P1000 Official Honda Clutch Fix Incoming

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
I just got back from H/M trails, and while there saw two P1000-5 at the resort we stayed at. Another guest was about to take his brand new machine on the trails for the first time with his family, so he couldn't give me much feedback. The resort had one,(2017) and a guy I met on a group ride- he was riding with a buddy in an rzr1000 had one. The employees at the resort said they wouldn't use the honda if they could avoid it cuz the clutch chatter, and "jerkiness" was too annoying to deal with vs using the terrex for work around the resort. The guy riding in the rzr, said his 6 week old 2018 P1000-5 was sitting at the dealer with fried clutches. I guess what I'm saying, is that honda still has problems with the P1000, and it may not be as isolated as we're being led to believe, and, one would assume a brand new 2018 would have all the 'fixes' installed.

So your buddy's west virginia group ride friend's nephson's 2019 already burnt his clutches up? Dang.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Time will tell... but I don't think the 18's have even been out for 6 weeks
He didn't actually say the word '2018', he said "brand new with less than a "hunerd mials on the **$&*$$*" so maybe it is a 2017... I assumed..... First time I rode with this group, and my P500 had no issues following in the tight trails where the big machines had to make 3-point turns in some places:)- except on open ground- that part was embarrassing...:(

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
He didn't actually say the word '2018', he said "brand new with less than a "hunerd mials on the **$&*$$*" so maybe it is a 2017... I assumed..... First time I rode with this group, and my P500 had no issues following in the tight trails where the big machines had to make 3-point turns in some places:)- except on open ground- that part was embarrassing...:(
Don't usually have to make 3 point turns if they'd use roof as a pivot point:)

H

HondaTech

I just installed our dealerships first Clutch update today on a 17 model Non-PS 3 seater. Customer complained of shifting issues.

The new feeling this machine has is amazing. No more shutter as you take off, almost seems more like letting the clutch out on a manual quad, easy and great feeling engagement. Same feeling when climbing hills, no more of the flutter/shutter I use to feel when climbing a abrupt incline with some speed. I dare say their on to something.

With parts in hand here's the changes:

New outer clutch guide gear with more wholes in the teeth and a couple new holes in the outer face.

New bearing for the main shaft to ride on, smaller balls but now comes sealed on one side.

New clutch cover with a orifice drilled with a passage to the emergency valve circuit. They've included a orifice to fit in this hole as well.

H

HondaTech

When I read about the clutch "fix", I was skeptical. Extra oil flow may help keep clutches cooler during easy, flat surface riding but it doesn't take a genius to know that if your engine is spinning at 2500 rpm and your clutches are rubbing surfaces while not turning at all, catastrophic heat from the friction will build up in seconds. It's just not designed for heavy use and abuse like an RZR. I think if it's used in a practical manner like on flat roads and never towing anything, it's a machine that will probably hold up like an RZR or similar machine. Just use it within it's design parameters and I doubt there will be any more problems than seen with other SXS.

RZR can't take abuse, just ask my buddy who broke all 4 axles last weekend on his. Polaris and everyone else can't build something that you can beat the s*** out of and keep going, even Honda cant. I guarantee there's a guy out there who can tear anything up you build. I know 2 P1K owners who've got over 5,000 miles of hard farm use and not put a clutch in either. Couple axle boots, and services but no clutches, bearings, or bushings.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
RZR can't take abuse, just ask my buddy who broke all 4 axles last weekend on his. Polaris and everyone else can't build something that you can beat the s*** out of and keep going, even Honda cant. I guarantee there's a guy out there who can tear anything up you build. I know 2 P1K owners who've got over 5,000 miles of hard farm use and not put a clutch in either. Couple axle boots, and services but no clutches, bearings, or bushings.
Even with the issues I've had with our P1, I'm glad we bought the Honda. Just installed the water ingestion fix, now thats slick and easy. The seat heat fix from Honda works pretty well also. Can't wait to get the clutch mod done! Go Honda!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I just installed our dealerships first Clutch update today on a 17 model Non-PS 3 seater. Customer complained of shifting issues.

The new feeling this machine has is amazing. No more shutter as you take off, almost seems more like letting the clutch out on a manual quad, easy and great feeling engagement. Same feeling when climbing hills, no more of the flutter/shutter I use to feel when climbing a abrupt incline with some speed. I dare say their on to something.

With parts in hand here's the changes:

New outer clutch guide gear with more wholes in the teeth and a couple new holes in the outer face.

New bearing for the main shaft to ride on, smaller balls but now comes sealed on one side.

New clutch cover with a orifice drilled with a passage to the emergency valve circuit. They've included a orifice to fit in this hole as well.
This is very encouraging to me:):):)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!