P1000 Overheating & need more power using Matt tracks

M

Mayorbill

Feb 1, 2021
Springville Ca. 93265
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run my Pioneer 1000-5 at 7000ft in the snow with Matt Tracks ! Over heating and less power than my friends CanAm with Can am tracks !I need more power ! Would 100 octane AV gas help! Power chip?
Why am I over heating , loosing power and missing !

Reactions: Lady01
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I run my Pioneer 1000-5 at 7000ft in the snow with Matt Tracks ! Over heating and less power than my friends CanAm with Can am tracks !I need more power ! Would 100 octane AV gas help! Power chip?

A little more details are needed to be able offer any suggestions of value.
In what order did things happen? Did it get hot, and lose power, and start missing?
Was it under powered from square one and using it at full load make it over heat?

Tuning it will give it a little more power, but tuning a malfunctioning engine with only hide the problem and frustrate the tuner.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm running Camso tracks at 9000' (have for 4 years now) and have never had a overheating issue. Always have had enough power to get what I needed to get done done. I just took a pretty long ride thru Virgin powder thru 3' drifts and had to downshift to keep the revs up, at times but no lack of power. If your tracks are set up right they supposedly have less rolling resistance than wheels. At least according to Camso. Are you running the tracks too tight? That will kill power and gas mileage. Having spent years doing the snowcat thing I run tracks as loose as possible.

All that said, P1000 Isn't going to keep up most tracked CanAms. Especially if they are running a straight snow factory track which is aggressive.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another thought might be that you have a run lean condition. A friend with a P1000 had this issue. He started to run hot enough to melt a hole in the floorboard and it some time for Honda to sort it out. IIRC it was an ecu issue and needed a reflash. He also rides at hi altitudes. He is a is a very accomplished mechanic and both him and Honda tech were baffled for a time figuring out the issue.

Reactions: TripleB
K

KERN

Jan 16, 2019
Bakersfield California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run a P1000 with Mattracks UR3 Plus tracks, Mattracks | M3 Series ATV & Side by Side Tracks and it overheats. The issue is we offload at 3000' and travel to 8900' in 30 miles, running at 4000-5000 RPM with the speed odometer registering 40-45 MPH. However, the ground speed is 10-15 MPH due to the 3:1 gearing in the tracks. We are not getting enough airflow due to slow ground speed.

The Honda P1000 is designed to be air cooled and has the stock rear fan (puller) controlled by the computer for times at idle . We had issues with the computer not turning on the fan (or sometimes coming on too late), or turning off. By the time the 4 bar was lite and the yellow overheating light came on, we had already puked out the blue coolant. (so much for early warning).

Yesterday, I installed the fan override switch (purchased for the club store), a new pusher fan in the front and upgrade the factory fan to a higher cfm. Also added the second battery and have both fans on switches. With everything on the voltage drops from 14.2 to 13.1 and pulls 20 amps.

As for power lost, the higher elevation and heat will cause horsepower lost. These are great machines but clearly not designed to run Mattracks in the mountains.

IMG 1681 IMG 1680 IMG 1656

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
K

KERN

Jan 16, 2019
Bakersfield California
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I would not change fuel or add a power chip. You need to solve the overheating issue first.

Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!