Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
There's 100 ways to do the same thing usually but this is a little tougher. Had three different options but all will fail for what I wanted. I want tough convertible hard doors that seal well and under 30sec to remove for storage behind the rear seats. They can't stick out past the cage or they'll be litter, need to hold up in the sticks with dependable easy replaced parts. I want them super lightweight for overall stability. Since you've been looking at it I'm sure you know the difficulty of the angles of the doors and front windshield edge to the roof. Not positive yet what the middle variables are but moving in on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the neater door mods I have seen for functional durablility were 3/4 doors shoulder height made from solid UHMW 5/8" thick. meant to survive heavy rock scraping. They did from what I saw. They may not be warm but we're tough as nails.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You guys are funny!
Well got most of the mounting brackets made I'm sure it'll be strong. I'll add those pics later and added first layer of expansion foam in up into the hinge areas. it is much easier with hole in the doors.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IMG 7141
Definitely looks different. Got 2 coats epoxy and 3 heavy waterborne laid out ready for glass. Be next weekend I guess before it's done. Test fit mounts everything looks good. Next phase.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'll use the same idea but haven't spent much time on that. That piece has to be there because of the way the door opens. Once the uppers are done I'll finish up on those.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IMG 7142
Going to be a little weird at first looking out but because of the shape it worked better. Also give it serious strength to have the 15 degree angle in the center post.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Hey CP, Isn't glass over foam a thing?
With the right foam it's shape it and slap on the mat + resin.

One-Off Construction Using Fiberglass Over Foam

Disclaimer, I bought plans for the Tri-Magnum back in the early '80s when I was a teenager.
I still think it's cool as hell, but I haven't built it yet, got distracted by a girl (then family then work...).
Man, just noticed the '80s where a long time ago.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Damn you @lee you're full of good information! Yes I believe that's using a different type of foam more resistant. I do know they make different resins that can be used but they aren't as strong or quick to dry. This foam was pretty painless to use once I decided on waterborne but I'll be looking into that because it appears to be more dense that may be how it gets by. Maybe I'll do the backs in that and compare. It would be easier for people without the facility so that will be good to show the difference. Thank you again kind sir! Sure like this forum. I'll try it next go round.
Ya but the 80's kicked ass I missed the last part because of work but some good times. When I figure out how to redo some of them I'll get back with ya!

J

JTW

Damn you @lee you're full of good information! Yes I believe that's using a different type of foam more resistant. I do know they make different resins that can be used but they aren't as strong or quick to dry. This foam was pretty painless to use once I decided on waterborne but I'll be looking into that because it appears to be more dense that may be how it gets by. Maybe I'll do the backs in that and compare. It would be easier for people without the facility so that will be good to show the difference. Thank you again kind sir! Sure like this forum. I'll try it next go round.
Ya but the 80's kicked ass I missed the last part because of work but some good times. When I figure out how to redo some of them I'll get back with ya!
I was born in 85!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
As stated prior I haven't previously tried to prime over foam. I got curious what the adhesion is like so I sanded through the primer so see how it worked and not that it matters a ton because it'll be sandwiched in with fiberglass but the epoxy done by the book doesn't sand it peels. Here you can see the darker color of grey is epoxy prepped out well but pulled off
IMG 7153

So I used waterborne directly over the foam with no prep whatsoever as a test panel and it featured back very nicely. So....I'll go back through this thread and update but the "correct " path didn't work as well but simply adding waterborne primer with no prep does very well. Who knew? Just wanted this to be accurate and upfront, what the hell it saves a ton of time and effort. Few coats of waterborne is all that's needed-simple.
IMG 7154

whayden2003

whayden2003

Mar 3, 2016
Slaughter,LA
I see you are into the primer stage. But I wonder if you could panel bond some aluminum sheeting to it first. I get mine from Denver sign company. Comes in 4X8 sheets. I use it to make spray panels and such.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I see you are into the primer stage. But I wonder if you could panel bond some aluminum sheeting to it first. I get mine from Denver sign company. Comes in 4X8 sheets. I use it to make spray panels and such.

Aluminum sheeting how do you mean?

Reactions: Smitty335 and pct
whayden2003

whayden2003

Mar 3, 2016
Slaughter,LA
I'm also curious about how they are going to open. Sorry if this has been said already. I may have missed it. I am very turned into this. This is in my wheelhouse of projects I would love to do. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

whayden2003

whayden2003

Mar 3, 2016
Slaughter,LA
The stuff is basically what they make dirtcar panels out of. If the panel bond would stick to it. The foam sandwiched between to sheets of this stuff glued with the 3M panelbond would be more than stout enough I would think.

Reactions: Smitty335 and pct

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!