Oil change suggestions

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Jul 18, 2022
Ellabell GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for a ideas for oil change kits this will be the second one buggy has 980 miles on it now I think what’s the best oil how much do I need I don’t wanna pay dealer prices any help is appreciated thanks in advance

21 pioneer 1000-5 LE

Reactions: Biteme
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The best oil is the one you have on hand that is wet clutch compliant. But asking the question will get you some entertaining opinions so I’m going to grab my popcorn and watch!
🍿 🍿🍿🍿

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
All you need to know about how to and what u need. Asking what oil is best on here is like asking whats the best ketchup or Peanut butter to buy 😂 FYI if u must know, ive used Rotella T6 5-40 in my rigs since 16’ no issues.

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Jul 18, 2022
Ellabell GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great thanks for all the info guys one more question do you use the same oil for the engine and sun transmission?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If you're a skilled mechanic please ignore my caution. But if you're not, be careful when you drain the engine and sub-transmission.
You apparently already know since you asked what oil to use in the sub-transmission - the engine and sub-transmission must each be refilled. Some sub-transmissions have been drained but not refilled.

Reactions: Biteme and TripleB
Bigmanlittlebuggy

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Jul 18, 2022
Ellabell GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you're a skilled mechanic please ignore my caution. But if you're not, be careful when you drain the engine and sub-transmission.
You apparently already know since you asked what oil to use in the sub-transmission - the engine and sub-transmission must each be refilled. Some sub-transmissions have been drained but not refilled.
Thanks Yes I know there are 2 fill spots one for engine under rear floor board and sub trans under front seat I think but what I’m confused about is weather it’s ok to use the same oil that you use for engine or should I use something different trying to find a manual on it as I did not get one

advertisement
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks Yes I know there are 2 fill spots one for engine under rear floor board and sub trans under front seat I think but what I’m confused about is weather it’s ok to use the same oil that you use for engine or should I use something different trying to find a manual on it as I did not get one

Yes, you can use Honda brand oil or any that meets the same oil specifications listed on a Honda oil bottle. Using motor oil with the correct specs is important because of the "wet clutches."

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
...what I’m confused about is weather it’s ok to use the same oil that you use for engine or should I use something different trying to find a manual on it as I did not get one
The most important spec is the engine oil because it's shared with your DCT. It requires an oil that is wet clutch compatible. (Marked MA)

The subtrans can use pretty much any engine oil.

So yes, the oil specified for the engine/dct is also OK in the subtrans, but what you *can* use in the subtrans isn't necessarily OK to use in the engine /DCT.

Last edited:
Bigmanlittlebuggy

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Jul 18, 2022
Ellabell GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
BTW, you can get a copy of your owners manual here: Keep it on your phone and it's always available on the trail.

Awesome I will save it now thanks I ordered the GN4 10w-30 pro Honda oil for my engine I will use that in the trans as well I also ordered some valvoline 80w-90 high performance gear oil for my diffs just waiting on all of it to come in

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Awesome I will save it now thanks I ordered the GN4 10w-30 pro Honda oil for my engine I will use that in the trans as well I also ordered some valvoline 80w-90 high performance gear oil for my diffs just waiting on all of it to come in
Or better yet, become a Life/supporting memeber of the forum and have accsess to that and more manuals

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Jul 18, 2022
Ellabell GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So just pulled my sub trans dip stick and there is a white fluid on the end is that normal

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Jul 18, 2022
Ellabell GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So just pulled my sub trans dip stick and there is a white fluid on the end is that normal
Any body know how this could have happened and how can I prevent it from happening again

324C55D6 F165 48EB AAAE A74ECE43B25D

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!