Only have 150 to get this project done. But that's a 2000k saving over hard doors and they wouldn't fit anyways

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm hoping these will come off easy. Looked at headrest posts for install but there would be to much wiggle even with understructure built. Figuring the structure of the door now. Needed access but it'll give me a nice pocket to expand foam later. I hadn't done that to this machine yet because of this and a couple other things. 3afb2987ba1e678e70e4f50f0bc3efad

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!