Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
$7995 is the base price. I have come to grips that this is going to cost me at a minimum $10k if I buy something. Even if I build something, I suspect it will cost me $5k+...

Rob
They have two models, Overlook and Ascend, I think the base price of the Overlook is $6,495.00

Reactions: ChadD
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Everyone,

In light of the recent Rimrocker trail ride in the went and a few other rides that are planned for next year, I have been interested in pulling a micro overlanding trailer to make these trips more enjoyable for my wife. We can no doubt tent camp, but sleeping on the ground nor a cot is really what she wants to do. I have a P520, so adding a roof top tent is likely out of the question for many reasons: the roof line and lack of space as well as being very tippy.

I know of a few people that have pulled teardrop trailers, and while that would be an easy fix, most of them are either to heavy or poorly constructed for offroad adventures. I am also trying to work within the boundaries of the same width, similar ground clearance and no taller than my machine. That way, if my buggy makes it through the trail, so should my trailer. It also has to have a good suspension for being on trails and terrible roads.

Weight is a huge concern, less is always more when pulling... To that end, I am trying to stay as low a weight as possible. A very good member here, Montecresto enlightened me that trying to pull 1,000 pounds up steep rocky trails might be more than my rig can handle. After thinking about it for a while, I am not sure many of our Honda SXS can be asked to do this. Most will have the power to do it, but will either lack traction or get pushed around by a trailer that weights 2/3rds of what the SXS weighs. To that end, I'm trying to shoot for a fully loaded trailer to come in at 600 ponds, certainly no more than 700.

I have identified a couple of trailers that may work, but of course we have thousands of members that have been doing this a lot longer than I have. There is the Tentrax trailer and the Trail Stomper that I have found as good starting points. Does anyone know of anything else close?

I'm starting to think I may just need to fabricate a trailer out of aluminum and start building the rest from there. Montecresto had a total failure of his teardrop due to lack of adequate suspension that lead to broken seals on the body that let water in to rot the wood construction. So no wood will be used in my build. How many have gone down the road of building a true Overlanding trailer for behind your UTV?

Thanks for your help guys! The Peace Trail ride is a mere 13 or so months away and I want to have this solved long before that ride so I can have time to test prior to a big ride.

Rob
Sounds like your issue is not the trailer or configuration of said trailer…sounds like you need to converse with your co-pilot on what is fun for her. Not sleeping on ground or cot = camper trailer….

Ive seen this story before first hand. That’s why my “overlanding rig” is a 40’ toy hauler that hauls the P1k5.

Scoff all you want, but this is reality.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sounds like your issue is not the trailer or configuration of said trailer…sounds like you need to converse with your co-pilot on what is fun for her. Not sleeping on ground or cot = camper trailer….

Ive seen this story before first hand. That’s why my “overlanding rig” is a 40’ toy hauler that hauls the P1k5.

Scoff all you want, but this is reality.
Yeah, depends on the mama…..😂

We have an A class (had the same 40’ TH as you) and we’ve done a dozen overlanding treks with a tiny tear drop. Mine enjoys both…..😊👍

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
i dont think dragging a trailer around on trails is what the machines are ment for. id say they are built for the trails, or to work around home pulling a trailer. 600lbs will get a tire/suspension/frame and thats about it. if its going to be built to withstand the beating that will ensue. aluminum is lightweight, but is rigid and cracks. steel flexes. i bought a nice aluminum enclosed trailer and that thing was a pogo stick, it went back to the dealer and swapped for a steel.
I somewhat agree here. I don't know if I would say the Pioneer 520 is a great trail riding machine. I would say a better trail machine would be the Talons. I do think that they are meant to work, even the little one like I have. I can for sure see the concern that doing both trail riding and pulling the trailer at the same time, might be an issue. Montecresto has recommended that I not pull a heavy load for sure.

I have a feeling I may end up with a rack for the bed with a roof top tent on it instead of a trailer.

SickSecBeamer

SickSecBeamer

Oct 13, 2017
Jax,Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why not use a utility trailer and put a foldable top on it? I have mesh sides that I can swap out and sleep in it 21d8de85d7981fb4f52e9381128cbd24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
A rooftop tent setup on a custom built off road trailer base with pull out drawers underneath the tent along with some water and fuel storage and potentially a small genset is the best plan I’ve been able to come up with. A trailer coupler allowing enough independent vertical and horizontal articulation would be a key.

If you aren’t into a tent then folding panels could be built on top but would raise the weight aspect.

You could get into a smaller footprint trailer if you went with a hammock sleeping setup and plan a deployment frame.

Ultimately getting SxS and trailer up an incline can be accomplished with your winch. Consider a rear mount winch on the SxS and a swing down front limited swivel tire on the trailer or a tongue mount winch on the trailer. That would allow you to uncouple and winch the trailer up behind you. Chalk wheels and repeat as needed.
Good advice here, and quite a few of the things I have thought about.

After hearing of the washouts and rocky terrain of the Rimrocker, I am want to make sure I am not the weakest link on the trail next time. I know there were a few people that got stuck on that ride, and I believe there was some time lost by all while the machines were being extracted.

Mounting a small winch on the trailer tongue seems to make the most sense. I plan on having at least one battery on the trailer to run lights and charge phones and other electronics while moving and at camp. Would work well to self recover if need be.

Rob

Reactions: JenElio and ChadD
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Why not use a utility trailer and put a foldable top on it? I have mesh sides that I can swap out and sleep in it View attachment 294554

Hi,

Thanks for chiming in.

I do have a small 5x8' utility trailer, but its far larger than I want to tow. a little heavy and too wide for my liking.

Rob

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I somewhat agree here. I don't know if I would say the Pioneer 520 is a great trail riding machine. I would say a better trail machine would be the Talons. I do think that they are meant to work, even the little one like I have. I can for sure see the concern that doing both trail riding and pulling the trailer at the same time, might be an issue. Montecresto has recommended that I not pull a heavy load for sure.

I have a feeling I may end up with a rack for the bed with a roof top tent on it instead of a trailer.
Even the guys with Pioneer 1000’s on the Rimrocker preferred to get to camp, unload everything, then go for afternoon and evening rides on the side trips….👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Why not use a utility trailer and put a foldable top on it? I have mesh sides that I can swap out and sleep in it View attachment 294554

Well, that trailer is much too large and has street suspension, so it wouldn’t be suited to our purposes. But thanks for the suggestion…😊👍

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I'm sure my co-pilot would be willing to do what ever, if I chose to push the subject. I'm trying to secure future trips by making it pleasant for the first one.

SickSecBeamer

SickSecBeamer

Oct 13, 2017
Jax,Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, that trailer is much too large and has street suspension, so it wouldn’t be suited to our purposes. But thanks for the suggestion…

I didn’t say that trailer that it mine….you can get a smaller one and get a different axle/suspension when you build it and make it a true off road trailer…which you can put a tent on or make a custom top like I did…..

I actually fold that down and tow my 1000-5 in it then un load then hook it to my pioneer to haul
To where we are camping.

Whoever was talking about making one as light as possible that would be the best starting point

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I didn’t say that trailer that it mine….you can get a smaller one and get a different axle/suspension when you build it and make it a true off road trailer…which you can put a tent on or make a custom top like I did…..

I actually fold that down and tow my 1000-5 in it then un load then hook it to my pioneer to haul
To where we are camping.

Whoever was talking about making one as light as possible that would be the best starting point

Great idea! I have seen some HF trailers that are 4x6 which could be used as a platform. I believe that Montecresto might be right that none of would have the right suspension to keep everything happy.

I would likely be better off starting one from the ground up so I could get the right suspension under it from the begining.

Rob

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yep, exactly. It’s the purpose of the thread….😎👍
And I’m sorry if you thought I was attributing something to your post you didn’t intend on conveying….😊

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Great idea! I have seen some HF trailers that are 4x6 which could be used as a platform. I believe that Montecresto might be right that none of would have the right suspension to keep everything happy.

I would likely be better off starting one from the ground up so I could get the right suspension under it from the begining.

Rob
I’m really liking the Tentrax. Two questions though, what is its maximum width, and what kind of suspension exactly. Because I can’t see how it has long travel suspension like the Boony Stomper does with what appears to be a scant couple of inches between the tires and the fenders…..🤔

3E96E2F0 01D3 4B49 AFB8 51D235F563A1

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Yeah, not nearly as much info on the site as I would like to have. I think the Timbren axles are an option for that trailer or maybe one of the other ones I have looked at.

I'm looking at a hard sided roof top tent right now from Redtail Overland.

This on top of a light utility trailer might be a winner. Looking at the 90 mid level. My wife actually endorsed it... including the price.

Rob

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah, not nearly as much info on the site as I would like to have. I think the Timbren axles are an option for that trailer or maybe one of the other ones I have looked at.

I'm looking at a hard sided roof top tent right now from Redtail Overland.

This on top of a light utility trailer might be a winner. Looking at the 90 mid level. My wife actually endorsed it... including the price.

Rob
SOB….😳😳😳
Did you see the prices on them things…..????

It’s way larger than your P5 roof and the configuration of the roof could be a problem for securing it. It’s base weight is 250 lbs too. With all your gear you’re going to be 500 lbs on the machine….not sure about that on a P5 suspension…..🤔

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!