Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Looks like it will be more than enough material for both doors! Love that the whole family is involved in this project! :)
I'm guessing that you are kicked back in a folding chair with a cold one while the family gets er done:confused: lol
Can't wait to see finished project!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IMG 7218
No I was doing this:) notice the window recess. I x-ed previous and built these.
IMG 7217

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Looking good!

Thank you Eltobgi! I may black out the center post but the lexan I currently have is bronze so I don't want that clash. Looks different it's going to take a bit to get use to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Sure be cheaper!

Reactions: Smitty335 and pct
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thank you Eltobgi! I may black out the center post but the lexan I currently have is bronze so I don't want that clash. Looks different it's going to take a bit to get use to it.

I'll tell you what will not take a bit to get used to...an enclosed custom one of a kind cab during freezing northern temps! If you don't like the bronze look there is always window film!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'll tell you what will not take a bit to get used to...an enclosed custom one of a kind cab during freezing northern temps! If you don't like the bronze look there is always window film!
I really want clear I think for the sides. The front one will be 1/8 tempered when I can. It will be nice to have an enclosed cab again though. Once these are done I'll start designing the rear it'll go better because I at least have a path now

advertisement
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sweet mother of Christ. That is gorgeous. I was thinking of just making a whole door since the factory doors don't seal at all anyway. I was thinking thin gauge square tubing or solid 3/8 plywood glassed over. Care to divulge materials used?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I really want clear I think for the sides. The front one will be 1/8 tempered when I can. It will be nice to have an enclosed cab again though. Once these are done I'll start designing the rear it'll go better because I at least have a path now
I hear there is a storm rolling through. It's supposed to drop up to 5" on us by the end of the week! I'm looking forward to it! I'll throw on my winter gear and take the Beast out to play in the snow for the first time;)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Sweet mother of Christ. That is gorgeous. I was thinking of just making a whole door since the factory doors don't seal at all anyway. I was thinking thin gauge square tubing or solid 3/8 plywood glassed over. Care to divulge materials used?
Good call! 23/32 pine plywood is what I started with this time around. It was 11 layers so it was super dense. Then glass over. The reason I changed up is that I wanted the windows to sit flush on the door so nothing catches. The upper doors sit in the center of the ROPS so they'll take less abuse. When I tried to get the glassed foam to recess for it things got bad quick. There wasn't enough lip for strength for windows to sit on the back egde. The wing windows operating would have gotten tricky as well. There is some more weight but the glass didn't need to be as thick either so it's only about 3lbs/side more. It'll be easier for someone else to build and the uppers won't require bracing glassed inside to mount to. Not excited to use wood but it's encased so it'll stay good.
I tried many things but for strength and lightweight this seemed to be the best. I was close to going aluminum full doors at the end but still wanted them to separate. I've measured all gaps around the door and have a pretty good selection of seals straight from eBay. The whole door will seal good

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I hear there is a storm rolling through. It's supposed to drop up to 5" on us by the end of the week! I'm looking forward to it! I'll throw on my winter gear and take the Beast out to play in the snow for the first time;)
The hills around us have been white I'm pissed. Less camping for us

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good call! 23/32 pine plywood is what I started with this time around. It was 11 layers so it was super dense. Then glass over. The reason I changed up is that I wanted the windows to sit flush on the door so nothing catches. The upper doors sit in the center of the ROPS so they'll take less abuse. When I tried to get the glassed foam to recess for it things got bad quick. There wasn't enough lip for strength for windows to sit on the back egde. The wing windows operating would have gotten tricky as well. There is some more weight but the glass didn't need to be as thick either so it's only about 3lbs/side more. It'll be easier for someone else to build and the uppers won't require bracing glassed inside to mount to. Not excited to use wood but it's encased so it'll stay good.
I tried many things but for strength and lightweight this seemed to be the best. I was close to going aluminum full doors at the end but still wanted them to separate. I've measured all gaps around the door and have a pretty good selection of seals straight from eBay. The whole door will seal good
I like it. I like working with wood, it's easier to manipulate and make to what you want. I wouldn't worry too much on the weight. Another 100 lb wouldn't matter when you've already got 7 people in it as it is lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well I don't like weight up high for sure and and the current hinges will only take so much but will take this I'm thinking.
I've only got the rear mount done that was pretty easy I basically put a longer bolt in the upper back outer cladding piece and a nutsert on on top and built a bracket. The front isn't completed yet but I built a bracket for the inside of the door. I'll update with pictures once completed

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!